Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Need some advice on getting a new bed...

Old 06-02-2004, 01:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need some advice on getting a new bed...

My current bed sucks. its too small. im looking to get a full size. i want a futon, but parents say to get a regualr one with some kind of shelf system underneath it. anyone have nay ideas on where is a good place to buy one, or some nice pictures of their own and where they bought it? i want to pick one out by this week.
Old 06-02-2004, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go to a mattress store, or any department store. Check out what kind of mattress you like, # of springs, pillow top, firm or soft, etc. Get prices. Call 1-800-MATTRES and see if they'll beat the price you got from the other stores (they probably will). That's the easiest way to do it since they delilver and take away the old one. I'm sure other people know of ways to get them cheaper, but if you're strapped for time and want a good compromise between cost and convenience, that's it.

Don't get a futon. You'll hate it after a month. They aren't terribly comfortable. Futons are for college dorms, not "real" bedrooms!
Old 06-02-2004, 02:12 PM

Received 3,069 Likes on 1,697 Posts

We all have Select Comfort beds in our house (four). Even put one in the motorhome. I got sick of beds that sagged after 3 years. I buy the cheapest Select Comfort and then get the best foam topper from JC Penneys catalog. If the foam gets old you can buy a new one cheaper than a new mattress.

In case you don't know, Select Comforts have air bladders that you blow up to your desired firmness. You can get 2 controls on queens and kings, one for each side.
Old 06-02-2004, 03:16 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kyras
We all have Select Comfort beds in our house (four).
Old 06-02-2004, 04:02 PM

I only paid $675 for my son's queen bed, but then I bought the bottom line mattress (the 3000 model)and no foundation. We all have our beds on platforms so we don't need the foundations. This is Select Comfort's comparison page: http://www.selectcomfort.com/beds/bed_comp...on.cfm?cmref=lm When I visited the site I had trouble getting the links to come up on prices but after trying a few times they finally came up. Problem may be my server.

It will do a better job of explaining the differences than I can. Like I said, I bought the bottom line mattresses with the least amount of top padding. In our experience with mattresses, the pads on top always get indented, even if you flip the mattress end to end and over, every month. With this mattress, you can't flip it at all. I buy the thickest JC Penney foam mattress pad (queen cat. # was A725-2387A) and flip this pad instead. We bought our first Select Comfort, a California King, for $699 in September of 1999. It still is very comfortable. I have had 2 or 3 of the Penneys foam mattress pads during this period.
Old 06-02-2004, 05:48 PM

I have a Queen size Tempur Pedic, the Swedish memory foam one. It is heaven in a mattress. It is a bit pricey but well worth it considering how much time you spend using it. The chicks love it too if ya know what I mean!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 05:54 PM

King size TempurPedic. Unbelievable mattress. Great for all bed uses.

One benefit (unless there is a trust issue), the bed doesn't move if one person rolls over or gets out of bed. Big plus if you and your partner are on different work schedules, etc.

Downsides are expense and weight of the mattress.
Old 06-02-2004, 06:46 PM

I looked at TempurPedics but I couldn't swallow the price.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:00 PM

Well, I went a different route. I went for a relatively inexpensive bed set (like $650 total), but got a really, really nice featherbed and comforter. My bed is like a nest, and still has very firm underpinnings (for my bad back). I think you can get decent comfort from a regular mattress, and have the convenience of trying before you buy and brand-name quality.

Finally, get good sheets. After college I bought a bunch of Martha Stewart crap. I finally bought good sheets this year and they make my sleeping experience much, much better. I never would have guessed it would be true. Sadly, my dad was in textiles for 20 years. . . but I refused to ever listen to his advice on anything. I hate realizing when parents are right.