Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Trees?

Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Trees?

So, I've been working with an amateur landscape designer and trying to come up with some ideas for my back yard. She has recommended several type of trees that I can choose from, so I thought I'd see if any of you guys have any experience or knowledge about these trees. I'll list them in the order of my preference, with my personal notes. You can add any of your own thoughts, too.

Just FYI, I live near Dallas, TX (hardiness zone 7-8, IIRC). I'll be putting these in my back yard which is about 75 feet wide by 50 feet deep. I share a fence line with neighbors on all sides, so I obviously don't want the trees hanging over their property (at least not within the next 15 years or so). With that said, I want to put about 4-6 trees around the sides/back of my yard to provide ample shade from the Texas sun, while still leaving the center a bit open, in case I decide to put in a pool later.

Anyway, here are the trees I'm interested in:

Chinese Pistache: This seems like an awesome tree. Really hardy, decent looking, nice fall color, and a good size for my yard. I'm pretty sure I'll have at least one of these.

Ginkgo: Really strong tree, no disease issues. However, I'm concerned that it's supposedly a really slow grower. My dad planted a really small one (less than 12") in his yard about 5-10 years ago, and it's only about 5' tall now. I'm not that patient. Plus, as much as I like the idea of this tree, it seems like there are a lot of different cultivars, and they differ a lot. The one that I'd read about and liked the description ("Golden Globe"), I haven't been able to find at my local nurseries.

Southern Magnolia: They seem really cool, and they're evergreen which will be nice. We have some around my office and I really like them, except for the cones/berries that they drop in the fall. Supposedly their thick foliage kills the grass below them (since it doesn't let sunlight through), so I'm a little worried about that.

Redbud: Seems like they'd be a nice show of color in the spring, and a decent size for a mid-size tree.

Japanese Maple: I love the deep purple color of these for use as an accent tree. I'm a little concerned about how well they'll hold up to the Texas heat, and I don't think I'll be able to give them any substantial amount of shade. This tree (and maybe the redbud, too) would be more of a decorative tree than a shade tree.

Anyway, do any of you guys know anything about these trees? Pros/cons? Any trees that you'd recommend instead? (I'm intentionally avoiding all Oak trees, because I don't want my lawn littered with acorns). Any comments are appreciated.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:58 PM

Oh, just for giggles, here's a "virtual" picture of my backyard so you can see what I have to work with. My back yard is on the south side of my house.
Old 10-13-2007, 03:15 AM
jah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

-you will need some sort of irrigation system for Dallas, TX
-tree leaves in a pool are a hassle
-dont pick just one type, in case they have a mid life crisis and die
Old 10-13-2007, 05:17 AM

All good advice.

Originally Posted by jah
-you will need some sort of irrigation system for Dallas, TX
I already have in-ground sprinklers. I'm planning to position the trees so that they don't require any additional irrigation in the long-term (though they might need a little in the beginning).

Originally Posted by jah
-tree leaves in a pool are a hassle
Yep, I've thought about this. That's why I want the trees to be planted as close to the border of my yard as possible (without overhanging into my neighbors' yards). Also, the software that I use to generate the image above can render shadows based on actual sun locations for various times of the year, so I'm trying to position trees so that they wouldn't shade the pool too much during summer. What's the point of having a pool if you can't get a tan.

Originally Posted by jah
-dont pick just one type, in case they have a mid life crisis and die
Good point. I'm currently planning to choose at least 3 from the list I provided. Right now, I'm thinking a Redbud on either side of the patio, a Chinese Pistache near the SW corner of the house and maybe the Southern Magnolia at the far SW corner of the back yard. Then maybe Ginkgo at the SE corner or South central part of the yard. I think I'll put a little patio at the SE corner eventually, so maybe a couple of Japanese Maples around it for accent trees.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:27 AM

Couple of thought on trees:

Stay away from the Japanese maple unless you have it under another tree or it is shaded. It will not tolerate the Texas sun.

If you get a Red Bud ensure you get a male tree. The female, after it blooms, creates these long ugly pods.

If you get a Chinese Pistache ensure you get a male. The female generates fruit that it very messy and smelly.

I did not see any Oaks. They do very well in Texas although they are slow growers.

One other tree I would recommend is the Lacy Bark Elm. Very hearty and the bark is very interesting. You see a lot of them at Fair Park down by the museum.

Just my $.02
Old 10-13-2007, 06:21 AM

^ How do I know if a tree is male or female (assuming it isn't currently showing fruit/pods)? Is there an obvious way to tell just by looking? Will the person at the nursery know (and be honest) if I ask them about it?

I looked at some info about the Lacebark Elm. It looks like a pretty nice tree, but appears to require more maintenance & pruning than the others that I've selected. I'll add it to my "maybe" list, though. Thanks for the input!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 PM

I have 2 eastern redbuds in my yard. They are beautiful graceful trees, and will grow in sun or light shade. I think the pods after blooming are nice looking. The only negative to this tree is that it has very greedy roots so if you are planning on planting under them you cannot grow plants that need plenty of water. There is also the western redbud which is a hardy drought tolerant shrub. If you want a tree get the eastern redbud.

The Japanese maple needs shade. If you plant a larger tree, you could plant the Japanese maple under it in a few years. I have 6 in my yard and I love them, but they will look awful and probably die without shade.

The ginko and chinese pistachio are both good trees for hot climates.

The southern magnolia is a beautiful tree, but it might be too messy around a pool. My neighbor 4 houses down the street has 2 magnolias and even though they are evergreen, they constantly drop their leaves which blow into my yard.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:31 AM
jah

another thought:
i did not go through the list to trees you have but consider a variety that is drout tollerant, can do well in what ever local soil conditions are in your area. some of these plants have a growth rate proportional to the amount of water you apply to them.

these tend to have smaller leaves? that will work better in a pool filter.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by mxt_77,Oct 13 2007, 08:21 AM
^ How do I know if a tree is male or female (assuming it isn't currently showing fruit/pods)? Is there an obvious way to tell just by looking? Will the person at the nursery know (and be honest) if I ask them about it?

I looked at some info about the Lacebark Elm. It looks like a pretty nice tree, but appears to require more maintenance & pruning than the others that I've selected. I'll add it to my "maybe" list, though. Thanks for the input!
You need to rely on your supplier. Usually a small nursery or tree farm will give you a guarantee of what you are looking for.
We built a new home in the Denton area and had the landscaper guarantee that the trees were male. If not he would pull them out and replace at N/C.

You also might want to check out Maples and the Bald Cypress. Just depends where you live in the metroplex as far as soil.
Old 10-14-2007, 08:07 AM

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Look at a Tulip tree, fast growing good shade.

Quick Reply: Trees?