Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Traveling to the UK, advice needed

Old 03-05-2004, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traveling to the UK, advice needed

Hey all,
I'm going to be vacationing in the UK this next week and will be looking for fun things to do. A couple friends and I are flying into London and are planning on spending a few days there then maybe heading over to Scotland.

I'm going to want to go to a pretty serious dance club or rave on one night then most of the time we'll be hanging out in some of the pubs. It would be cool to get some advice on where to go and possibly stay.

I'd have posted this on the UK boards but figured the UK locals would see this here and I'd be able to get ideas from non locals too. I'll have limited abilities to post during the day so I'll thank you all for advice in advance.

It's going to be a fun week
Old 03-05-2004, 07:49 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Not so many of the UK guys look over here ....... so you would be much better to post in the " UK Off Topic" forum.

Pubs - London is full of them
Old 03-05-2004, 08:33 AM

If you've not visited London before, it's probably worth you doing all the usual tourist attractions - the Tower of London, Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament, Buckingham Palace (time it right and see the Changing of the Guard), take a ride on the London Eye, the British Museum etc etc.

There's an open-top bus which does various routes around the city, taking in most of the sites. That's a good way to see the key attractions - you can hop on and off as you please.

When you say head over to Scotland, you do realise how far away from London it is, don't you? It's probably a 6-7 hour train ride (and more likely than not longer than that, given the state of the railways in the UK ). A better bet, cash permitting, would be to get an internal flight to either Glasgow or Edinburgh, depending on whereabouts in Scotland you're planning on going. Edinburgh is very popular with tourists - lots of history up there. The castle is very imposing.

Enjoy your trip!
Old 03-05-2004, 08:51 AM

If your going to scotland fly although I think the train from London Kings Cross to Edinburgh isn't as long as 6 to 7 hrs and you'll see more of the country..
Old 03-05-2004, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark

Why aren't you telling him about the joys of Birmingham?

Hey Acceleratrix check out why you should spend your vacation here:

www.birminghamitsnotshit.co.uk

regards
Old 03-05-2004, 08:57 AM

Cambridge or Oxford are pretty good if you are site seeing and have lots of nice pubs. and are just over an hour on the train from London.. Could visit York, Manchester or Liverpool for a taste of Northern England. Edinburgh is great and you can drive or catch the tyrain up into the highlands and do some whisky sampling.

For trains try www.thetrainline.com or www.railtrack.co.uk.

In london you could go to Soho and Camden, Walk along the river Go to covent garden for pubs and resteraunts. Don't go to any Angus Steak houses they are tourist traps.
Old 03-05-2004, 09:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2silver
Old 03-05-2004, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Mark Turner
It's probably a 6-7 hour train ride (and more likely than not longer than that, given the state of the railways in the UK ).
4.5hrs KingsX to Edinburgh, 5.5hrs Euston to Glasgow.

.....thats what they used to take
Old 03-05-2004, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Welshman
Why TF would anyone want to go to Camden???????
It's a *very* busy place on a Sunday ...... which is the time to go.
Old 03-05-2004, 10:05 AM

The trains are faster than I thought! On the basis that it usually takes a couple of hours to get to Birmingham from London, I assumed it would take an eternity to get to Jockland......

Oxford is always popular with American tourists. You can hardly move for them in summer when I was at university there - the Dreaming Spires are only an hour or so from London and well worth a visit

York is popular with tourists too. If you do head up there, be sure to check out the Jorvik Viking museum - a great day out.

Quick Reply: Traveling to the UK, advice needed