Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Tsunami $ going to be used properly?

Old 01-06-2005, 09:47 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tsunami $ going to be used properly?

With the billions of $ being donated to the Tsunami relief, who is going to make sure it gets into the proper hands and that the gov't of those countries spends it properly for the people?

Right now the USA is handing out the water, food, etc... out of our Helicopters. After we leave and the world has donated $4Billion, is the free food and clothing going to continue or will the Gov't of those countries decide it is time to build some palaces?

I have no idea what happened in africa with "we are the world" so don't shoot me..... are those people better off now? There is talk of remaking the song for the Tsunami relief.....
Old 01-07-2005, 05:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would say that a majority of donations are being made to relief organizations, such as the Red Cross. the Red Cross turns around and buys the food, medicine, etc. itself and distributes it itself. in other words, it doesn't just give it to the local government.

that said, not all "non-profit", "charity" organizations are entirely great at efficiently distributing contributions... that is to say, for some organizations, 90%+ of donations can go towards "administrative" costs, such as paying their chief officers 6-figure salaries. so much for non-profit. from my understanding, the Red Cross, Medicines Sans Limites (Doctors Without Borders), and some others are very good at making sure the maximum amount of donated funds actually go to helping people. always be sure to do some research into the charity to which you are donating. p.s.-- I tend to be *very* leery of the pop-up brand new charities created just for a particular disaster... they're like insta-businesses. they do NOT have established procedures and experience for distributing aid... and thus tend to be less efficient than the Red Cross, etc. likewise, they... and perhaps their celebrity members (hint hint )... might be overly well compensated for their "contribution" of their name recognition, and even a song or two they belt out "in the name of charity".

so, it's good to research which charities you donate to. many charities have their books open for auditing, typically on their websites-- such as Human Rights Watch (hrw.org). [note, HRW is my charity of choice, but their focus isn't on the havoc that nature's wrath wreaks upon man, but rahter the havoc that men in power/governments wreak upon the common man.]

p.s.-- oh and I hate to say it, but SO MANY SCUMMY PEOPLE capitalize on the gullability of their co-workers and "friends" to "collect for charity" saying they're gathering funds to donate to the Red Cross, etc. does anybody audit them to make sure they *actually* made the donation? same goes for unknown people supposedly collecting for charity outside of stores, malls, etc. they may even knock on your door...

just log on the web and donate directly to your charity of choice with a CC. (I could tell y'all a story where someone at work all but outed herself and her actual less-than-charitable intentions-- due to her flipping out as if I accused her of something-- when I casually suggested via email that people can more easily donate directly online... it was hilarious... and nobody could quite look at her the same way again. )
Old 01-07-2005, 06:15 AM

Received 39 Likes on 16 Posts

i saw on TV that some people were attempting to steal the now orphaned kids from these parts of the world!?? WTF is wrong with people. If someone tries to steal an orphan to make them a slave or whatever, they should die a slow salty / rubbing alcohol paper cut death to the balls!
Old 01-07-2005, 07:34 AM

Their gov officials will totally steal the money, that's why I refuse to donate.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Scot,Jan 7 2005, 07:15 AM
i saw on TV that some people were attempting to steal the now orphaned kids from these parts of the world!?? WTF is wrong with people. If someone tries to steal an orphan to make them a slave or whatever, they should die a slow salty / rubbing alcohol paper cut death to the balls!
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...as/tsunami_rape

the selfish evil in some men can rage forth even in the most extreme situations.

am I an equally evil person?? because if I ever caught a rapist like that, and the situation was equally lawless... I'd... I'd... I'd do such unspeakably terrible things to him, that he'd beg me to kill him quickly.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:11 AM

the majority will go to agood cause IE Red Cross Salvation Army. There are however con artists that are coming out trying to make a scam.

Beware of those that don't sound legitimate!
Old 01-08-2005, 06:11 AM

shuold go to the right place