Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

CEL, need help from anyone :\

Old 04-15-2012, 08:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL, need help from anyone :\

So the nightmare show up. Took it in for diagnostic. This is what came up...

P1298 Electrical Load Detector Circuit High Input.

P0122 Code (Throttle Position Sensor/Switch A Circuit Low Input) - This answer my other post about the idling and such.

All current symptoms relate to a TPS related problem:
Rough/Low Idle
Surging
Stalling
No/Little Acceleration

^ exactly what i am having.....need help.

CEL P1456 EVAP Emission Control System Leak Deteacted (Fuel Tank System).

this one i never notice...I thought it was normal to smell the fumes if i start my car in the garage. Do not know if it horrible thing here or just an error.

All this I have gathered today and would like to seek help asap. Do not have load of money so asking a few of us here who could help.

Will take you out for lunch or dinner on me. Can't buy beer lol. Underage.

If not next time we have a drive to my restaurant, your tab is on me. :[ I am irritated on the idling thing.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:18 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

P1298: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/727...it-high-input/

P0122: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/907180-p0122-cel-code/

P1456: I got that on my car, it turned out to be the gas cap. I made sure it was tightened all the way, then about 40 miles of driving later CEL went away.

I hope this helps you out dude. I hate when lights turn on that aren't suppose to!
Old 04-15-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trouble codes are not meant to tell you exactly what is wrong. However they do give you a great place to start. Check out the fuel system from the bottom of the car and see if you can detect any obvious leaks. The Evap system is located near the Rear diff on the driver side. The Tps code could be a failing Sensor on the throttle body or maybe a bare wire that is shorting out. Wouldn't know unless you traced some of the wiring back to check. The ELD to my knowledge is a common issue with people who have an intake. There is a harness located on the underside of the Factory Air box that when Removed from its factory location has a tendency to rub on the Alternator Belt. Just a few places to check for simple issues. Anyone else want to drop your .02 ?
Old 04-15-2012, 09:47 PM

I think my gas cap is not in place, I took it out to get to the shop so they can get me the color match on my parts.

highly possible since it feel like we didnt put it back 100% right.

I have no intake just the oem box. But there was time when I had really bad act up where it will stall in the middle of driving.

Still get the rough idling still. We clean the throttle and seem to help....for a little.

I really want to fix this more then any other codes since those to me seem like minor. the idling is making me crazy.

Especially when the stall comes up and you have no idea what is even going on.

I am not good with my car yet I am still learning and many more to learn. Still do not want to drop it off at stealership....so seeking help here.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:22 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Anan, something to think about, the gas cap thing is the actual cap to the gas tank, not the cover. It sounds like you took that off to get the paint right. The CEL will only come on if the cap itself is not on properly.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:03 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by #172CR
Anan, something to think about, the gas cap thing is the actual cap to the gas tank, not the cover. It sounds like you took that off to get the paint right. The CEL will only come on if the cap itself is not on properly.
Exactly. Not the gas flip door itself, but the thing that you actually twist on after you fill up your car with gas. I've heard it was a common problem for some s2k's. Fortunately that's all it was for me. Wish I could help you out with what's going on with your car. I usually just do searches on google for codes that come up and there is usually an answers somewhere to be found. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:21 AM

You definitely want to check all wiring connections going to the Throttle Position Sensor and Electric Load Detector. Make sure they're all connected and not damaged. Also check for any disconnected/broken/cracked vacuum lines. IF you don't find anything then you may have to start throwing parts at it. From what I understand Honda will tell you that you have to replace the entire Throttle Body in order to replace the Throttle Position Sensor which the dealership will charge you over $600 for the part plus labor. But there is OmniPowerUsa.com that will sell you just the Throttle Position Sensor for $65 online. Its only a couple bolts and connector for the install. As for the Electrical Load Detector I think Honda has those for around $150 but you may be able to find it cheaper at RockAuto.com or something like that. Its pretty easy to install too. As for the P1456 code for the EVAP system I would just make sure the cap is on there good an tight. I always listen for at least three clicks when gas attendant puts my cap on. So for around $200+ you might get all your problems fixed. Good Luck
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by SickShift
You definitely want to check all wiring connections going to the Throttle Position Sensor and Electric Load Detector. Make sure they're all connected and not damaged. Also check for any disconnected/broken/cracked vacuum lines. IF you don't find anything then you may have to start throwing parts at it. From what I understand Honda will tell you that you have to replace the entire Throttle Body in order to replace the Throttle Position Sensor which the dealership will charge you over $600 for the part plus labor. But there is OmniPowerUsa.com that will sell you just the Throttle Position Sensor for $65 online. Its only a couple bolts and connector for the install. As for the Electrical Load Detector I think Honda has those for around $150 but you may be able to find it cheaper at RockAuto.com or something like that. Its pretty easy to install too. As for the P1456 code for the EVAP system I would just make sure the cap is on there good an tight. I always listen for at least three clicks when gas attendant puts my cap on. So for around $200+ you might get all your problems fixed. Good Luck

Thank you and will check all the lines to it. Will also tighten up my gas cap, I thought it was the gas door. -.- so the problem lies within the noob who fill my tank lol.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:24 PM

If you decide to swap TPs sensors I can send you the DIy or probly even come over and do it if you really need help
Old 04-18-2012, 09:49 AM

find TSB 04-002. There's a good chance your fuel fill pipe is shot. If this turns out to be the case don't be afraid to press for an out of warranty goodwill repair. They knew about this problem a long time ago when it could have been repaired under warranty.

Quick Reply: CEL, need help from anyone :\