Official "Official" Forum All your "Official" threads!

OFFICIAL: "Berlina Black tops it all".....thread

Old 05-11-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 68 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by problem_child,May 11 2008, 12:26 AM
something about black mugen SS bumper that i never liked...

i think you should out the spoon bumper on.
The Spoon bumper is for sale....I don't think I'm going to mount it on my car. It's just doesn't flow with all my other mods.

If I was to buy a second S2K as a beater, I would keep it though.

As far as the other issue, I may be changing the 'black' problem in the near future. I've een thinking about a color swap for a while now. It may be time for it very soon. On the other hand, I just absolutely love how bronze MF10's look on Berlina black.

How can I stand to look away when I see this in my garage:

????
Old 05-11-2008, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by speedstar808,May 10 2008, 11:34 PM
Luder94,

Since you've had the Mugen and OEM hardtops, can you give us some insight as to which top you liked better and why. also: fitment issue, noises, visability, driving feel, etc. This will help us guys who are deciding which maybe more suitable.

As to the look, to each their own right?

thx again.
How I ranked them:

They all fit great! But for a detailed breakdown here goes:

Best top goes to ---> Mugen CF
2nd best fit goes to ---> Mugen FRP AND Honda OEM

Fit and mount--Since there's very little flex in the whole top, it is made to a very close to exact measurement. The fit on the Mugen CF hardtop is as close to perfect as one can get. I REALLY hated that with the OEM hardtop, you have to 'squeeze' the hardtop side-to-side to get the rear locking pins into the rear stays. I also hated how they unloaded like a spring when taking the hardtop off. It's caught many a helper off guard when they weren't expecting that unload.

Weight--This is the lightest top of all three. I can take off and put this thing on all by my self in the garage or in the driveway (if there is little to no wind). It's large and bulky...but hot damn is it light.

Noise-- Wind noise: This comes second to the OEM. It shares the second spot with the Mugen FRP. The CF hardtop doesn't increase or induce wind noise/buffetting any more than the OEM, but it also doesn't dampen any of that noise as well as the OEM.

Mechanical noise: The CF top is the WORST of all three. I have a slight gear whine from my 4.77 gear setup. Unfortunately, the CF top amplifies certain mechanical at specific point (ie., the gear whine is amplified by the top at a 3200rpm, rear suspension bushing squeak is amplified through slow, big radius corners, etc.). I think I get the louder noises with this hardtop because with the exception of the rubber seals, it has NO medium that dampens noise. That added to my car having no soft top means having to deal with more noises.

Seals--Both Mugen tops suffer from the same issues I've had. The seals over time 'leak' hard water stains onto the seals on the interior sides. In the past, I've tended to wash my car about once a week. The water I have at my house is really hard with many, many minerals. I think this could have led to the seals leaking or even breaking down. However, I didn't have ONE problem with the seals on the OEM hardtop.

Aesthetics--This is arbitrary. I think the Mugen CF hardtop is the best...but then again, it most likely will be getting painted like my Mugen hood did. I do like the OEM hardtop best with a mostly stock looking car. If I had a second S2K with maybe an OEM lip kit, decent drop, and wheels....I'd probably go with an OEM.

Cost--This is a toss up between the Mugen FRP and the OEM. These can be had for around the same price on the used market on S2Ki. I have seen the OEM go for $1800 though. The Mugen CF hardtop is the most expensive of the bunch and is really hard to find unless you're looking at King Motorsports or a couple of grey marketers. At the price point that you'd get the FRP or the CF hardtops, I wouldn't chance it to a grey marketer. By chance if I was to get a piece with something broken, missing, or slight imperfection, I'd need to have the peace of mind that King Motorsports would take care of those type of issues.

Prep/Assembly-- Hands down, Mugen CF. There doesn't need to be any up front cost of paint. All pieces needed for assembly are included...with the exception of instructions in English. However, that's a moot point seeing that you can find instructions and pictures on S2Ki. Getting the seals and rear window in is a REAL pain (no different than on the Mugen FRP). However, getting the OEM hardtop adjusted and all the vinyl panels installed is really tedious....also having to remember the defroster plug each and everytime...that sucked.

I'm sure there's more....but I think I've gone into enough detail for now.
Old 05-11-2008, 07:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Luder94,May 11 2008, 06:47 AM
As far as the other issue, I may be changing the 'black' problem in the near future. I've een thinking about a color swap for a while now. It may be time for it very soon. On the other hand, I just absolutely love how bronze MF10's look on Berlina black.
*moonrock*
Old 05-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by problem_child,May 11 2008, 09:53 AM
*moonrock*
I was thinking more like pee-yellow so that my car can be like Medicalstudent's car.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice
Old 05-11-2008, 06:25 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

love the mugen wing with the mugen top best. thanks for the comparison
Old 05-12-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4doorj,Aug 2 2006, 02:14 PM
you have two such nice cars!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by MadeInTaiwan,May 12 2008, 02:33 PM
Thanks...unfortunately/fortunately, the Integra was sold a couple of weeks ago. Here's a link to the 'story' on the sale:

(Read to the 2nd page of the thread, there's an update near there).

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=373154
Old 05-12-2008, 01:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont know if this thread is for hardtop only but I figured I have a Berlina so Id post pics

Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the best ht for berlina

Name:  S4300254.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  81.0 KB

Quick Reply: OFFICIAL: "Berlina Black tops it all".....thread