Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

When did it become okay to use your real name on the internet?

Old 05-25-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It became okay when Google forced is to use our real names on Google+.

Rather it became the norm because it was forced upon us
Old 05-31-2016, 06:36 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
It became okay when Google forced is to use our real names on Google+.

Rather it became the norm because it was forced upon us
Hence you use a fake name ...or fake last name
Old 05-31-2016, 06:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RedCelica

I tried at the time. But during that they were verifying my name and didn't let me use a fake first name unless I proved it was my name.
I tried to use Hunter, like my user on here(which 12 year old me thought was a great user)
They wanted verification
Old 06-01-2016, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by HUNTERANGEL121
Originally Posted by RedCelica

I tried at the time. But during that they were verifying my name and didn't let me use a fake first name unless I proved it was my name.
I tried to use Hunter, like my user on here(which 12 year old me thought was a great user)
They wanted verification
Social media is starting to become a really scary place :/
Old 06-01-2016, 01:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I might be less cavalier about it if I had a less common name. But google me, and there's a zillion out there.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:25 PM

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Stack
I might be less cavalier about it if I had a less common name. But google me, and there's a zillion out there.
You might make James Smith giggle.
Old 06-02-2016, 05:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Umm guys the answer is obvious, using your real name on the internetz means you're famous. Or important. Or contributed to society in some way. Clearly.
Old 06-12-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is an interesting topic to ponder. I wonder if it's an effort to better identify people and track them. So many websites and so much traffic using our real names now. But then I also think that it could be influenced by our upcoming narcissistic generation that wants attention and recognition for just about anything. Real name use allows people to attach whatever to whomever easier without mixing it up.

In my case, I feel a bit more able to hide because I go by my middle name. When I want to hide, I use my first name. People have no idea and can't find me, haha.

I also find it odd that sites like FB require you to send in a photo ID verifying your name if they think your name is "suspicious" or inaccurate. People get reported for using nicknames and what not and they will suspend your account until you provide evidence of your name. Now, I do know people who have gotten around this by photoshopping ID's... which is scary we have to consider that an option at this point.

I really do not think people realize the adverse effects that can come from advertising your life online attached to your legal name. Taking an example from Criminal Minds here, but people have a tendency to post whenever they are leaving for vacation, once they are gone, the whole nine yards. For the right person watching, that's an easy living space to target. Or in the case of the show, a great time to kidnap them! Hopefully that never actually happens, but it highlights the dangers of everyone having access to your name and personal life so easily... the information is there for whoever goes looking.
Old 06-15-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Two-of-Swords
It is an interesting topic to ponder. I wonder if it's an effort to better identify people and track them. So many websites and so much traffic using our real names now. But then I also think that it could be influenced by our upcoming narcissistic generation that wants attention and recognition for just about anything. Real name use allows people to attach whatever to whomever easier without mixing it up.

In my case, I feel a bit more able to hide because I go by my middle name. When I want to hide, I use my first name. People have no idea and can't find me, haha.

I also find it odd that sites like FB require you to send in a photo ID verifying your name if they think your name is "suspicious" or inaccurate. People get reported for using nicknames and what not and they will suspend your account until you provide evidence of your name. Now, I do know people who have gotten around this by photoshopping ID's... which is scary we have to consider that an option at this point.

I really do not think people realize the adverse effects that can come from advertising your life online attached to your legal name. Taking an example from Criminal Minds here, but people have a tendency to post whenever they are leaving for vacation, once they are gone, the whole nine yards. For the right person watching, that's an easy living space to target. Or in the case of the show, a great time to kidnap them! Hopefully that never actually happens, but it highlights the dangers of everyone having access to your name and personal life so easily... the information is there for whoever goes looking.
I have had that very thought. Only think is they would need to correlate your personal identity to your username, then searching public records is pretty easy from there. It's just crazy to me how much information we publish publicly that anyone in the world has immediate access to...and then we link all our personal activities to it.

On a side note...if you have an android and use Google Chrome, you can simply and literally Google "Where's my phone" and if the phone is turned on and has a signal, Google Maps will pull it up. Crazy cool...but also kinda freakin unnerving! Someone steals your laptop or hacks your Google account, and then they can track you? No thanks!
Old 05-24-2017, 08:01 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

people tend to be more evil when their true identity is not revealed, hence online bullying...trolling...crimes...etc..a lot of stuff that are said online you would never say in real life in front of another person

but i also understand the importance of anonymity

so it's kind of a double edge sword

Quick Reply: When did it become okay to use your real name on the internet?