Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Speeding ticket in VA. Any advice?

Old 05-13-2018, 04:52 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Speeding ticket in VA. Any advice?

Well after driving fast all weekend at the RTD event, I got caught in Va in Hungry Mother state park before the Back of the dragon on my way home. I was just not payng attention that I was entering the park and was caught for 65 in a 40. The ranger was nice and knocked it down to 59 in a 40. I haven't had a ticket in probably 15 years or more and have no points on my license. Stupid mistake, I guess I earned this one for not being careful to slow down entering a state park. I always slow down through the main part of the park but just wasn't paying attention I guess. The ticket's going to be $165 and I can mail it in.
Anyway I'm just wondering what to expect with insurance and license points and what I can do to reduce the damage if anything. Also feel free to offer consolation or relay your speeding ticket stories and outcomes, advice. Or just revel in the shadenfreude you're feeling after reading this. I wasn't sure where to post this but since my enthusiasm for the S2000 got me here I suppose it works here.

Thanks
Jon
Old 05-13-2018, 05:18 PM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

Things can vary from state to state but you mentioned you have been ticket free for some time. It may be possible to show up or arrange for a "safe driving class" that you attend, the ticket is knocked off or reduced, and you pay some penalty. The trick is not to get another one in the foreseeable future. We have this deal in California. It is designed for the very occasional screwup so that you will not experience undue hardship.
The following users liked this post:
WVCR-V (05-14-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 05:14 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

We don't cotton to West Virginia drivers speeding in Virginia.

Here in the Radar Detector Prohibited Commonwealth ya gotta have good awareness but the fine for a radar detector conviction (pretty much a prima facie conviction in VA) is only $150 and no points on your license. A $15 savings over the ticket.

-- Chuck
The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck S:
lab_rat (06-20-2019), Zissou (06-15-2018)
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Things can vary from state to state but you mentioned you have been ticket free for some time. It may be possible to show up or arrange for a "safe driving class" that you attend, the ticket is knocked off or reduced, and you pay some penalty. The trick is not to get another one in the foreseeable future. We have this deal in California. It is designed for the very occasional screwup so that you will not experience undue hardship.
I will show up for the court date and see if there is anyway I can avoid having points on my license. That is worse than the ticket fine itself.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:23 AM

Received 1,555 Likes on 924 Posts

You never know. If the LEO does not show up for the court date/time you are off the hook as well. Remember to know the specific law/code so you base your defense on that.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
You never know. If the LEO does not show up for the court date/time you are off the hook as well. Remember to know the specific law/code so you base your defense on that.
I appreciate the follow up. From what I understand in VA the cops have all their tickets on one court date so it is unlikely that he won't show up. I'm hoping maybe my lack of prior history may help and the fact that I'm in my 40's and not some young punk....lol. I was one of those once.
I haven't had any moving violations of any kind in at least 12 years. I think i may have had my last speeding ticket in 2004 if memory serves correctly.
Old 05-14-2018, 12:51 PM

Received 123 Likes on 90 Posts

You'll want to go to court, dress nice, be respectful and humble in court, and apologize/show that you regret the mistake. Ask if there is a way to keep It off your record. It may not work, but your chances are next to nill if you don't do these things.

How did your back of the dragon run go afterwards?
Old 05-14-2018, 03:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

96 in a 65 in NJ just 2 years ago. Hired a lawyer, it all went away.

Like 15 mph over in Switzerland while doing European Delivery. It was a speed camera, $700 USD, I paid it. Didn't need that karma hanging over my head.

That BMW was trouble with a capital T. Sold it, bought a truck to haul my trailer and S2000 to the track where I can speed all day long.
Old 05-14-2018, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by vortamock
You'll want to go to court, dress nice, be respectful and humble in court, and apologize/show that you regret the mistake. Ask if there is a way to keep It off your record. It may not work, but your chances are next to nill if you don't do these things.

How did your back of the dragon run go afterwards?
Good advice. The 'Back of the Dragon' is always good. I didn't get stuck behind much traffic but i was a little bummed about the ticket by that point. Even so, I didn't really feel too afraid to wind it out again through there since most of the turns keep you well under the speed limit anyway.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You are very lucky he knocked it down since 20 over in VA is a misdemeanor offense.

Pay the ticket and keep it moving. Not worth getting a lawyer involved.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket in VA. Any advice?