Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Skype/Outlook - IT help please!

Old 12-06-2017, 10:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skype/Outlook - IT help please!

Hiya all, newbie here so hoping I’d adhering to the rules and in the right section!!!

I’ve started a new job where they all use Outlook. Recently some weird little Skype box appeared every time I log in, showing me as ‘available’ and my location! Annoying! I have called IT and they say I can change it to ‘busy’ but it can’t be removed, even though I’ll never use Skype. Is this true?

Also now when I am on Outlook, people are sending me direct messages as they can see I’m online and expect immediate responses. This is really distracting as I’m on there dealing with important matters.

If you you hover over my name it says I’m ‘free for the next 8 hours! I’m not free! I just dont use their electronic diary... cue emails requesting immediate response as they know I’m online! Is there anything that can be done about this?

I need to be able to deal with emails in order of my priority without distraction. Maybe I’m getting old, but this big brother thing is really ruining my productivity at work.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:19 AM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by MuttleyDog
Hiya all, newbie here so hoping I’d adhering to the rules and in the right section!!!

I’ve started a new job where they all use Outlook. Recently some weird little Skype box appeared every time I log in, showing me as ‘available’ and my location! Annoying! I have called IT and they say I can change it to ‘busy’ but it can’t be removed, even though I’ll never use Skype. Is this true?

Also now when I am on Outlook, people are sending me direct messages as they can see I’m online and expect immediate responses. This is really distracting as I’m on there dealing with important matters.

If you you hover over my name it says I’m ‘free for the next 8 hours! I’m not free! I just dont use their electronic diary... cue emails requesting immediate response as they know I’m online! Is there anything that can be done about this?

I need to be able to deal with emails in order of my priority without distraction. Maybe I’m getting old, but this big brother thing is really ruining my productivity at work.
Skype was bought by Microsoft 6 years ago. Skype integration is part of the Microsoft Office suite.

Microsoft - Uninstall Skype for Business (Mac)

Outside link - Disabling Skypehost.exe
Old 12-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thank you! I will give this a try, just hope it will be possible as it’s a remote log in to their main system, so wonder if I can take things off.