Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Insurance problems

Old 11-02-2011, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance problems

I'm somewhat clueless and new to the accident scene, and about three weeks ago I was in an accident with my DD 06 VW Rabbit. It was drivable after the collision, but since the entire left front side was smashed, and there were no lights, I took the advice of my insurance company and took it in right away for repairs. It was finished last week and I had to pay the $500 deductable, as car was insured under collision.

My insurance company (Progressive) had the other driver at 100% fault, so his claim was instantly denied. The other driver's insurance company (State Farm), stalled the process for two weeks, and eventually decided recently I was 20% at fault, since I should have seen him coming, and been able to avoid accident, even though he was on the other side of the road when he struck me. It's a ridiculous claim, and Progressive suggested we go into arbitration, to collect the 20%, since the proof is all there that it was not my fault in any way. They said it could take from 90 days to a year to resolve, and if I accepted the 20%, I'd get back 80% of my deductible ($400), and only pay $100, and be done with it, with no insurance increase. However, State Farm told me that they DO NOT pay out to me, and that they investigate the damage estimate, and repairs, and then will pay the 80% to progressive on my $3900 repair job, and I then get a check from my insurance company for $400. I keep getting different information, and they keep on insisting the other is wrong, and I'm at wits end with this nightmare.

I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback on how this process works, any mistakes I've made, ect ect. I can't get any good info, and for the hell of it I jumped online to get other quotes from other companies, and they have me listed as an at fault one car collision accident, with a ridiculously high premium as a result. Sorry for the long story. I'm just trying to figure out how this works, or if Progressive is just lousy. In my opinion, progressive should have paid me my $400 instantly, or perhaps my entire deductible, and then gone into arbitration themselves, instead of getting me involved with State Farm on my own. I could be wrong, but I'm not happy with the service. Hell, my car is depreciated now, so I lose either way. Thanks for letting me vent, and for any info someone experienced in this can offer.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:17 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

I'm a bit lost as to why you paid a deductible in the first place? You should have had to pay $0. If the accident wasn't your fault, as determined by the police report, then it's not your fault at all.

Now, legally, if you've signed any paperwork agreeing to this, or gave any sort of authorization for them to do this verbally (assuming the call was recorded), then you are now stuck.

You may want to look into getting an attorney at this point.

All in all, I don't see Progressive as being the bad guy here, but State Farm.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:34 AM

Negative ghostrider. Your insurance company should be taking care of dealing with the other guy's insurance company. They should handle this, 100% end of story. *That is why you pay them.*

Sounds to me like your insurance company sucks fat balls.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:08 AM

Sounds to me like your insurance company sucks fat balls.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by RedCelica
I'm a bit lost as to why you paid a deductible in the first place? You should have had to pay $0. If the accident wasn't your fault, as determined by the police report, then it's not your fault at all.

Now, legally, if you've signed any paperwork agreeing to this, or gave any sort of authorization for them to do this verbally (assuming the call was recorded), then you are now stuck.

The police report showed the accident, and it was his fault, but State Farm saw it slightly differently for whatever reason. Progressive told me I'd have t opay the $500 if the claim wasn't settled, but told me it should be settled before then. State Farm stalled their decision, and then right before vehicle was repaired made a decision of 20% my fault. I did sign an agreement to pay the $500 deductible if a decision wasn't reached, which I suppose could be my fault, but I had no other choice, since the vehicle wasn't legally drivable, and as it turned out, the radiator support was damaged and weak, making it unsafe as well. Thanks for your response.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:27 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-DJ
Originally Posted by RedCelica' timestamp='1320257833' post='21122639

The police report showed the accident, and it was his fault, but State Farm saw it slightly differently for whatever reason. Progressive told me I'd have t opay the $500 if the claim wasn't settled, but told me it should be settled before then. State Farm stalled their decision, and then right before vehicle was repaired made a decision of 20% my fault. I did sign an agreement to pay the $500 deductible if a decision wasn't reached, which I suppose could be my fault, but I had no other choice, since the vehicle wasn't legally drivable, and as it turned out, the radiator support was damaged and weak, making it unsafe as well. Thanks for your response.

No worries man. A similar incident happened with me earlier this year. I was in a parking lot, passed a spot, went in reverse, was about to pull in and I get hit from behind by someone exiting their spot.

I have Allied insurance and they felt that the other driver was 100% at fault however the other guy's insurance, Wawanesa felt it was my fault. So what happened is I paid my $500 deductible up front to get my car repaired asap while my insurance company goes through arbitration with the other insurance company. After about 7 months, I get a letter from my insurance company that the investigation was completed and they found the other driver at 100% fault. Included in the letter was a check for $500 to refund my deductible.

So in short, it is common to pay your deductible up front when the fault is being investigated. Everything sounds fine from what you described above. Just forget about it and in months time you'll get surprised with an extra $500 when you least expect it. Then you can take that money and go buy some parts!
Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by North Star
Originally Posted by S2K-DJ' timestamp='1320261099' post='21122801
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1320257833' post='21122639']

No worries man. A similar incident happened with me earlier this year. I was in a parking lot, passed a spot, went in reverse, was about to pull in and I get hit from behind by someone exiting their spot.

I have Allied insurance and they felt that the other driver was 100% at fault however the other guy's insurance, Wawanesa felt it was my fault. So what happened is I paid my $500 deductible up front to get my car repaired asap while my insurance company goes through arbitration with the other insurance company. After about 7 months, I get a letter from my insurance company that the investigation was completed and they found the other driver at 100% fault. Included in the letter was a check for $500 to refund my deductible.

So in short, it is common to pay your deductible up front when the fault is being investigated. Everything sounds fine from what you described above. Just forget about it and in months time you'll get surprised with an extra $500 when you least expect it. Then you can take that money and go buy some parts!
[/quote]

Thanks for your story. I was looking to shop around for possibly cheaper rates, so if I don't accept the 80%, I guess I'm stuck with Progressive for a while. I could accept the 80% ($400 back and $100 out of cost), and be finished with it. My rates with progressive won't go up, so they say. I was planning on trading this car in next spring, or selling it, but due to the depreciation from the accident, I may just keep it. Shit happens!!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by S2K-DJ
Originally Posted by North Star' timestamp='1320262048' post='21122857
[quote name='S2K-DJ' timestamp='1320261099' post='21122801']
[quote name='RedCelica' timestamp='1320257833' post='21122639']

[/quote]

Thanks for your story. I was looking to shop around for possibly cheaper rates, so if I don't accept the 80%, I guess I'm stuck with Progressive for a while. I could accept the 80% ($400 back and $100 out of cost), and be finished with it. My rates with progressive won't go up, so they say. I was planning on trading this car in next spring, or selling it, but due to the depreciation from the accident, I may just keep it. Shit happens!!
[/quote]

Well like I said, this is pretty common. I'd probably just tell them to continue with the arbitration and that I'll wait for the verdict for the refund of the full deductible. It's always best to not accept any percentage of blame just because the process can take a while. That is probably what the other company is banking on so that they don't have to pay for everything.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

They're trying to save themselves money. That's all there is to it. Tell them you want full arbitration and you'll wait it out. Nothing to lose on your end by waiting, that's for sure! Your insurance company would be smart to just pay you the $100 themselves since it will cost them way more to arbitrate the claim.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica

If you want your car repaired ASAP, it's pretty standard procedure to pay your deductible and then be re-imbursed when companies don't see things eye to eye. AFAIK

Quick Reply: Insurance problems