Ohio S2000 Club Ohio S2000 Owners Club

Moving from Dallas to Columbus, where to live?

Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving from Dallas to Columbus, where to live?

Hey guys,

I was just needing some advice. I am moving from Dallas, TX to Columbus, OH for a one to two year fellowship at Nationwide Children's Hospital. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestion on a good apartment in the area that I could live at that had either (a) private garages or (b) gated parking garages. I would like to live close to the hospital if possible, but safety is a concern. I have had three cars stolen in Dallas so I get paranoid from time to time I checked at some places online near the Scioto River (sp?) called the Annex at River South but I am not sure if they have any availability. I will be moving probably at the end of June/ Beginning of July as I start in the third week of July. Any help would be appreciated! I look forward to meeting some of you out there!

-OJ
Old 04-20-2010, 11:19 AM

My wife is an RN at Children's, and you're smart to be thinking about safety. Someone tried to carjack her around the corner from the hospital one morning, and she knows of numerous instances where employees and patients' families have been mugged, robbed, pistol whipped, even raped, on Children's property. For whatever reason, these instances rarely are reported in the news or the paper...

Anyhow, I guess it depends on how close you want to be. You don't want to be anywhere in the immediate vicinity. You may want to see if you can find something in German Village, Bexley, Victorian Village or the Short North generally, though I'm not sure of the apartment scene in any of those areas.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:23 AM

Yikes, sounds like Dallas. I got recommendations for all those areas from my supervisor, so I will definitely check them out. Thanks for the help!
Old 04-20-2010, 11:27 AM

Yeah, for whatever reason, everywhere we've been the best hospitals and schools are usually in the worst parts of town.

Notwithstanding the safety issues around the hospital, Columbus in general and Children's in particular are great...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:46 AM

Yeah, same here in Dallas. Looking forward to living up there. Random question. What kinda tires do I need to put on my s2000? I am not familiar with the weather. Dallas is random weather, a lot of rain, a lot of heat, snow, ice. I got by with my tires im using now and was wondering if that needs to change?
Old 04-21-2010, 02:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by civiclx,Apr 20 2010, 02:46 PM
......... and was wondering if that needs to change?
I'd look for a POS DD and park the S2000 when working

Children's sits right in the middle of the poor side (high crime) of C-bus

Also the commute is notorious for long drive times due to I-71,I-70 and SR-315 all converging in that area

We lived in Worthinton for 10years and I commuted downtown everyday about 45min for a 10mile trip

I'd recommend Worthington and plan on the commute
Old 04-21-2010, 04:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

New Albany, There are nice appartments around the corner from me that I stayed at while my house was under construction. Gated entry and a pool. My wife makes it to Childrens in about 20min. Longer with traffic, rain, or snow. You do not want to stay near the hospital let alone walk a few blocks from there. Real bad part of town.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:59 AM

As far as tires go, when I had my S2000 I would run high performance winter tires (Dunlop Wintersport M3 or 3D) from about November until May, and the summer tires for the remainder of the year. We daily drove our S2000 with that setup (and a hardtop), and never had any issues.

In fact, with that setup, the S2000 was the most fun winter car we ever had (and I think that's saying a lot, seeing as we know have an Evo and an STI).
Old 04-21-2010, 11:00 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone, i really really appreciate it. So far the suggestions I have been given are the following:

Short North, Victorian Village, German Village, Worthington, New Albany, Brewery District, Bexley, Clintonville, Westerville.

Of those, I am looking for an apartment with a garage or gated parking lot/ garage, and prefer to keep the apartment as a single bedroom under $1,000. I want it to be a relatively safe neighborhood. Commuting isn't a big deal to me as I have commuted upwards of 50 miles a day for the last 7 years in Dallas/ Fort Worth. My time will be split among Nationwide Children's Hospital and a satellite pain management clinic in Westerville. I know I am asking a lot of questions but you all are being really awesome about helping me out! What suburbs/ cities/ areas do you think i should narrow my focus on given what I am looking for?
Old 04-21-2010, 12:48 PM

I am in Clintonville/Worthington area - Not too bad to get to anywhere traffic wise. MD

Quick Reply: Moving from Dallas to Columbus, where to live?