Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Anyone use roadrunner internet service???

Old 11-07-2002, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use roadrunner internet service???

I am toying with trashing my modem and going cable. Nov special is 3 mo 22 bucks and free install. What is the concensus. I really hate to pay that much per month, 44 bucks after first 3 months, but this waiting for everything with the modem is waisting my life

If you have it, is it really worth it, especially since I am a cheap-o and want to maximize my bang for buck.
Old 11-08-2002, 07:06 AM

Hell, yeah, it's worth it! Think of it as an enhancement for your car. You'd be able to surf s2ki.com so much faster and upload/download pictures quicker without tying up a phone line. This is one of those things where once you have it, you'll wonder how you ever lived without it and why you waited so long to get it.

Also, if you have multiple computers and you want to hook them all up to surf at the same time, cable is the way to go. I have 4 computers at home hooked up and they could all be online at the same time and it's still faster than having a modem on one of them. If you have multiple computers to hook up, let me know. There are ways to get it done without paying Roadrunner even more $$ for an extra IP address or two for your other computers.

Later,
Joe
Old 11-08-2002, 08:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if you guys have Alltel down there or not, but I just had DSL put in. 3 free months and free modem. Then $49.95/mo. which includes the ISP. The benefit of DSL is you do not share the bandwidth with the neighborhood like you do with cable. And it uses your existing phone lines. It's cool. Lightening fast.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:07 AM

Have had RR for about a year. Can't beat it. Immediate response. I cancelled my second phone line and dialup service, so the difference wasn't bad. Makes the DSL in my neighborhood look slow.
Old 11-08-2002, 06:34 PM

It's really debatable which would be better: DSL or Cable? In theory, DSL could be faster. And in theory, DSL could be more complicated to get installed and running. But there are a lot of exceptions to those "rules" and it really doesn't matter. Both will kick the crap out of an analog modem. As for me, I have cable because DSL just is not available in my area, so the choice was easy.
Old 11-09-2002, 07:07 AM

I agree. There are numerous DSL horror stories. Oddly, my install was flawless. I was expecting weeks worth of install problems. Took about 15 minutes. Agree with Joe. Either is wayyyyyyyyy better than dial-up.
Old 11-09-2002, 02:41 PM

Dude, get Roadrunner, you simply can't beat it! I've had it since the very first day Roadrunner was available to the public, and it's simply amazing. DSL is a total joke because it's dependant on a lot of factors, especially here in Cincinnati since Zoomtown is the only provider and it was a total joke before I switched to Roadrunner. DSL is very dependant on a high quality signal and will not work well when there is any interference or line noise on the phone lines. Maximum speed with DSL is dependant on having the best signal possible. Also, although it's theoretical that DSL could be faster than Cable at times, it's not true with Roadrunner, because if you look on their site, it states that speed during peak usage providing that every single possible user on a node is online will still exceed DSL. The best part about roadrunner, is value because to get the same speed of roadrunner on DSL, you'd have to pay around $129 a month to get it. Roadrunner will be the best thing you've done in a long time since dialup is just a thing of the past. We arn't living in year 1995 anymore.............
Old 11-10-2002, 07:34 AM

My brother uses zoomtown in Cincy and loves it.
Old 11-10-2002, 08:34 AM

I use Earthlink instead of Road Runner. Heard too many horror stories about poor service. Also have unlimited dial up too in case you have a laptop you drag around with you (like I do =)
Old 11-10-2002, 09:24 AM

Carmen, with Zoomtown, it depends highly on what part of the city you live in, and how good the phone lines are. My biggest beef with Zoomtown, is that the phone lines in our neighborhood constantly suffer from lots of static and line noise and when I tried it, Zoomtown didn't work right, or was slow as dirt because of this.

Sexytoy, you havn't heard anything yet in terms of bad customer service till you've tried arguing with the Zoomtown folks. This is what ultimately got me angry enough to switch. They tried to charge me a cancellation fee of like $149, but I had a buddy of mine who is an attorney call them up and get it straight.

BTW, Berlina Black is misspelled in your signature

Quick Reply: Anyone use roadrunner internet service???