Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Landscaping and flower beds, new hobby?

Old 07-07-2018, 11:43 AM

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Landscaping and flower beds, new hobby?

Well, it was that time of year again where my flower beds were looking absolutely horrible. Instead of paying someone like usual I decided to try it myself. I have zero experience with this. To my surprise I really enjoyed it a ton, I must be getting old. Me and my olé lady joke that we’ve been to the garden center every week since finishing lol. Anyway just wanted to share and get ideas from anyone else who can share their work!

PS, I installed my bed drains AFTER I was done, this is a mistake and it sucks, don’t make my mistake!

Bed gutted, border and rock, weed blocker.

Border installed for mulch section

Gutted, rock put down

New edge cut, weed blocker down

Enlisting help!!

Do this before rock.....not after like me

Both beds tie and drain to the ditch
Old 07-07-2018, 11:47 AM

Next was to install yard lighting, I went through a few solar solutions but was never satisfied. Finished product with hard-wired LED lighting. I would love to see others projects!

Old 07-07-2018, 01:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

Old 07-07-2018, 01:40 PM

Received 418 Likes on 318 Posts

I love flowers. I tripled the size of my flower beds this year and hope to do so again next year. Yours look nice.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:30 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Looks nice. A few years ago, we moved into a money pit. I love this money pit, but it is nonetheless a disaster. The previous owner was an 80 year old do-it-yourselfer and he was not good at much so I have spent every waking moment undoing his handiwork. There is landscaping rock around the entire house, placed on top of dirt with no liner underneath and the weeds and crap are coming up like gangbusters. I need to rake it all out onto the lawn, put down some plastic, and then put the rock back in. Many tons of it. I am in year 3, and still have not gotten to that yet. At least most of the interior of the house is now up to snuff.

Your neatly organized landscaping fills me with anxiety for what I have in front of me.
Old 07-10-2018, 07:58 AM

I bet, I can’t imagine. Even doing this amount of work had me beat when it was done, it’s good you really love the place though or it would get old quick. Take some photos of the mess and we can offer emotional support. Be careful with plastic though it won’t drain! If that’s what you meant to say.

Last edited by Nfinitecc; 07-10-2018 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:40 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Nfinitecc
Be careful with plastic though it won’t drain! If that’s what you meant to say.
Well by the looks of things, you are in Texas. We get a little more rain up here and can use that landscaping fabric but some of it tends to rot and disintegrate after just a few years. I usually use plastic and put a few well spaced holes in it with a fork and it seems to do ok as long as you slope a bit from the house. The problem I always have is what to do where the liner meets the edging to keep the weeds out.

Yours still looks really good though. I should probably put in some new plants while I am at it.
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by vader1
Well by the looks of things, you are in Texas. We get a little more rain up here and can use that landscaping fabric but some of it tends to rot and disintegrate after just a few years. I usually use plastic and put a few well spaced holes in it with a fork and it seems to do ok as long as you slope a bit from the house. The problem I always have is what to do where the liner meets the edging to keep the weeds out.

Yours still looks really good though. I should probably put in some new plants while I am at it.
If you’re poking holes then you’re set, And you’re right the plastic will out live the fabric.

I wanna plant some more to make it more busy, gonna wait and see how full it gets when it grows out. What I do is lightly spray a little round up in the dirt at the edge without getting it onto the lawn. Seems to work pretty good.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:29 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

I'm trying a thick wild flower border and the weeds will blend right in. My lawn was abused by the last owner for several years and is my current priority. My wife wants the "after" photos on the cover of Southern Living...

-- Chuck