Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Looking to move to the area

Old 04-04-2005, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to move to the area

I have been hearing from people that it rains a lot in the Portland area, very close to Seattle? Is that true or a misnomer? Long term residents, please advise. Also, what are some good towns w.r.t. housing, schools etc. We live in Upstate NY that has it's share of snow and rain, so looking to get away from it all ... within reason.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:06 AM

you're not gonna get away with the rain here. It's even more than what you get in NY. As for which area is the best to live in Oregon? That would be Hillsboro, IMO
Old 04-04-2005, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by TwistedS2k,Apr 4 2005, 11:06 AM
you're not gonna get away with the rain here. It's even more than what you get in NY. As for which area is the best to live in Oregon? That would be Hillsboro, IMO

Oregon has a mild Winter compared to NY but a good deal of rain throughout the year. Spring/Summer here are beautiful but can cause some irritation to those with allergies associated with grass and pollen.

My biggest complaint about Oregon, second to the rain, is that it is relatively slower paced and at times boring. The nightlife here is sub par for a Metropolitan area with as many people as we have.

I miss Orange County

If you do make the move I hope you consider joining our group and attending the events. We have a good group of individuals here and our meets are always a blast.
Old 04-04-2005, 02:52 PM

When you guys say good deal of rain, can you give me specifics? Does it drizzle all the time, or heavy rains, or rains for a few mths of the year, etc. Thanks!
Old 04-04-2005, 03:48 PM

I'm not sure in inches/year but it rains about 70% of the time nothing heavy but not a drizzle. Winter is rainy and cold, Spring is rainy with sunbreaks ajnd occasional warm weather, Summer is dry and warm, Fall is rainy with cloudbreaks and cany vary quite a bit on warmth.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:48 PM
c13

I don't think it rains 70% of the time, but it does often rain. I've lived here my entire 27 years so i'm pretty used to it. Where in the Portland area will you be working? You may look at living in Vancouver Wa. We have pretty good schools (especially compared to Portlands mess of a school system!) and housing is much cheaper. It's only a short drive from downtown Portland.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 PM

nov-june it rains a lot. this year has been abnormal and we had an amazing Feb-Early March. Through the 1st week of Mar, LA and Palm Springs had more yearly rain than OR. We made it up in 2 weeks. Now we're back on track.

typical Spring Saturday will consist of 30mins of rain, followed by 30mins of bright sun, followed by 30mins of sunny rain, followed by 30mins of grey, followed by 30mins of rain, followed by 30mins of sun, and repeat!

jun-oct usually great. Aug-Oct especially nice...mid 70's to mid 80's typical, no humidty, no sweating.

And starting in the Fall, goto work and its dark. drive home and its dark. sun will be up from 8-4:30 and thats it....

it sucks, stay in NY!
Old 04-04-2005, 11:51 PM

yeah, don't come to Oregon. The people here suck. They can't drive. As for the rain, it's one of those rains that makes you wanna commit suicide. It just drags on and on and on. Other than that, everything here is perfect
Old 04-05-2005, 09:55 AM

Come up here to Vancouver, BC. Much better weather than Vancouver, Oregon
Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 AM

Dudes .. this is depressing! So, what percentage of the year is top-down weather there ... sucks if it's always raining like some of you say. Here, I can drive top down mid April - mid October or so. It does rain here over summer too but not everyday. Snow from mid Dec - first week of April
usually.

Quick Reply: Looking to move to the area