Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

ING direct (4.0% currently) or Roth IRA?

Old 04-08-2006, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aklucsarits,Apr 8 2006, 12:20 PM
The question of whether you should put it in the Roth IRA or not is a question of liquidity. You can put the money in the ING or whatver bank savings account and pull it out anytime you want for emergencies or whatever. Or you can put the money in the Roth IRA, where it will be tied up until your retirement (unless you pull it out and accept the heavy penalties) So I guess the bottom line is, is your goal to save for retirement? Or is it to save a easily accessible rainy day savings fund?
andrew, correct me if im wrong, but its my understanding that the benefit of the Roth IRA is that i can pull my CONTRIBUTIONS out whenever, penalty free, because ive already been taxed on what i put into the fund. its when i take distributions out from my EARNINGS is when i start to be penalized and taxed again.

also, ive stated that my goals are relatively short term (3-5 years potentially) with this money. im already saving for "retirement" with my 401k concurrently. whether or not 12% of my salary is enough to start with at age 28 for the sake of retirement is another issue.

but i think you have some good perspective on whats available in utilizing the money in the Roth. like i said, im leaning to putting as much as i can into my 2005 and 2006 IRA contributions, but im just looking for more opinions.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:29 AM

[QUOTE=kadeshpa,Apr 8 2006, 03:58 PM] ^^^ that's only through 4/30.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by tysoncrx
andrew, correct me if im wrong, but its my understanding that the benefit of the Roth IRA is that i can pull my CONTRIBUTIONS out whenever, penalty free, because ive already been taxed on what i put into the fund. its when i take distributions out from my EARNINGS is when i start to be penalized and taxed again.

also, ive stated that my goals are relatively short term (3-5 years potentially) with this money. im already saving for "retirement" with my 401k concurrently. whether or not 12% of my salary is enough to start with at age 28 for the sake of retirement is another issue.

but i think you have some good perspective on whats available in utilizing the money in the Roth. like i said, im leaning to putting as much as i can into my 2005 and 2006 IRA contributions, but im just looking for more opinions.
It's true, you can withdraw your contributions at any time; all capital gains must remain in the Roth or you will render the aformentioned penalties.

If your goal is to invest this money and use BOTH the initial contribution(s) and your gains within the next 3-5 years, the savings account would be the better option of the two. Why don't you consider investing in securities outside of an IRA? You seem to be focused on gaining more than 4% and are focused on an investment plan that's intended for retirement .

Investing your money in the market outside of an IRA seems to be the best possible option (assuming your risk tolerance is acceptable). Start an account with an online broker like scottrade, e-trade, etc... If this is too much risk for you, which I doubt since you're considering the Roth, 4% isn't a bad return.

Chris
Old 04-09-2006, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by tritium_pie,Apr 9 2006, 10:29 AM
I didn't close my ING account, so I'm not sure why you feel I "might've been better off" leaving my $ there rather than putting it in HSBC? When the teaser rate goes down, I simply move my money back to wherever has the highest interest. It's simple, easy, and maximizes my returns.

I have avoided Emigrant Direct however due to some negative reviews I read about them online.
How can you keep your ING account open if as you stated "moved all my ING $ to HSBC". My understanding was that you needed to keep some money in ING to keep it active Plus if you keep on moving it around to the highest bidder throughout the year, it'll be a headache come tax prep time. I guess it's ok if you're working off of maybe 2-3 online savings schemes. I don't see there being a huge benefit though in moving it around. At most your playing with give or take 0.25%. Unless of course you're a mac-daddy and are playing with hundreds of thousands of dollars
Old 04-09-2006, 04:43 PM

[QUOTE=kadeshpa,Apr 9 2006, 03:54 PM] How can you keep your ING account open if as you stated "moved all my ING $ to HSBC".
Old 04-10-2006, 01:24 AM

After 5 years you can take up to 10K out of a ROTH for buying a home tax/penalty free.
Old 04-10-2006, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=kadeshpa,Apr 9 2006, 06:54 PM] How can you keep your ING account open if as you stated "moved all my ING $ to HSBC".
Old 04-10-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by adam gipson
After 5 years you can take up to 10K out of a ROTH for buying a home tax/penalty free.
That's just slightly misleading . After 5 years you can withdraw up to $10k out of a Roth for buying your first house, which must also be your primary residence.

Chris
Old 04-10-2006, 09:17 AM

well, i stated above that the my main goal for what im putting into the Roth would be for buying my first home, and that may happen in 4-5 years, or more. so i want to be ready then. if the opportunity comes before then, well too bad. but if an opportunity comes in 4 years, then ill be kicking myself if i couldnt take advantage of the qualified distribution because i waited a week to start my roth in 2006. yes, im well aware of the april 17th deadline to open for 2005, thats why im asking now.

and also, at a rate of contributing $4000/yr, thats not a bad amount of money to have available "for rainy days" for contributions ALONE.

just to be clear, my main retirement savings is my 401k. im not treating the ROTH as my retirement vehicle, whether thats wise or not.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:45 PM

And the 4k max was just last year, it'll be going up a bit.

Quick Reply: ING direct (4.0% currently) or Roth IRA?