Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

maybe moving to portland

Old 09-07-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,Sep 7 2006, 08:37 AM
Too bad there isnt a Mitsu down here in Central Oregon This is a great place to live and you would be a little closer to Medford Portland is nice though. I just moved from Portland(well, Vancouver) in January.

If I were you I would try and move to Vancouver, WA and get on at Dick Hannah Mitsu. You will have less of a headache with traffic but you will still be 15 minutes from Portland. Plus the schools are leaps and bounds ahead of Portland schools if you do have kids or plan to

I just seen that you don't have kids, my bad
so its kinda a pain to get to ray reese from metro portland?
Old 09-07-2006, 09:17 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think its a pain to get to Ray Reese. You can take Burnside St or Stark St up to 122nd. Or if you want you could take the freeway (I-84W). Hope that helps!
Old 09-07-2006, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Sep 7 2006, 08:54 AM
so its kinda a pain to get to ray reese from metro portland?
No, it is not a pain to get there. It is just easier to get around in Vancouver because of less traffic and unlike Oregon, Washington tends to complete road construction jobs before starting new ones It all depends on what you like. If you are into the city and arts then Portland is great. If you like to live more in the country but still be less than an hour away from the city and the arts then I would suggest living in Vancouver or its outskirts. I personally like the city but could never live IN the city. I like it to be quiet and peacful where I live.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by Bz2005s2k,Sep 7 2006, 10:44 AM
No, it is not a pain to get there. It is just easier to get around in Vancouver because of less traffic and unlike Oregon, Washington tends to complete road construction jobs before starting new ones It all depends on what you like. If you are into the city and arts then Portland is great. If you like to live more in the country but still be less than an hour away from the city and the arts then I would suggest living in Vancouver or its outskirts. I personally like the city but could never live IN the city. I like it to be quiet and peacful where I live.
good info to know!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harpoon,Sep 7 2006, 06:56 AM
Think about the public school situation if you have kids. Be prepared to pay for private.
Zactly what Jay said. If you could work in Vancouver or work from home, I'd think seriously about Vancouver. My wife and I don't have any kids, but the schools are excellent. But, if you LIVE in Vancouver (like I do), and WORK in Portland.... you're screwed. My drive is approx 14-15 minutes if I make it at 3 AM. Most days it's 30-40 minutes getting into portland and 45-60 getting home. Today it was an hour getting in, and God knows how long getting back across the river tonight. That part really really sucks. I need a freakin' helicopter!

Or possibly you could look at some of the outlying area's of Portland. Renting here first IS A GREAT IDEA! Can't stress that enough. With some time to really look around, I think you'd be much happier with your purchase. We've learned that lesson once.

Welcome to the area.
Brad
Old 09-07-2006, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by GoKart3,Sep 7 2006, 02:35 PM
Zactly what Jay said. If you could work in Vancouver or work from home, I'd think seriously about Vancouver. My wife and I don't have any kids, but the schools are excellent. But, if you LIVE in Vancouver (like I do), and WORK in Portland.... you're screwed. My drive is approx 14-15 minutes if I make it at 3 AM. Most days it's 30-40 minutes getting into portland and 45-60 getting home. Today it was an hour getting in, and God knows how long getting back across the river tonight. That part really really sucks. I need a freakin' helicopter!

Or possibly you could look at some of the outlying area's of Portland. Renting here first IS A GREAT IDEA! Can't stress that enough. With some time to really look around, I think you'd be much happier with your purchase. We've learned that lesson once.

Welcome to the area.
Brad
we're spoiled here, niether my wife or i have to use I-5 to get to work, can imagine taking an hour to go less than 15 miles. i will be looking for jobs in the car biz, as i have worked in it most of my life, my wife does medical billing so we'll have to consider commute times too.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah - living in Vancouver and working in Portland, I would never even consider. I work right by the airport so I see the 205 northbound cluster mess every day. Its a joke between about 330pm and 630pm.

If you are considering ray reese, consider looking in the Gresham / Troutdale area. I am actually buying a house in Gresham right now (closing date = Oct 6th!!! First house ). Gresham is a little cheaper, because its not as close to the city, but its still only about 30 minutes, max. And you would be pretty close to Ray Reese as well, just another area for you to look @
Old 09-07-2006, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by versionJDM,Sep 7 2006, 02:54 PM
we're spoiled here, niether my wife or i have to use I-5 to get to work, can imagine taking an hour to go less than 15 miles. i will be looking for jobs in the car biz, as i have worked in it most of my life, my wife does medical billing so we'll have to consider commute times too.
Dick Hannah owns the Auto Mall in Vancouver. They don't have the best reputation for customer service but they are soo big that is really doesnt matter. They have no fear in going out of business anytime soon. I have a couple friends that work at Dick Hannah and I could put in a good word for you if you need one You would be able to sell any of the car makes they have there if that is what you do(sell). One of my buddies is a VIP salesman. He only sells by appointment. That is the way to do it. He just goes by word of mouth to get new business instead of being the vulture type that need to fight with 10 other salesman on the floor.

though, do not live in Vancouver and work in Portland. It is hell driving back and forth.

Good Luck
Old 09-07-2006, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by spapdx,Sep 7 2006, 03:45 PM
Yeah - living in Vancouver and working in Portland, I would never even consider. I work right by the airport so I see the 205 northbound cluster mess every day. Its a joke between about 330pm and 630pm.

If you are considering ray reese, consider looking in the Gresham / Troutdale area. I am actually buying a house in Gresham right now (closing date = Oct 6th!!! First house ). Gresham is a little cheaper, because its not as close to the city, but its still only about 30 minutes, max. And you would be pretty close to Ray Reese as well, just another area for you to look @
nice area as well. Harsh cops in Gresham though
Old 09-07-2006, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My suggestion is for Tualatin area. You can get to 99E (auto row) in about 10-15 minutes, and if the freeway is backed up, I can show you all the backroads to get there. Only adds 10 minutes, but has a lot of sweeping curves , just have to watch for the West Linn cops for about 5 miles. If that doesn't work, then you can go up into Beaverton and hit Canyon Rd and all the dealers there from Tualatin also.

You can get to Rey Reese from Tualatin pretty easily as well.

Tualatin is close enough to the city to keep me interested. But far enough that I can get to the country in 5 minutes. It tends to be a little higher priced, but the area values are still climbing faster than the rest of the PDX area in general.

Quick Reply: maybe moving to portland