Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

TV/Movie editing flubs

Old 01-23-2002, 08:38 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts
Default TV/Movie editing flubs

Do you like to watch for power lines in cowboy movies, and other screwups? Take a look at the commercial playing now for an SUV (Lexus I think) where Mom is driving and Dad says he quit his job, daughter says her boyfriend is 27 etc.. During all this, Mom has to dodge water bottles falling off a truck in front of her. Look close as the first bottle falls off the truck and you will see a bottle already laying on the road, not moving, that could not have come off the truck. It might have gotten past the first time, but not when they play commercials over and over again.
Old 01-23-2002, 09:35 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having a Bachelor's in film, I LOVE this kind of thing. It shows carelessness on the part of the film maker and that's always good for a laugh. It's what film people call an "inconsistency" which is a nice way of saying that the director and/or editors screwed up!

If you want an example of a film with a TON of inconsistencies, watch that Robin Williams film, What May Go (or something like that)...I bet the director was nothing short of embarrassed by the finished product...what a joke! It was like they weren't even trying to have consistency between jump cuts. Amazing...!
Old 01-23-2002, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know of a web site the describes movie mistakes?
Old 01-23-2002, 10:15 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gregstevens
[B]Having a Bachelor's in film, I LOVE this kind of thing.
Old 01-23-2002, 10:55 AM
Former Moderator

One of my favs is Untamed Heart.
Marissa Tomei comes in, takes of her scarf, and opens her jacket. 5 seconds afterwards you see her do it again.
Don't kno how they coulda missed that one
Old 01-23-2002, 11:08 AM

There's one in Fast and the Furious that I've been meaning to mention. At race wars, when the girl races, she has racing seats, then the camera goes to her opponent, then in the next shot, she has a normal interior, but same car. Check it out.
Old 01-23-2002, 11:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Luder94
[B]

"What Dreams May Come"
Old 01-23-2002, 12:44 PM

I took a cinema class while I was at USC. There are a ton of mistakes like that in movies. Even the great Alfred Hitchcock had a few mistakes. I think the movie North by Northwest has a reflection of him and his whole camera crew in a big window in one of the opening scenes.
Old 01-23-2002, 12:46 PM

In "Gladiator" in the battle of Carthage scene you can see a big metal air tank in the back of one of the chariots as it falls over. They had it covered with a black cloth, but when it falls over, the cloth comes up and a big, green metal air tank is exposed. Now that I know it's there, it sticks out but I didn't notice it until my friend pointed it out after he read about it on a website. I think the tank was used to power the device that knocked the tank over.

Mark
Old 01-23-2002, 12:48 PM

When I was in high school I saw some "Three Musketeers"-type move: Europe during the 1700s or whatever; I have no idea what the title is. One scene showed a horse-drawn carriage crossing a grassy field.

You can see the shadow of a helicopter following the carriage.

Quick Reply: TV/Movie editing flubs