Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Rotor Replacement, Shady Quotes

Old 01-05-2001, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry guys, this is not direclty related to the beloved S2k. But as a fellow S2k enthusiast on a Bud-Light budget, could you guys offer some suggestions.

How often rotors need to be replaced (typically?) I've got a 97 Es 300 (can't yet afford a New S2000) Anyway, Midas tells me my rotors on all ends are pitting, and need to be replaced. They say they can't grind any of them down without falling under specifications. Total cost with pads is nearly 700 bucks. I then go to Tuffy. They say just my rear rotors and brakes are bad. Funny they said front would be fine for a few months yet--pads at almost half-life up front. Their bill: about 200 bucks for rear pads and rotors. Lastly for kicks (i know, it takes very little these days) I go to Sears, tell them I'm hearing sqeaking in my brakes. They say everything looks normal, but rear pads and rotors are starting to go. But recommend no replacements for a couple months.
Obviously, the first and last place I should go is Lexus, unfortunately my nearest dealer is about 80 miles away.
Just curious. How often any of you have had to replace your rotors and have you heard of "pitting" or damage to the rotors?
Also, any idea what new pads and rotors should cost all the way around?

Any advice would help.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2001, 08:45 AM

Received 78 Likes on 53 Posts

I would call Lexus customer support.

Just tell them the durability of the rotors did not meet your expectations.

Rotors don't usually fail for a long time unless you let the brake pads go way too long and the rotors get chewed.

You may find out an invisible recall exists or they may replace the parts for you as goodwill.

Best of luck!