Off-topic Talk Where overpaid, underworked S2000 owners waste the worst part of their days before the drive home. This forum is for general chit chat and discussions not covered by the other off-topic forums.

Is your green really my green?

Old 07-21-2008, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is your green really my green?

I have had this thought for the longest time and another good friend of mine brought it up in discussion.. he had the same idea.

We all grew up and learned that blue is blue, green is green, red is red, ect and so on. The thing is that we recognize colors by their associated name.

What if your purple is really my red? And my green is really your blue? But we all call them the same color because we grew up knowing that this color is called "green"

Maybe that explains why people have favorite colors?

Maybe I really see peoples skin as "red" but have always seen it that way so it is normal to me?
Old 07-22-2008, 01:26 AM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I assure you that perception is different from reality. I am colorblind. What you see is different than what I see. Yet, I can see most colors just fine.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:36 AM

if that was the case people would be correcting each other all the time.

its the same thing with taste. we all know what a strawberry tastes like but what if the way we processed that taste was different.

what if that stawberry really tasted like blueberries to me but I was just taught all my life that was what strawberries tasted like.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:57 AM

[QUOTE=PrimoGen,Jul 22 2008, 06:36 AM] if that was the case people would be correcting each other all the time.

its the same thing with taste.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:29 AM

You think WAY too deeply into this...though oddly, it makes sence...in a weird kinda way...I'm colorblind, so it really doesn't matter to me what colors everyone calls things. I'll most likely still be wrong no matter what...ha-ha
Old 07-22-2008, 05:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The only way someone will see colors differently i.e., what I see as the pigment red, you call purple, would be if your eye was malformed, or your brain had a crossed connection, etc. Almost 100% of color blind, or color deficient people, have a problem with the cones in their eye which are the color sensitive receptors.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Jul 22 2008, 09:37 AM
The only way someone will see colors differently i.e., what I see as the pigment red, you call purple, would be if your eye was malformed, or your brain had a crossed connection, etc. Almost 100% of color blind, or color deficient people, have a problem with the cones in their eye which are the color sensitive receptors.
This may be true... however.. "seeing" is a perception...

"Eyes" relay visual related information..

SEEing actually occurs in the brain... the brain interprets series of electrical impulses...

The brain can interpret it different .. dyselxia / vertigo.. is there soething wrong w/ the eyes? no.. it has to do w/ a 'malfunction'(for lack of a better word) in the processing of optical information.

No one knows.. or will ever really know if we SEE the same thing... but we can agree to call it the same thing thereby creating communication.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 AM

Received 423 Likes on 298 Posts

It would explain how some people like country music when all I hear is nails on a chalkboard.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DaWorm,Jul 22 2008, 10:01 AM
This may be true... however.. "seeing" is a perception...

"Eyes" relay visual related information..

SEEing actually occurs in the brain... the brain interprets series of electrical impulses...

The brain can interpret it different .. dyselxia / vertigo.. is there soething wrong w/ the eyes? no.. it has to do w/ a 'malfunction'(for lack of a better word) in the processing of optical information.

No one knows.. or will ever really know if we SEE the same thing... but we can agree to call it the same thing thereby creating communication.
.. which is why I said it would either be a problem with the eyes, or the brain.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by vtec9,Jul 22 2008, 10:23 AM
.. which is why I said it would either be a problem with the eyes, or the brain.
Thats just it..
it does not HAVE to be a problem.. we AGREE to call "Red" things RED...

Not even a persons eyes are "perfectly" the same... differing numbers of rod/cones.. I dn't know for certain.. but nueron length to the brain might be different.. signal degradation??

I am not 100% certain that all brains perceive the same. ( see vader's response )

Quick Reply: Is your green really my green?