Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Need some advice from martial artists

Old 05-31-2003, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice from martial artists

I've been learning Shaolin Kenpo at a place called United Studios of Self Defense for the last 2 months and I'm feeling a bit unsatisfied - I train 3 1/2 hours a week there, and although I'm still learning the basics I'm getting the feeling that it's not for me. I was under the impression that Kenpo was a much more "hardcore" version of traditional Karate and had elements of Kung Fu in its more advanced stages.

The problem is I'm training with people that seem to be treating this as more of just fun, aerobic exercise than an actual martial art. We have sparring classes every Friday night and last night, even though I've only been there for 2 months, I felt like I had to "go easy" on the people I was sparring with and that they had to go easy on me. The usual age groups during these sparring classes are ~15-17 and ~28+. This means making little or no contact, and only pretending to get the shot in. This may sound a little strange but I don't want to go easy on anyone and I don't want them to go easy on me. I want to feel what it's like to get kicked in the ribs if I don't block correctly and I want to be able to target their entire body, not just their upper torso, which excludes their face, back, and legs. When I watch the upper belt levels sparring I do notice that they're hitting each other pretty hard but still, they can only target the upper body.

I have a friend that studies Ju Jitsu and his ears are always nice and swollen from strangeholds placed on him during his sparring classes. I suppose I'm just feeling like this is a little too "soft" for me. Should I quit and choose another martial art or studio entirely or is this all completely normal? Does anyone know where I can learn more about different martial arts and different teaching styles, and possibly some other studios around the West Los Angeles area?

At some point in time I would have liked to master Kung Fu (possibly Wing Chun, but I need to see some other styles to make sure), Ju Jitsu, and finally a long range striking art such as Kenpo or maybe even Muay Thai.
Old 05-31-2003, 02:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i would try something else.
Old 05-31-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

Lee... if you want "hardcore" martial arts, you can try such grappling and control arts as JuJitsu, Aikido, etc. For long range, I recommend Kendo (way of the sword), weapon-style Aikido, and Jeet Kune Do. For a combo art (long, short, grappling), then you would LOVE Muay Thai.

I do have some experience in most martial arts that I can go to here in Calgary, although the bulk of my experience is Tae Kwon Do (black stripe, former assistant instructor for junior classes, former lead instructor for meditation class), Aikido (3 years), Karate (2 years), and full contact Muay Thai (no in-ring amateur or pro experience, although I have sparred in the ring, and have a flat spot on my nose to prove it )
Old 05-31-2003, 06:15 PM

Lee: try "Thaismai" (kick boxing), it's a real kick in the pants.

If you want something different, try out Kendo - but the equipment gets expensive.

Currently I use my shinai only on a punch bag
Old 05-31-2003, 06:37 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Sawtelle Judo School
2110 Corinth Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90025
Phone: (310) 478-2411

This is one of the best dojos in your area.

If you really want to get tough, try Welcome Mat Dojo at L.A.C.C. or Tenri Dojo in East L.A.

It's true that a good measure of someone's toughness is how cauliflowered their ears are. It doesn't get any tougher than Judo, Boxing, or Wrestling. Even Pure grapplers don't get cauliflowered ears overnight. It comes after hundreds, or thousands of hours of fighting.

If you don't want your ears to end up looking like disgusting tumors, always drain the accumulated fluid out of your ears. After it solidifies, it is too late! I used to drain the blood and serum from my ears after every workout, with a syringe and an 18 gauge needle.

-Pete
Old 05-31-2003, 08:10 PM

Cool, thanks Pete - How does Judo compare to other martial arts? More grappling than striking?

Draining fliud from your ear after every workout?! Did you just get used to it after a while?
Old 05-31-2003, 08:54 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I never got used to sticking that huge needle into my ear, but a small needle wouldn't drain out the blood.

There is no striking involved in competition Judo, although most Dojos will occaisionally practice combat Judo, or forms of atemi-waza (striking). Punching and kicking are part of Judo, but most Dojos don't practice them much, because the focus is on tournament fighting.

The really cool thing about Judo is the throwing. Standing Judo technique is beautiful to watch, and devastating for the recipient. The whole room or building will be shaking during a good workout.

-Pete
Old 05-31-2003, 10:20 PM
Banned

Ju Jitsu can get fairly rough and tumble too. Some of the throws and holds look just downright nasty.
Old 05-31-2003, 10:28 PM

Lee,

I was all up in this years ago. Find one you like. That fits your style.
After a few years doing the run around and fighting this and that guy, I gave up on it. It became a mind thing for me.
Pressure points baby. That's all you need to know to win in real hand to hand.
Old 06-01-2003, 12:11 AM

pressure points, hahhahha, try ninjitsu for that. seriously, in a hand to hand fight, no one is going to offer u their vulnerable points. if someone is pushing on my temple, im going to push them away, or take them down, same goes for the other pressure points, no offence
if ur in it for the fitness aspect then i guess taek won do (take my dough) is the best, it is more of a sport than a martial art or self defence. if u want to be a hard core fighter then maybe try a boxing gym or sign up to a kick boxing gym, muay thai is good as well but ur shins may pay for it later in life.
wrestling is good, but if u like to "hurt" people then try the submission forms such as brazilian jiu-jitsu, LA has some very good schools, they say that LA is the mecca outside of Brazil, u have the Machado bros teaching in Torrance, i believe there r a few Gracie academies there as well.
judo is great for stand up jacketed fighting, but it is limited on the ground, no offence to kodokan, but it is, bjj is limited in its takedowns, i admit that, each art has its flaws, hence the need to cross train if u want to be a complete fighter.
u just need to ask urself why u want to do it, i do bjj because its fun and a great workout, i have no intentions to compete as i work and carrying an injury isnt what i need for my business. if u want to kick ass, then i suggest u carry a gun

Quick Reply: Need some advice from martial artists