Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

[Portland] Looking for help changing engine mounts, AP2v2

Old 09-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [Portland] Looking for help changing engine mounts, AP2v2

Just recently moved to Portland and don't have a wrenching buddy. My 06 needs new engine mounts (after 104k miles), and wanted to see if I could get a hand replacing them in my driveway.

Happy to offer beer/pizza and some pocket change for coming over. Also up to assist on projects on your S2K if you need a hand - I have tools/jack/stands.

Not in a huge rush, just ordered the mounts from Ballade last night.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Howdy, not sure I am ready to start working on cars right now...I have a few skills but they're mostly dormant due to my age...I have just retired...(BUT, I will be with you in spirit during your future task..:-)
I'm wondering what the symptom is that has caused the need for the replacement engine mounts that you are going to fit...let me know in due course as I have an annoying rattle on my low mileage 2004...(AP2) ...really bad from the underside of the car when cold, gets better when hot but pretty consistent when idling...anyway, good luck and let me know if you get yourself into trouble...I will offer my help if you get stuck...cheers Ian...
Old 09-18-2017, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I got this, actually. Going to try to replace both engine and tranny mounts tomorrow storm or not . Thank you for the offer though.

I am (obviously) not a mechanic, but I would look into a new timing chain tensioner - I bought the Ballade one. A bad timing chain tensioner has the same symptoms that you are experiencing.

To answer your question about the engine mounts, I was shocked that they were torn. I read up on maintenance for the S2000, and it seems like the liquid filled oem ones tend to fail by 100k miles. Looking back, my symptoms were: slight rattle at idle, shift lever shaking excessively at higher speeds, and occasional difficulty in shifting into certain gears (oops, I find this out after I rebuilt/regreased shifter).

You can identify a torn engine mount by orange stains near your engine mounts. The motor mounts are liquid filled with this dirty orange fluid, and it's pretty obvious when they are torn because they spill this fluid.

I'm happy to help you with replacing your TCT or take a look at your motor mounts.