Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Memorial Day Weekend

Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Memorial Day Weekend

So this week was quite a learning experince for me and my '00. I had never taken the S on a long haul outside of Ohio. However, I had the chance to spend a free weekend in Pigeon Forge. So naturally I took the chance on Sunday to visit the dragon, which was the first time I had ever been there. I was lucky enough to meet a fellow S2K who drives the dragon weekly, and he showed me the ropes.

The dragon was more than I ever dreamed a stretch of road could be. The scenery and atmosphere made it more of an event than just a spirited drive could ever be around here. I could not push the S like it should based on inexperince, but still put enough in it to have some great white knuckle driving.

I returned home late Monday night and I have the rest of the week off, so I decided to compare the world class dragon to Route 26. I filled up today (Tuesday) and started north (I live in Marietta.) Now I know what this car can do and decided to really hit it on 26 since there was absoulutely no traffic. I have to say that 26 actually made me as happy to drive it as the dragon did.

In the end, the dragon beats 26 based on atmosphere, but they are really close as far as enjoyment on the drive alone. The dragon put me through the low gear paces, and 26 gave me the ability to open it up a little more but still enjoy some good twsties along the way. I can't wait for everyone to meet up and drive my beloved route 26 in July.

If anyone would like to make a trip down this weekend and meet me for a run on route 26 this weekend, PM and we will see what we can set up.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:22 PM

Have you had chance to run the SKYWAY? I love it as much if not more than the Dragon.
Old 05-29-2007, 10:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I definitely like the skyway better than the Dragon. I think the gearing and power band of the S is set up more for roads like Cherahola. I haven't had the chance to drive Rt. 26 yet, but I don't know how any road in Ohio could have as many blind corners, decreasing radius turns, and elevation changes as the Dragon. I like the Dragon because it challenges your driving skills (braking points and gear selection). Cherahola is more fun because you can open it up quite a bit. Btw, was the guy you met driving a yellow S? If so, I've run with him a couple times myself.
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/OrderPage....1824&po=1824&c=
Old 05-30-2007, 05:24 AM

No we didn't have time to drive the skyway but I will make it a priority when I go back.

Toofast, The guy I was with had a red ap2 so either it was a different guy or he got a new car. As far as 26 goes it doesn't have as many decreasing radius turns but it is about 2 hours of pure driving fun. There are a lot more straight stretches on 26 but there are also some challenging spots as well.