Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Portable GPS recommendation

Old 10-13-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portable GPS recommendation

I am thinking of buying my wife a Portable GPS for her car.

I am looking for a unit thats:

- not bulky
- the system to be easy to set up securely in the car and take off
- voice prompt (hopefully will tell her the street name as well)
- easy to read screen

any recommedation?
Old 10-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check out newegg.com... look for garmin nuvi 255w or the regular 255... [255w is wide screen / 255 is regular size] that model does say street names and it comes preloaded w/ the newest map available for north america... [canada, US, and mexico i believe] it's a legit company with really really good customer service.

i used to have the 200 model but it didn't say the street names and you have to upgrade the map that it comes with... so for the price i believe the 255w is your best bet... and plus i don't think you can buy the 255 model anywhere else [like bestbuys, etc because they only sell the lower models]...
Old 10-13-2008, 04:07 PM

I don't know what you're price range is... but try www.tigerdirect.com.

They've currently got a loaded wide screen (voice prompt with street names, etc) for $99. Magellan. They've also got one for $79 with the smaller screen, not sure what else it's got. I've got the bigger one. Works well.
Old 10-15-2008, 02:56 PM

I bought a Nuvi 255w but didn't like the tiny display. Upgraded to a Nuvi 5000 and it's now passable. Mostly needed a larger display because my top is always down and the display gets washed out in the sunlight. Both models announce street names but with the top down you can barely hear it. The 5000 has an FM transmitter and plays MP3's so you can hear voice announcements and music over your radio, but FM transmitters don't work well in a large city where just about every FM frequency is occupied. I won't buy a unit that doesn't announce street names, but I always end up turning the feature off because I can't hear it.

I like the fact that you can upgrade the firmware and maps (on both units) thru a USB cable or a micro sd card.
Still not 100% satisfied but the only way to get a better (larger) display is to buy an in-dash unit. I've seen some Magellans and a few others and IMO Garmin makes the most user-friendly, non-discombobulated interface of them all. The menus make sense and it's easy to find whatever feature/function you're trying to use.

Neither unit is bulky and I have the Modifry dash mount that has an adapter specifically for the Nuvi so it attaches securely and it's easy to remove. I know, the Modifry won't work because your wife doesn't drive an S2K. Go buy her one.
Old 10-15-2008, 06:59 PM

nuvi 350.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 143 Likes on 112 Posts

I have the TomTom720 but the suction cup keeps falling out. I just throw the Navi on the passenger seat.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Not Sure,Oct 15 2008, 03:56 PM
I bought a Nuvi 255w but didn't like the tiny display. Upgraded to a Nuvi 5000 and it's now passable. Mostly needed a larger display because my top is always down and the display gets washed out in the sunlight. Both models announce street names but with the top down you can barely hear it. The 5000 has an FM transmitter and plays MP3's so you can hear voice announcements and music over your radio, but FM transmitters don't work well in a large city where just about every FM frequency is occupied. I won't buy a unit that doesn't announce street names, but I always end up turning the feature off because I can't hear it.

I like the fact that you can upgrade the firmware and maps (on both units) thru a USB cable or a micro sd card.
Still not 100% satisfied but the only way to get a better (larger) display is to buy an in-dash unit. I've seen some Magellans and a few others and IMO Garmin makes the most user-friendly, non-discombobulated interface of them all. The menus make sense and it's easy to find whatever feature/function you're trying to use.

Neither unit is bulky and I have the Modifry dash mount that has an adapter specifically for the Nuvi so it attaches securely and it's easy to remove. I know, the Modifry won't work because your wife doesn't drive an S2K. Go buy her one.
quick question w/ the modifry dash mount... do you still get good satellite reception even though the navi is not directly aimed towards the front of the car... [compared to using the windshield mount?] coz i was actually thinkin' of getting the modifry dash mount as well... but i just want to make sure before i order it...
Old 10-16-2008, 01:29 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

I use a Garmin 650. It has a 4.3" wide- and touch-screen, plays music, gives voice prompts, has a big list of standard attractions (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc, etc), and is pretty quick at directions as well. You can use waypoints, switch between 3D (my preference) and 2D mapping, plus the system will switch between them if it makes more sense to do so (like long, straight portions of a trip). It also has built in trip meters that will tell you how long you've travelled, how long you were moving, how long you stopped, your average speed while moving and overall, and also your maximum speed. For the record, I've hit 139 mph, GPS confirmed.

I paid $350 nearly a year ago and they're down to $160 these days (!!!) if you buy refurbished (I bought new).

http://www.futurepowerpc.com/scripts/produ...40-70_&REFID=FR

You can get one new on Amazon for $199 with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-650-4-3-Inch-...r/dp/B000OH63MI
Old 10-17-2008, 05:02 AM

compass
Old 10-17-2008, 06:23 AM

compass and a map

Quick Reply: Portable GPS recommendation