Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Would you buy a real or fake diamond ring?

Old 10-13-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy a real or fake diamond ring?

Im not getting engaged but I like watches and diamonds etc
so when I get a chance I look at nice rings and compare etc so my buddies and I were chating about buy a genuine ring or getting a lab created stone and a nice setting gold ring and it looks nicer, more affordable, and not a huge deal if she were to ever lose it.

what do you guys think?also on a single stone ring what do you consider good size
example: 1/2 karat, 1 karat etc etc

oh yeah and black diamonds FTMFL!!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:58 PM

Real.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM

All up to you. IMO, why would I spend thousands plus % on the "REAL THING" when I can purchase a lab made where most pro in the business can't even tell a different.

I think it all base on what you value and most importantly, how much money you have.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:02 AM

If you get fake, you'll always know it's not the real deal. Some ppl don't care of course, maybe you're one of them.

A .9 karat stone is almost the same size as a 1 karat stone, but typically the 1 karat stone is a fair bit more expensive since it's a magic number.

"oooh, look at mah 1 karat stone, one whole karat, booyakasha"

versus the:

"my stone is almost 1 karat... errr, yeah, almost. key word being almost?"

What the other person doesn't know, can't really hurt them tho' So a .97-.99 karat stone will look the same as a 1-1.1 karat stone, and cost 30% less...

Forgot to add that the size thing is on a bell curve. The difference in visual size versus 3k and 4k is greater then versus 5k and 6k, etc etc... a 2k stone is only marginally smaller then a 2.1k stone since the karat size is not just diameter, but the overall girth of the stone in all directions. But meanwhile, the actual cost of the stone goes up on an ever steeper curve, meaning a .5k stone is only a little cheaper then a .6k stone, but a 1.5k stone is quite a bit cheaper then a 1.6k stone, and so on...
Old 10-14-2008, 12:59 AM

authentic and replica.....
Old 10-14-2008, 02:44 AM

Cool

this is going to get ugly fast:

Diamonds are, at best, a semi precious stone. Take that for what it is worth and infer what you want from that statement. it is a fact and any price you pay for a diamond above its semi precious stone value is a direct result of marketing.

decide together what is more important: saving money on a 6000 dollar stone that is really worth about 300 dollars or the importance of "status" other people may give you for a ring that is supposed to symbolize something personally to the both of you and to no one else.

Diamonds are one of the worlds biggest scams
Old 10-14-2008, 06:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get fake and tell her its real
Old 10-14-2008, 06:28 AM

whats so wrong with fake diamonds if they get the job done...I guess I don't see it... Its like on our cars, the brakes aren't Brembo but they get the job done.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:30 AM

If she's the "one," real...if it's some exotic dancer ho then, fake.
Old 10-14-2008, 06:37 AM

read up on DeBeers people

and educate your loved one about these stones. Together you may be able to pick a setting and stone selection that will be more beautiful and mean more than just bling

and BTW the three months salary equation for buying a diamond ring is complete BS marketing

dont be a lemming

Quick Reply: Would you buy a real or fake diamond ring?