Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

looking for advice on coverage

Old 05-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking for advice on coverage

please move me mods if this is in the incorrect area, i couldn't figure out where to post so i guessed here.

with that said, im looking for advice on insurance. im currently with alstate and my agent has informed me they will only cover my cars value and an additional 1000$ in added accessories. i have added up parts and such and have almost hit the 9000$ mark. i don't have all my receipts and purchased some parts used for cash.car is still being paid on so i do carry full coverage. vehicle is driven mostly on the weekends but low mileage policies are out of the question. what do you guys and gals out there do with your modded cars?? have a good weekend
Old 05-27-2014, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bump - no one???
Old 05-27-2014, 05:23 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Since it's about insurance for your car, I would have figured Car Talk would be a good place for it, but I'm not a mod in this section so I can't move it. And, frankly, it's just my opinion that Car Talk would be a good place for your question. The Car Talk mods might disagree with that.

I have never tried to insure any of my cars for anything more than the cost of upgraded wheels so I can't advise on being able to cover more than say an extra $2k or so of parts on a car. In my situation, I just provided receipts to AutoClub (and then later to Mercury when I switched) and they simply added it in... and increased my premium accordingly.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:42 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Since it's about insurance for your car, I would have figured Car Talk would be a good place for it, but I'm not a mod in this section so I can't move it. And, frankly, it's just my opinion that Car Talk would be a good place for your question. The Car Talk mods might disagree with that.
I assumed it got punted over here. Since it was not a car question per se, but rather, an insurance question, I figured I'd let it slide, so long as everybody plays nicely.

I have never tried to insure any of my cars for anything more than the cost of upgraded wheels so I can't advise on being able to cover more than say an extra $2k or so of parts on a car. In my situation, I just provided receipts to AutoClub (and then later to Mercury when I switched) and they simply added it in... and increased my premium accordingly.
"Auto Club" - you Southerners (Californians) are so cute when you bring that up. . . it's AAA for the rest of us.

Per insurance, simply NEVER assume you're going to have the aftermarket parts/mods covered. What's at stake is the value of the factory-stock car when purchased. That said, you should be able to get a Custom Parts & Equipment policy. Shop around. The internet is here to help.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:35 AM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
"Auto Club" - you Southerners (Californians) are so cute when you bring that up. . . it's AAA for the rest of us.
Yeah, I always think the same thing when I see Auto Club Speedway too... "so cute" is the first thing that comes to mind.

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/

And the cars that race there are so cute too. Especially those funny ones with no fenders. I don't think they have insurance for those though. Too many after market parts and all.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:07 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by RMurphy
Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie' timestamp='1401298946' post='23179190
Yeah, I always think the same thing when I see Auto Club Speedway too... "so cute" is the first thing that comes to mind.

http://www.autoclubspeedway.com/

And the cars that race there are so cute too.
Upgrades to "novel" status can be made here.
Old 05-28-2014, 11:55 AM

Received 1,180 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by UnkieTrunkie
http://ww1.calif.aaa...ick-sporty.aspx

And it's 460 hp with NPP exhaust.