Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

I'm VERY concerned about an e-mail I received...Please Help!

Old 11-30-2001, 02:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I'm VERY concerned about an e-mail I received...Please Help!

I received an e-mail from the following individual:

Subject: Re: New Order from Mcart
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 22:35:27 -0800

Now I ask, does anyone know who David McCune is? This e-mail came with no text, only two file attachements. The attachments were 40K in total size. One is titled file.html, the other is titled S3MSONG.DOC.scr

In case I went into a "mental S2000 ordering fog", and considering the Subject of David's e-mail, can anyone explain what "Mcart" is/does? I know I placed an order for a 2002 S2000 calendar...and I know that the web address during the ordering process included "mcart"...so my assumption is that this e-mail is related to that calendar order and therefore probably benign...

However, my anxiety is heightened because I sent a reply to David's e-mail, and received a Mail Daemon from Yahoo.com. I received *another* confirmation e-mail for the calendar order from "Coastal Metals" [i]rather than that e-mail saying "David McCune"...but both had same e-mail address "technically"...only David's had a preceding "_" before the beginning of his e-mail address which might have thrown the Daemon???

I always play it cautious when it comes to a potential virus keeping me from playing on my S2K forum! Anyone think they can offer some insight on this issue??? Also figured that others might have this same issue, even if it is benign (and simply Norton AntiV being overly cautious)...since others will be ordering the S2K 2002 calendars...

Much thanks in advance!
Old 11-30-2001, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A *.scr is a Microsoft script file. NEVER open a *.scr file attached to an e-mail of unknown origins. These simple little scripts can wreak havoc on your machine. I think McAfee accepts these things through their virus site. If you send it to them they might analyze it and put out a warning to the rest of the world (assuming it is a virus).

I think the Anna K. virus was spread this way. The subject was Naked pictures of Anna and attached was a file called Anna.gif.scr or something like that. Guys (and girls) would open it and then all hell broke loose on their machine.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:43 AM

I think David McCune is "Axcilla". He makes the grill inserts, etc. at Coastal Metals,and he was involved with the calendar sales.
Old 11-30-2001, 03:59 AM

Just open the file in Notepad. That won't launch a virus, however you will be able to determine if it has some type of programming behind it. .scr files are also screensave files although if it came out of word it wouldn't surprise me if it is some type of word macro virus.
Old 11-30-2001, 04:44 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

See this:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data...trans.b@mm.html

It will give you instructions to make sure you're not infected. If you are, it will tell you how to clean your system.

Good luck.

JonasM
Old 11-30-2001, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David McCune is Axcilla with Coastal.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:12 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

*nod* Yep, most likely the Badtrans virus. I got one sent to me this morning by a vendor.
Old 11-30-2001, 06:16 AM

These scripts usually just send itself to everybody in your contacts/address book. It is most likely that somebody at this particular vendor opened it and it propagated to everybody in their mailing list. This is more of a worm than a virus.

Some however can stay resident on your machine and wake up every now and again and do things to frustrate the hell out of you.
Old 11-30-2001, 07:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got an email the other day from Elena Caso titled "Re:Re: Muz mat" with an attachment. There was no text in the email, and not recognizing the sender, I didn't open it.

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K...
Old 11-30-2001, 08:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by w1ngman
[B]I received an e-mail from the following individual:

[I]From: "David McCune" <_hondas2k00@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: New Order from Mcart

Quick Reply: I'm VERY concerned about an e-mail I received...Please Help!