S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   Ohio S2000 Club (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/ohio-s2000-club-95/)
-   -   Route 26 Spring Drive "Official" Thread (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/ohio-s2000-club-95/route-26-spring-drive-official-thread-116877/)

OhioRacer 04-15-2003 08:53 AM

Route 26 Spring Drive "Official" Thread

This will become the "official" thread for the spring Ohio Route 26 Drive. Please post all future comments to this thread all the way through post-event pictures. :thumbup: Details are as follows:

Event Dates and Itinerary:

June 7-8, 2003

The NE Ohio people will meet at Belden Village Mall in Canton at approximately 8:30AM. We will head south at 9AM sharp.

The Central Ohio people will meet at the Brice Rd. J.C. Penney Outlet Mall at 9AM and will depart at 9:30AM sharp.

Both groups will combine at the Super 8 Hotel exit 178 (Route 209) off Interstate 70 (gas stations available) at approximately 10:45AM.

We will stop for lunch in Woodsfield. Ample street parking is available.

We will stop prior to Marietta at a staging area for photo opps.

For those staying at the Hampton, we will check in upon arrival in Marietta. For those not staying overnight, it might be wise for everyone to still meet at this parking lot.

We will proceed to downtown Marietta for dinner and cocktails at the Marietta Brewing Co.

Lodging: Hampton Inn Marietta, Ohio

The rooms will be $89 per night for a single (usually has a king bed) unless we can commit to 10 rooms, in which case the cost per room drops to $72. I reserved a block of 10 rooms. Update: Looks like we MAY get the rooms for $72 even if we fall short of the 10 room minimum.

To reserve your room, please call 1-740-373-5353 and give them the following code number when making your reservation - OHS. This will ensure you are part of our group and get the discount. Make your reservations PRIOR to May 16th. After that date, they will release any of the 10 rooms not reserved.

Drive Leader: Waybrig (Brad)

Drive Requirements:

Everyone participating must sign a waiver form on the day of the event. For those who are minors (under 21), you must also have a waiver form signed by your parents prior to the event date. This is a requirement of the drive.

Everyone participating must FAX (440-684-3102) to my attention a copy of their current insurance card and drivers license.

Drive Structure:

Based on last years experience, we will arrange people into three groups based on your driving experience and preference :

Aggressive: You have the age/maturity to not let testosterone get you into trouble. Hopefully you've had some autocrossing and/or track experience. You are very familiar with how your car handles at it's limits. You want to focus on driving your car close to it's limits through tight corners while still remaining safe. You simply want to enjoy the drive, not prove how fast you or your car are. (

Moderate: You enjoy pushing your car some but you don't have experience/confidence near the limit of adhesion. This group will still be pretty fast, just not as intense as the "aggressive". You might have a passenger that likes going fast.

Sightseeing: You are mostly interested in a beautiful drive through the country with friends on a sunny day. You don't want to feel rushed and feel like you have to keep up with the group. You may be an "aggressive" driver, but you've got a passenger that isn't used to this sort of thing so you don't want to make this a miserable trip for them.

Please reply to this thread which group you would like to be in and I will keep a roster here.

Participants:

bkincaid - room = yes - group = aggressive
ohioracer - room = yes - group = moderate leader
spt-s2k - room = yes - group = moderate
waybrig - room = no - group = aggressive leader
strangedaze - room = no - group = moderate
mule (Viper) - room = yes - group = aggressive
david1 - room = no - group = aggressive
andrewb - room = yes - group = sightseeing
mchester - room = no - group = moderate
jonasm - room = yes- group = moderate
dwb1 - room = no - group = aggressive
hardtopguy - room = yes - group = aggressive
john576 - room = yes - group = aggressive
eskargo - room = yes - group = moderate
lovetodrive2000 - room = yes - group = aggressive
chix rule - room = yes - group = moderate

StrangeDaze 04-15-2003 10:24 AM

Put me in the Moderate group. And thanks for all your work coordinating this!!!

Mchester 04-15-2003 11:33 AM

Everything in Moderation please... :drive:

OhioRacer 04-15-2003 01:53 PM

Originally posted by StrangeDaze
Put me in the Moderate group. And thanks for all your work coordinating this!!!
Thanks Joe. This is actually getting to be a lot of work. :nopity:

JonasM 04-15-2003 03:40 PM

I think I'm ready for the Moderate group, too. Sounds like the it's the biggest so far! ;)

Of course, david1 hasn't weighed in yet! I wonder which group he'll drive in? :confused:

JonasM

David1 04-15-2003 04:49 PM

I will either be in the moderate or aggressive. I might have a passenger with me, but he turned white at 135mph. I don't think he wanted back in the S for a while. At least he wasn't with me when I spun at the auto X:D
Plus, I need to ask myself do I want to fix my windshield again:(

OhioRacer 04-15-2003 04:53 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by david1
[B]I will either be in the moderate or aggressive. I might have a passenger with me, but he turned white at 135mph. I don't think he wanted back in the S for a while. At least he wasn't with me when I spun at the auto X:D

David1 04-15-2003 05:17 PM

C'mon now, were all aggressive at some point:stick:

OhioRacer 04-15-2003 05:20 PM

Originally posted by david1
C'mon now, were all aggressive at some point:stick:
Everyone knows you as the Clint Eastwood of the S2K world. Visualize Dave at a stop light looking over at the poor sap in a 1976 Plymouth Reliant K: "Come on punk (rev engine) make my day!" :LOL:

dwb1 04-15-2003 05:57 PM

I will try to make the run . Put me with the crazy

Destiny2002 04-15-2003 06:12 PM

Are owners from other clubs invited? :hello:

I have arranged a Route 26 drive myself... Pennsylvania, that is! Click Here This event is May 18th.... Join if you like.

Evidently you changed the date of your even, which now allows me to attend!

So please put us down for your Ohio event and stayover, which would need to include Friday night too.

With my wife along, would be sightseers :rolleyes:

Paul (and Janet)

David1 04-15-2003 06:22 PM

Look here.
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=116941

David1 04-15-2003 06:24 PM

And here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=116525

OhioRacer 04-16-2003 05:01 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Destiny2002
[B]Are owners from other clubs invited? :hello:

I have arranged a Route 26 drive myself... Pennsylvania, that is!

bkincaid 04-16-2003 06:23 AM

Put me in aggressive. I may regret it, but I won't have a passenger and my confidence level is high coming off the Mid-Ohio weekend! False confidence as it may be.......:drive:

Mocky 04-16-2003 04:07 PM

Sounds like you're putting together a really nice group. I'm tenatively in, but like some others, I may or may not be available that weekend. Also, I'd most likely drive back up to Columbus that night so I wouldn't need a place to stay in Marietta. Sounds like a great drive :thumbup: :what:

OhioRacer 04-16-2003 04:24 PM

Originally posted by Mocky57
Sounds like you're putting together a really nice group. I'm tenatively in, but like some others, I may or may not be available that weekend. Also, I'd most likely drive back up to Columbus that night so I wouldn't need a place to stay in Marietta. Sounds like a great drive :thumbup: :what:
Tentative my ass!!!! :LOL: . Nobody has met you yet so you better get your butt to this event. Which group shall I put you in?

Mocky 04-16-2003 06:38 PM

Originally posted by OhioRacer

Tentative my ass!!!! :LOL: . Nobody has met you yet so you better get your butt to this event. Which group shall I put you in?

oops...sorry.... that's true..
this is me:
http://www.ronald.com/ronald/images/r_c1_14.gif
:D
Well, again, going back to the previous question..I have no idea..you can keep me "moderate"....although, if my friend from the Columbus group comes along, bump me up. He ordered his S2k..it's being made in June...

SKYS2K 04-17-2003 12:27 AM

:( I really don't know if I can make the trip or not. My final exams will be held on June 9-13, so I am sure I will be very busy at that time. On the other hand, I really want to make this trip, since we had lots of fun last time.

If I decide to go, I will do it same as last time, aggressive group, and no stay, but I will take my hardtop off this time for sure.

spt-s2k 04-17-2003 05:58 AM

More than likely I will go in the moderate group.

Destiny2002 04-17-2003 08:00 AM

Good stuff. Yes, I'm Allegheny! If there is no "sightseeing" group, I will do the back end of moderate.

andrewb 04-17-2003 09:55 AM

My wife and I will be in the sightseers group. After taking her on the Ohio River Valley tour into Indiana with the Cincy folks (The group I call PX2 {Posted speed limit times 2}) she said never again.... Besides, I'd like to see and photograph the covered bridges. Also, is the group planning on bringing FRS radios? It's nice to have so the first group that gets pulled over can alert the folks at the back of the pack!

StrangeDaze 04-17-2003 09:57 AM

I have one FRS radio that I will bring. Last year, we didn't use any, but if enough people bring them, we can give it a try.

OhioRacer 04-17-2003 10:13 AM

I have a cell phone. That worked pretty good. Brad (leader) would call me and tell me what was going up front (where are you guys? :D ). But 2-way radios would be nice too if anyone has them.

OhioRacer 04-17-2003 10:14 AM

[B]Good stuff.

spt-s2k 04-18-2003 03:34 AM

I'll bring two Motorola T6400's. Communications should be a part of all of our trips. Cell phones are OK, but for these types of trips the two way radio's could be better.

OhioRacer 04-18-2003 06:02 AM

My room is booked. :thumbup: . Anyone else?

Mchester 04-19-2003 02:52 PM

I have two Motorola Radios I'll bring along.

OhioRacer 04-20-2003 11:50 AM

Originally posted by Hardtopguy
You know were to put me. The only trouble with me is that I will have a trunk full of bowling balls (at least four). That will be my handicap so you guys can keep up with me. So much for my 50/50 weight distribution. I'll be booking my room tomorrow.
I'm off to Knoxville from Marietta. We bowl Sunday at 8:00pm.

I guessed aggressive. Is that correct?

ESKARGO 04-24-2003 06:33 PM

I am not a member of any club yet, but I am interested in your Route 26 Spring Drive. Do I need to be a member? What do I need to do in order to participate?

JonasM 04-24-2003 06:48 PM

ESKARGO, the only requirement of the club is that you want to be a member! It's not much more official than that. If you want to join us in the drive, just PM OhioRacer (our local organizer) - all the relevant info is at the top of this thread. Always good to have another member!

JonasM

Mocky 04-24-2003 10:31 PM

quick off topic question(well, maybe not quite off topic). is it just S2's running? My friend with a non-S2k wanted to run, but I didn't know what the deal was so I told him probably not.

OhioRacer 04-25-2003 07:57 AM

Originally posted by ESKARGO
I am not a member of any club yet, but I am interested in your Route 26 Spring Drive. Do I need to be a member? What do I need to do in order to participate?
Do you have an S2000? Let me know if you need a room and which group you would like to be in. See the beginning of this thread for details.

Mocky 04-25-2003 10:36 AM

btw. confirm me for the drive :thumbup: i'm working on having my friend who is returning his '00 S to come along. I guess his brother lost his job, the S is leased, and he's returning it. Still got some mileage to burn though :D (I'll work on the girl from CWRU as well):thumbup:

JonasM 04-26-2003 08:54 AM

Well, I finally booked the room, so it's official - no backing out now!

I also ordered a new Digital Video Camera last night, so as soon as get back from Oz, I'll be working on a mount for it. I intend to record the entire drive to play back on those cold winter nights when Ginger is sleeping in the garage!

Getting impatient already.....

JonasM

PAS2KNut 04-26-2003 01:45 PM

Ohio,

I was able to make arrangements so count me and my little lady in. I will also need a room and would like to be in the moderate group.

Jim and Rhaeann

StrangeDaze 04-26-2003 03:41 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonasM
[B]Well, I finally booked the room, so it's official - no backing out now!

JonasM 04-26-2003 03:45 PM

Canon ZR70 - my brother has last year's model (ZR50) and let me borrow it. It's nice and small, and seemed to have most of the essential bells & whistles. I also ordered a 10 hour battery, so no problem running it pretty much all day.

I don't think I'll have a problem coming up with a decent mount. It may not be pretty, but it should work OK. I've got a couple ideas already.

JonasM

OhioRacer 04-27-2003 10:57 AM

Reminder: Call the Hampton Inn and give them the code when you make your reservation. It looks like all 10 rooms are spoken for. If we need more, I'm guessing they can accomodate us. But the reservations are on a first come basis.

bkincaid 04-28-2003 08:37 AM

Just booked my room, they still have them available at the $72 rate. Can't wait!!

OhioRacer 04-28-2003 04:28 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hardtopguy
[B]I booked mine too :D

StrangeDaze 04-28-2003 04:34 PM

Is that blown-engine dust? :LOL: . A couple guys you met last week at the NSX run have inquired about bringing their machines along with our drive. I told them they were more than welcome. Man, this is going to be big. How are we going to keep everyone together? Is there a table big enough at the Marietta Brewing Co.? :yikes:

I don't think they'll have a table big enough at MBC. Let's call them and rent out the joint for the night!
:D
Seriously, I say invite all the NSX guys along. I know some of them were asking and were not sure if they'd be invited along on the other planned runs.

Destiny2002 04-28-2003 04:53 PM

I just made my reservation at the Hampton inn :thumbup:

I plan to meet the group at the super-8 off I-70. What is the range of time that the group will be there? I assume the group will arrive and hang out for a while for some of us out-of-towners to arrive :what:

Is there an itinery for Sunday? I'd like to have an idea where the run ends and appx. what time that would be.

OhioRacer 04-28-2003 05:30 PM

[B]I just made my reservation at the Hampton inn :thumbup:

I plan to meet the group at the super-8 off I-70.

David1 04-30-2003 07:16 AM

I have been talking to Mitch B. He would like to attend and will find out how many other NSX people want to come. I said it shouldn't be a problem since Hardtopguy is comming as is a Viper.

Ubetit 04-30-2003 10:21 AM

Count me in for Saturday. I can't stay overnight however.

john576 04-30-2003 12:05 PM

Just posted this on Mid-Western section on prime forum. I am in for sure in the aggressive group, unsure about over-night stay at this point though. Thanks for inviting the X's
-John

OhioRacer 04-30-2003 04:36 PM

I have been talking to Mitch B. He would like to attend and will find out how many other NSX people want to come. I said it shouldn't be a problem since Hardtopguy is comming as is a Viper.
Please advise on GROUP and ROOM requirements.

OhioRacer 04-30-2003 04:38 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ubetit
[B]Count me in for Saturday.

waybrig 04-30-2003 06:01 PM

Sigh...which group would you like to be in?

Maybe we should just elope Carmen. :drive:

Destiny2002 04-30-2003 07:16 PM

:lightblb: Maybe some people need to know what stigma is attached to each group before they decide? :thinker:

StrangeDaze 05-01-2003 05:02 AM

Here's how it works:

In theory, each group drives at their own pace. In practice, everyone ends up driving at about the same rate with the major distinction between the groups being your position in line:

Aggressive group - this group is in the front of the line.
Moderate group - this group is in the middle of the line.
Sightseeing group - this group brings up the rear.

I picked the moderate group because it eases my conscience to think I'm not in the aggressive (read that: insane) group. And I'm too young, dumb and full of, err, uh I forgot the rest... to allow myself to pick the sightseeing group. So, I hope this helps clear things up for those of you still wondering what group to pick.

;)

*** In all seriousness, I hope that no one overdrives their skill or their car. Only you can decide what choices to make in your life. ***

waybrig 05-01-2003 10:44 AM

I feel the urge to clarify a bit on the groups as well. First, nothing is written in stone. For instance, last year David said he was "leisure" (we only had two groups), but he certainly belonged in "aggressive", and that's where he ended up. Even in the middle of the run you can always wave people by that are pushing you too much or you can flash somebody in front of you to ask to pass if they are slowing you down. We all need to be mature enough to realize that different people are going to go at a different pace and try not to get caught up in trying to impress somebody. There are racetracks for that sort of driving.

Also, speaking of last year at least, the aggressive group was not "insane". I would define "insane" as being dangerous and reckless not only to ourselves but others on the road. I led the aggressive group because I know quite a bit of the road intimately. I know where it's relatively safe to push the car and explore it's limits. I know where it's best to take it slow even though it's tempting not to. Last year I never broke traction and I don't even think I had any tire squeal. Regarding speed, the fastest I probably went was ~90. There are a few places on this road you can easily break 100 in our cars. For me, going that fast on public roads would go over the edge to "insane". The great thing about Rt. 26 is you can have loads of fun without getting "insane". The speed limit for most of the trip is 55, so much of the time we won't even be speeding! If anybody in this year's group wants to go faster than I'm comfortable with, I will gladly pass drive leadership over to them.

Here's my take on the groups:

Agressive: You have the age/maturity to not let testosterone get you into trouble. Hopefully you've had some autocrossing and/or track experience. You are very familiar with how your car handles at it's limits. You want to focus on driving your car close to it's limits through tight corners while still remaining safe. You simply want to enjoy the drive, not prove how fast you or your car are. (I may be opting out of this group as I am not fully comfortable with my new car at the limit yet. I may also have passengers which will take me out of this group.)

Moderate: You enjoy pushing your car some but you don't have experience/confidence near the limit of adhesion. This group will still be pretty fast, just not as intense as the "agressive". You might have a passenger that likes going fast.

Sightseeing: You are mostly interested in a beautiful drive through the country with friends on a sunny day. You don't want to feel rushed and feel like you have to keep up with the group. You may be an "agressive" driver, but you've got a passenger that isn't used to this sort of thing so you don't want to make this a miserable trip for them.

I think that pretty much sums it up. There's no stigma in my mind to any group. I certainly don't feel like I'm god's gift to driving because I'm tentatively "leading" the aggressive group.

The countdown begins, just a little more that a month away!

StrangeDaze 05-01-2003 10:59 AM

I agree with your theory completely. However, I tend to think that in reality, the aggressive and moderate groups blur together quite a bit to where there really isn't much of a distinction.

Other than that, my previous post was a joke.

:)

Destiny2002 05-01-2003 11:38 AM

Hey, thanks for taking the "Stigma" off the sightseers, I think you nailed it! :thumbup:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by waybrig
[B]Sightseeing: ...You may be an "agressive" driver, but you've got a passenger that isn't used to this sort of thing so you don't want to make this a miserable trip for them.

I think that pretty much sums it up.

Mitch B 05-01-2003 12:10 PM

I intend to move heaven and earth to make it but at this point I probably won't be able to stay overnight. I'll opt for the :rev: group, lol.

I'll talk to John 576 to see if we can scare up any more NSXs.

Mitch B

David1 05-01-2003 12:22 PM

You guys know how I will be. I think my passenger has built up tollerance for my style from the Cinci run!!

waybrig 05-01-2003 12:42 PM

You guys know how I will be. I think my passenger has built up tollerance for my style from the Cinci run!!
Yea, we'll put you right in the back of the leisure group Dave. :rolleyes:

OhioRacer 05-01-2003 01:44 PM

Originally posted by waybrig

Maybe we should just elope Carmen. :drive:

LOL. What? That one went way over my head.

OhioRacer 05-01-2003 01:48 PM

Originally posted by Destiny2002
:lightblb: Maybe some people need to know what stigma is attached to each group before they decide? :thinker:

Sorry, my "sigh" was out of frustration. People read the thread, jump into the event, and don't follow the instructions. What that does is create more work for you-know-who to chase people down 3 times via PM's and such. I'm pretty anal about making the event enjoyable for everyone so I'll assume the "burden", (if you will) of following up with people so that they are placed in a group that they are most comfortable in and have a room if they need one vs. "ummm, where am I going to sleep tonight". Know what I mean?

OhioRacer 05-01-2003 01:53 PM

[B]I feel the urge to clarify a bit on the groups as well.

OhioRacer 05-01-2003 02:02 PM

Let's start the process of FAX'ing copies of your insurance card and drivers license to the FAX # at the top of the thread. I'd prefer to get this out of the way rather than chasing around 30 people in the Super 8 parking lot. All that will do is delay the fun for everyone. Angry S2000 drivers are a bitch to deal with. :D

waybrig 05-01-2003 06:08 PM

LOL. What? That one went way over my head.

I thought I might have to explain that one.

This thread started to feel like the infamous "small" wedding that turns into 500 guests and all the hassles that go with it. At some point the planners usually feel like saying "to hell with it, let's elope!" A nice two-some on 26 sounds quite appealing!

OhioRacer 05-02-2003 12:02 PM

[B]

I thought I might have to explain that one.

This thread started to feel like the infamous "small" wedding that turns into 500 guests and all the hassles that go with it.

JonasM 05-02-2003 04:05 PM

LOL. Got it. I don't mind since Jonas agreed to give me a 20% pay increase. Is it still snowing there? 83 here.

'Give you' ??? I meant for you to take it out of the club bank account. I figure that you can give yourself the entire balance, which should equal about 20% of what we're paying you now! Woohoo! Don't spend it all in one place!

JonasM

ohiodean 05-10-2003 11:25 AM

im so mad! i cant go! i have to go on an Alaskan cruise with my family :(, oh well, whats the next big event?

Ubetit 05-12-2003 09:04 AM

If I have a passenger I'll be in the moderate. If it's just me then I'll be in the aggressive group. I won't know for a few more days.

OhioRacer 05-12-2003 09:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ubetit
[B]

If I have a passenger I'll be in the moderate.

OhioRacer 05-12-2003 09:08 AM

I've only got 3 people who have sent copies of their DL and Insurance Card. Please forward to me ASAP. Thanks.

JonasM 05-12-2003 02:31 PM

Are the copies I gave you last year good enough? Or did you throw them out? I have an updated card for insurance, but the Driver's license is the same. Regardless, I'll get them to you about June 2nd!

OhioRacer 05-12-2003 04:17 PM

Originally posted by JonasM
Are the copies I gave you last year good enough? Or did you throw them out? I have an updated card for insurance, but the Driver's license is the same. Regardless, I'll get them to you about June 2nd!
No, I threw away last years copies. Aren't you 'down under"?

JonasM 05-13-2003 02:35 AM

No, I threw away last years copies. Aren't you 'down under"?

Yep - I'm in Melbourne right now. The trip started out well - I spotted a black S in the airport parking lot! With luck, I'll have time and be able to join the locals for a drive and a lunch on the 25th - I'll be emailing the local coordinator closer to the date.

Anyway, that's why I said you'll get the stuff on the 2nd - I'll be back home the eveening of the 1st.

G'Day, all!

JonasM

OhioRacer 05-13-2003 06:23 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by JonasM
[B]

Yep - I'm in Melbourne right now. The trip started out well - I spotted a black S in the airport parking lot! With luck, I'll have time and be able to join the locals for a drive and a lunch on the 25th - I'll be emailing the local coordinator closer to the date.

JonasM 05-13-2003 03:01 PM

Well, people here might disagree with me, but they drive on the wrong side. The logic goes like this: In the States, we drive on the RIGHT side of the road. Down here, they drive on the opposite side, which is therefore the WRONG side! :)

It's quite a challenge the first few times out. Hope there's someone in front of you on turns!

JonasM

Ubetit 05-14-2003 04:26 AM

Due to some recent family commitments I can't make the drive anymore. Maybe next time.