Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Mid-Ohio Events

Old 06-16-2003, 06:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Mid-Ohio Events

Hey group, there was an ad in today's PEE DEE re: two upcoming events at Mid-Ohio. Is anyone interested in going? My kids and I have gone to some of these events and they are a lot of fun. We take a few chairs and a blanket and park on the hill on turn X (?) and watch the races. We bring a bag and cooler full of food and have a great picnic and watch the zoom-zoom. Here are the details:

6/20-6/22 - Sprint Vintage Grand Prix (Featured Marque: Corvette)

Over 300 vintage racing machines rekindle old rivalries in 10 Sportscar Vintage Racing Association group races. Corvette continues its 50th Anniversary celebration with showcase events both on and off the track.

6/27-6/29 - Mid-Ohio Road Racing Classic (Rolex Sports Car Series Event)

The Grand American Rolex Sports Car Series' dynamic new prototypes battle in a Saturday evening showdown. Weekend includes Grand-Am Cup, Formula Ford 2000, Fran-Am 2000 and Stock Car Championship Series events.

In previous visits to these and similar events, there are a number of different support races going on throughout the day so it is worth the trip. From my house it typically takes about an hour and a half. This would be about the same distance for the C-Bus folks too. Here is a link to the Mid-Ohio web site.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of my fondest memories was watching IMSA Group C cars compete at Mid-Ohio in the early 90s. It rained the whole weekend, I sat on the side of the hill overlooking the end of the back straight and the hilly section of the Esses. I had a blast, although the rain made it for a cold and damp visit, the drama never let up because of the slippery track.

If you have not gone to a sports car race, go! And if you have never been to a vintage race weekend, all I can say is I'm sorry because you are missing out on one of the best activities for a car person.

One of my favorite tracks!
Old 06-16-2003, 07:14 AM

Hey Doug thanks for the map! We usually park our butts on the hill by 12 & 13. They used to let us pull in and park right by the hill, but last time I was there they were telling me I couldn't do that and had to park in the lot. . One of my friends was camping there so they finally let me through if I promised to park by his camper (which was right by 12). P.S. Watching them come around 11 is way cool. Lots of off-roading goes on there.
Old 06-16-2003, 07:17 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by OhioRacer
[B]Hey Doug thanks for the map!
Old 06-16-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would looooove to go. I've been to the vintage race many times, and saw the old prototypes race in the early 90's as well.

Doug: were you there the last year the old one's ran in the early 90's? I was sitting in the back straight grandstands and remember the two dominant Toyota's come together in the esses. I believe one of them was driven by one of Fangio's grandson's. Anyway, sportscar racing has always been my favorite, but haven't seen the new ones run yet.

Unfortunately I have plans on both of those weekends. This coming weekend (21'st, 22'nd) has the slight possibility of being cancelled. If that happens, and I can keep a 3 year old entertained at Mid-Ohio, maybe I can make it work.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:16 AM

I have never been to Mid-Ohio! Wait, I have never been to any racetrack!!!

I have lived a sheltered life.

So, if we get a group going, I am up for it!
Old 06-16-2003, 09:42 AM

Dave (Viper) said he'd be interested in the 2nd event, the Rolex races. I agree. Plus, with two S2K events 2 weekends in a row, it would be politically correct to spend a weekend at home.
Old 06-16-2003, 09:57 AM

The second one initially sounded more interesting to me, too. It probably works out better also, since I have tentative plans this weekend.
Old 06-16-2003, 12:37 PM

I was planning on going to one of the two events [ assuming in town ].

Brad, the key to keeping the girls happy has been a large blanket on the hill behind the keyhole [4] and about $100 in junk food from the store the day before. We head out to the local supermarket and I just let them get whatever they want. Not always a pretty sight, but has allowed me to watch some of the races from time to time. They charge up on junk food, and then run up and down the hill until they discharge [ I must admit this backfired 2 years ago when the girls talked me in to letting them stay in Mom's van alone while it rained. About 1.5 minutes after I left the van [ time to walk from van to chair and open drink ] they had the alarm set off and had totally trashed the interior. Kelly had sat on a 6 pack of cup cakes without knowing it [ had a poncho on in the car ] and had spread icing all over the van interior. Alarm went off alerting me that something was wrong and I returned to the biggest cup cake mess imaginable ! ]

It doesn't get any better, sometimes
John
Old 06-16-2003, 01:50 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waybrig
[B]Doug: were you there the last year the old one's ran in the early 90's?

Quick Reply: Mid-Ohio Events