Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

neighbourhood cats

Old 01-09-2001, 07:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All I really asked for here was for you all to stick to the question asked and to be humane.

It saddens me to see that one of the traits I detest most in people, the inability to use the education and humanity that sets us apart from animals, is alive and well here.

I'll ask again. Please stick to the question and be humane about this.

I hope that we can all have enough respect for each other here that a request such as this might not go unnoticed.
Old 01-09-2001, 09:53 PM

Funny, this reminds me of a conversation I had with a friend of my mother's after I had moved to Austin. She asked me 'I hope you aren't getting into any occult type of stuff over there in liberal-ville'. I asked her, 'what do you mean occult stuff?' She responded, 'like animal rights groups and the like.' It was odd that she has been one of those pure-bred Southern (not baptist, but) Christians who believe dogs and cats will not be going to heaven - they will just perish. I responded by merely explaining that its treating our animals as we like to be treated ourselves. She still didn't get it, but its the point of respecting life - and even in joking about this, some of you do have that blood that will shoot pellet guns at cats and dogs for the heck of the thrill.

Its difficult to believe that any of you lack respect when someone asks to simply 'cut it out'. So, I ask you this, if you expect me to cook the latest recipies out of February's Woman's Day magazine for the next S2k meet in Austin...you might be expecting too much.

/rant
Old 01-10-2001, 12:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I LOVE cats.
too bad my car hasn't encountered any feline yet, but I'm planning on getting one soon, and for sure he'll get some rides in the passenger seat.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:24 AM

Damn Schatten, I was really looking forward to that chocolate layer cake!

Old 01-10-2001, 07:41 AM

No offense is intended by my post...

While I personally am not an animal-rights activist (far from it actually), I do think they should be treated with a certain amount of respect. However, something as harmless as spraying them with water or using some sticky covering doesn't seem to be crossing the line. Those talking about frying the cat...well that's certainly more than excessive. Keep in mind, we cannot treat them as equals, because if they damage our car, it's not like we can sue them, and suing the owner would just be a plain hassle...taking preventive measures to protect your property should be allowed.

While I do not agree with some methods mentioned in this thread, people on this board do have a right to express their opinion...it's up to you whether or not you want to read it.
Old 01-10-2001, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On a personal note, I had the unnerving experience of killing a kitten that had crawled up into the engine compartment of my friends car. I had to go to the airport to pick up my mother who was arriving, so I borrowed his car. Well I got in, turned the key and started it up. What followed was the most god awful chunking and banging and screaming noise from under the hood. I immediately shutoff the engine and got out an lifted the hood. I had know idea what happened except that I borrowed a car and was afraid I broke it. I look under the hood but found nothing, but I heard a noise from around the ground. So I looked around and there was this little grey kitten, cute thing, probably no more than a month old. It had a gash on it's torso and was bleeding. I picked it up and felt its abdomon which was swolen. It died in my hands about a minute later. That sucked and I still had to go to the airport to pickup my mother!

So jokes aside, this is a valid and important topic lest the same thing happen to you. It will ruin your whole day.

Old 01-10-2001, 05:54 PM

=/

*sigh*

(and for those who know me, I rarely sigh)
Old 01-10-2001, 06:00 PM
CG

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My wife and I are animal lovers and we own or maybe we are owned by several. We'll do anything we can that will not harm the animal to train them not to harm our cars, house or yard. We'll do the same with any strays.
Old 01-10-2001, 06:23 PM

This is funny indeed. BB gun, sprinklers, baseball bats, watch out you may hit the car or the cat may leave its marks while demonstrating its last verticle jump. The real solution: Get a "cat-loving" dog in the passenger seat for a few days, if its something like a boxer make sure he is on a short leash. After then you may mark his sent on and around the car...Another option get a cat repelent of some short.

Good luck
Old 01-12-2001, 10:39 AM

Not sure if it would work or not (and I haven't seen the stuff in awhile) but how about the cat repellant stuff they make for putting in your flower beds? It smells real bad but a cup of it at the front of the car at night might help. I never got around to trying it at the car at one apartment I lived at where half of the people decided the perfect pet for apartment life was an outside cat so we had 20 or so cats wandering around looking for someone to take care of them since the owners just threw them outside and went on with their lives. I used it in the flower bed outside the apartment and it kept them away from it. Figured a plastic container of it infront of the car might be enough to keep them off and then you could just snap the lid on in the morning and put it in the trunk.

-Trevor www.HandA-accessories.com

Quick Reply: neighbourhood cats