Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

Looking to move to the area

Old 04-07-2005, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can surf the Oregon coast -- some of the best waves north of Santa Cruise, actually -- but you won't catch me in the water! Not that I actually surf, to be honest, but I've scuba dived all over the world, and I just can't stomach the idea of pulling on 7mm of neoprene or even jumping in with a dry suit.....

Our fearless leader, Greg, is, well, young but hardly dumb, and, as I said, everyone has different reasons for liking/disliking a place. What I always hated about Orange County is the feeling of unnaturalness to it. Green lawns in what really is an arid climate (same goes for the fruit fields that gave the area its name, but that's a function of perverse water rights, and, besides, the fields are gone, replaced by endless office parks, malls, and developments). What I do like about Oregon is the feeling that much of what's here (if you ignore the Beaverton valley) actually does feel a bit more organic. My two cents, your mileage may vary, and if you're really considering moving here, bear in mind that most Oregonians (including new arrivals) wanna close the gates to any more people.....
Old 04-07-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks Chris! Well put as usual with your observations of both Oregon and SoCal.

The last sentence in your post reminded me of another point to speak to. Compression. There are too many people here and not enough roads. The State and County's are constantly working on it but it will be a very long time before any city can say they are caught up.

A common quote among Oregonians is that we have two seasons here in the the NW, Winter and Construction.
Old 04-07-2005, 07:51 PM
wos

VTEC29K:

I, like my good friend Christopher (cbender), have lived in many places and spent time in many more. Among them was time I spent in your neck of the woods, living fours years in Syracuse while at SU doing my undergraduate work there. And though Rochester is right off Lake O, Syracuse had its share of foul weather - snow & rain - being just northeast of the Finger Lakes Region. The weather here in NW Oregon/SW Washington is much more tolerable. Late Spring through early Fall here is, in a word, gorgeous. You will not regret the move should decide to make the leap... a leap of faith, in part.

Best of luck in whatever you decide. Let us know if you do make it West.

Will
Old 04-08-2005, 04:52 AM

Thanks for all the great info specially from people who moved from the East Coast. Chances are very good we will move there July/Aug this year. Our other location is NC (RTP area), but we are leaning more towards Oregon. Nice to hear from a bunch of friendly S2K owners.
Old 04-08-2005, 05:56 AM

Nice dog, by the way. If you do decide to relocate, drop us all a line! We look forward to (possibly) welcoming you to the community. PIR (Portland International Raceway) is a great little track -- safe, easy to drive at 7/10ths, but very difficult to drive a truly fast lap... And our child, Georgia, would be happy to have a playmate....

Old 04-08-2005, 06:17 AM

Thanks! BTW, this is what our dog looks like .... he'll be happy to get a playmate too, I'm sure.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:23 AM

Same dog? If so, remarkably different perspectives/coloring (must be the light)....
Old 04-08-2005, 06:40 AM

No, the avatar is some other dog. Ours is a beagle. Your dog is nice too.
Old 04-08-2005, 08:03 AM

That would explain why your dog doesn't look much like a retriever... :LOL Thanks. Georgia's about 18 months old, turning into a very fine dog. She's been helping with my garage project (see another thread in the PDX subforum), so she's now got white paint on her ears...
Old 04-08-2005, 08:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, My parents have a had a rottie for about 8 years, she is the nicest rottie you will ever meet! Not taking her anywhere in the S though, so dont get any ideas!

Hey Chris, I kinda wanna go to pir this year with you sometime. I am definitely a novice. My track driving consists of 1/4 mile only. I dont have the money to dump into my car to make it an elite track car like yours , but maybe run it stock a couple of times?? I dont know whats all involved as far as classes or whatever... let me know though cuz I know your the one to ask!

Quick Reply: Looking to move to the area