Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Mac Users? Info please...

Old 07-21-2002, 06:30 PM
pfb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mac Users? Info please...

Any Mac users out there?

Can you recommend a decent web forum for Mac information?
Old 07-21-2002, 06:31 PM

What kind of info are you looking for. I use both PC and Macs. Let me know what kind of info you need, and i should be able to point you in the direction you want.
Old 07-21-2002, 06:47 PM
pfb

The first thing I'm looking for was some general opinions on OS/X, Jaguar, availability of Jaguar, stability of OS, stability of productivity applications, etc.

The second thing I'm looking for is pointers to good deals on a lower end G4's, either new/refurb/or very slightly used as well as deals on software.

The last thing I was looking for was a resource I could use as I potentially re-imerse myself into Macdom. It's been a few years. Like Mac SE days.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:56 AM
pfb

?
Old 07-22-2002, 07:06 AM

Originally posted by pfb
The first thing I'm looking for was some general opinions on OS/X, Jaguar, availability of Jaguar, stability of OS, stability of productivity applications, etc.

The second thing I'm looking for is pointers to good deals on a lower end G4's, either new/refurb/or very slightly used as well as deals on software.

The last thing I was looking for was a resource I could use as I potentially re-imerse myself into Macdom. It's been a few years. Like Mac SE days.
MacOS/X is very stable, as stable as any unix-based OS. People had some kernel panics as bugs were worked out but it's really tapered off now. People now run for months without rebooting.

As for apps, everything is being converted. They have to be, OS9 will go away pretty soon. All the major apps are there from Adobe, even Microsoft (yak).

As for refurb G4's, I dunno. If you have a Microcenter near you, go get a return. People always bring stuff back that is perfectly good. Otherwise check Apple's website or www.smalldog.com (click on Mac->PowerMac). They usually have lots of them.

As for forums, I don't know. macintouch.com is ok, but Christ, everyone only complains over there. Maybe someone else knows better.

-Dan
Old 07-22-2002, 07:27 AM

Try Mac Addict
Old 07-22-2002, 08:18 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd go to dealmac.com I look there before I buy ANY computer/electronic related stuff.

A very lively forum there - you'll find what you need.

It is a pretty hardcore bunch overthere so you'll see strong opinions and passion. A bit like s2ki.com

HTH...

lig
Old 07-22-2002, 08:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on a MAC but can't help you with your question.
I work in the grahic arts industry, and the MAC is still the foundation of choice.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:07 PM
pfb

What about Jaguar? Should I wait to buy a mac until it's shipping to avoid the $150 or whatever upgrade?
Old 07-22-2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by pfb
What about Jaguar? Should I wait to buy a mac until it's shipping to avoid the $150 or whatever upgrade?
I guess so. I think Jaguar is supposed to be released in a couple weeks so you shouldn't have to wait that long. Sometimes, when Apple just announces a new OS version, buyers will get a certificate for a free upgrade. Check with the Apple store. Otherwise, just wait a few weeks.

Of course, if you get a refurbished machine I think you get whatever came with it. You'll have to check.

Macs RULE!

-Dan

Quick Reply: Mac Users? Info please...