Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Making Progress on my Winter Makeover

Old 01-17-2011, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Making Progress on my Winter Makeover

I've only had my s2000 since the beginning of this past fall and I have loved every moment I've had with the car. Unfortunately, for some reason (I don't know if it was a mechanic or the previous owner) one of the front wheels had a rear wheel in place and about 2,000 miles later I had suddenly had 4 lug studs broken and a bent wheel and had to get it towed home.

Winter started a little early for the car but I'm not complaining. When I bought it, one of the first things I noticed was how bad the rims were pitted and corroded. Along with the wheels, I felt the Dupli-color'ed paint calipers looked a little tacky. So both went on my winter project list. After a little shopping, I got a wide variety of wet/dry sandpaper, Mother's aluminum polish, G2 brake paint, caliper decals, and I also bought a K&N FIPK because I want to hear that VTEC roar even more. Along with the makeover, I'll probably look into the "MAP Whack". I think I need it lol

I've been sanding/polishing with any free time I've had outside of church, class, and work. The pictures don't do much justice because of how sunny it was today but if you look closely, you can see how bad the pitting is. It definitely need a pedicure

NOTE: 2 haven't received the elbow grease treatment yet but all of them were pitted like this (even the spare I used to replace the bent had a little)
It's much worse in-person

Curb-rash was smoothed down only on this one

Completely sanded up to 2000 grit without polish

Final product

As of right now, I have two completely finished and the other two are on their way. I try to finish 1 per week because it takes about 3-5hrs a piece with elbow grease and a drill attachment. It's a work in progress but I think it'll turn out much better by this spring. I can't wait to get back on the road.

Patience is a virtue
Old 01-18-2011, 08:37 AM

Did you put a finish over the wheels? Your efforts on the wheel shown above are outstanding but the OEM wheels are painted, so you will may need to apply some type of finish to maintain that polished look. Looks great.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by 8_ball,Jan 18 2011, 09:37 AM
Did you put a finish over the wheels? Your efforts on the wheel shown above are outstanding but the OEM wheels are painted, so you will may need to apply some type of finish to maintain that polished look. Looks great.
Thanks, it takes so much time and effort but I'm glad to see that it's starting to pay off. As for a coat, all I know of is 2 options: waxing them or getting them clear-coated. I read that the clear-coat will make them look a lot duller. But I also heard that using car wax on them every so often will help protect them. <-- That's the route I'm choosing so far unless I hear any better suggestions. lol
Old 01-19-2011, 02:06 AM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

I see you are from Cincy... Why are you not planning this trip ???

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=837339

and driving down with us ???
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=49&t=838705

Most every member, and non-member, with an S2000 in Cincy, Columbus, Indy, Cleveland, Dayton, Michigan, Ontario, Toronto, Wisconsin, Chicago, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Boston, Florida....and so many cities & states, that I just can't think of all of them...right now !!!
Old 01-19-2011, 05:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I would look into having them clear coated if you want it to stay that nice. waxing does not last very long, especially with brake heat and dust.

I dont know anybody down there that can do it, we have Motomotion up here that can, they are in Medina.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:16 AM

Great work with the AP1 wheels. Mine are in worse condition than yours. I'm definitely going to follow your plan and clean them up.
Old 01-19-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 219 Likes on 78 Posts

Lookin' good. I'm glad to see someone is workin on their car over the winter. I haven't had the cover off of mine in two months....
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by pgarratt,Jan 19 2011, 04:59 PM
Lookin' good. I'm glad to see someone is workin on their car over the winter. I haven't had the cover off of mine in two months....
Ditto !!!!!!!!!
Old 01-19-2011, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Looter,Jan 19 2011, 03:06 AM
I see you are from Cincy... Why are you not planning this trip ???

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=837339

and driving down with us ???
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...&f=49&t=838705

Most every member, and non-member, with an S2000 in Cincy, Columbus, Indy, Cleveland, Dayton, Michigan, Ontario, Toronto, Wisconsin, Chicago, North Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, Boston, Florida....and so many cities & states, that I just can't think of all of them...right now !!!
I am going for sure. I'm just working on getting a friend of mine to go to. I just need to find out his schedule for him. I'm excited lol
Old 01-19-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vyndictive,Jan 19 2011, 06:16 AM
Great work with the AP1 wheels. Mine are in worse condition than yours. I'm definitely going to follow your plan and clean them up.
Thanks, my first thought was painting them or getting them powder-coated but I honestly think this looks much better... and for only the cost of some sandpaper and Mother's Aluminum Polish. I was amazed that you could get so much bang for so little buck lol

Quick Reply: Making Progress on my Winter Makeover