Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Photograph Mounting Technique

Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Photograph Mounting Technique

Does anyone know the common art name for the technique described below?

Our Museum Mount technique is a new way to display and present art work by offering a contemporary look. This is a specialized lamination process providing a smoothness that cannot be achieved with traditional mounting techniques.
The image is permanently adhered to a rigid sheet of clear acrylic that makes handling a large print much easier and significantly eliminates the possibility of damage, while also providing a new "wet" look that only this process can provide. Using the Museum Mount also offers deeper colors and a more three dimensional feel to the image because there is no longer an air barrier between the photograph and the acrylic protecting the print - with traditional framing, the air space between the glass and the print refracts light slightly, whereas this process does not. UV protection is included in the adhesive and the acrylic has UV absorption properties as well.

Example:

It is the type of mount used by Tom Mangelsen if that helps.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Some Random Company,
...significantly eliminates the possibility of damage...
Oh no they didn't.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Umm.. sounds like "lamination"... kinda like old-school driver's licenses or ID cards. For ID cards, the card was sandwiched between two sheets of plastic/acrylic/whatever, and the plastic was melted around the edges to encase the paper card and protect it. In the process described above, it sounds like they're actually melting the acrylic/laminate such that it directly bonds to the piece of artwork... thereby irreparably damaging the artwork itself in a way that can never be undone.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lamination without adhesion to the item itself sounds like a good idea to me! Perhaps with a vacuum process. Provided the casing only adheres to itself and the vacuum doesn't physically compress any of the paint mass sitting on the canvas.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ Yeah, but:
The image is permanently adhered to a rigid sheet of clear acrylic
If the lamination is not permanently bonded to the paint/image, then I don't see how this technique would have any advantage over mounting in a traditional frame w/ glass covering it.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 AM

We're talking about mounting a print; one might infer that one might print that print purely for this process to be done to it. This is not intended (as far as I know) for paint, as some of you have inferred. Paint is 3-dimensional, and would create problems in forming a flush bonded surface.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by Ted H,Sep 23 2010, 10:00 AM
We're talking about mounting a print; one might infer that one might print that print purely for this process to be done to it. This is not intended (as far as I know) for paint, as some of you have inferred. Paint is 3-dimensional, and would create problems in forming a flush bonded surface.
My bad.

You're right - I wasn't thinking print. Adhere away.