Oregon S2000 Owners The Club forum for S2000 Owners in Oregon and SW Washington.

PDX housing!

Old 05-11-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDX housing!

Well, I am graduating from undergrad in June (BS in Business Administration, concentration in finance) and was planning on moving back home to Tacoma for the summer until I found a job but lately I've been having the urge to move to the Portland area. I was wondering if you guys/gals could give me some good suggestions as to places to look for a place of residence. As of now it's just me unless I am able to find a roommate; so just one bedroom places. I am looking for an apartment or town house, preferably newer construction with a garage. I am pretty much open to anywhere in the Portland area.

Also, if you know of anyone looking for a fresh kid out of undergrad with a business degree let me know!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 05-13-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No help for an ex-S owner

David- I think that the main thing you will want to consider when living in the Portland area is location in reference to where you work. Commuting can be horrible if you live on the east side and work on the west side or the other way around.

Unless you are going to work on the West side (Beaverton/Hillsboro) I would suggest staying on the North side of P-Town or the east side (Gresham). Also depending on your situation living on the other side of the river is always and option as well. Vancouver is nice and you have great access to Portland. I grew up in Vancouver and I loved it there.

Good luck with the job hunt

Brandon
Old 05-13-2008, 11:31 AM

I saw this, but after thinking about it for a bit, it was a very difficult question to give a proper response to since its all based on if you actually get a job in Portland area, and if you did, which part of Portland. Portland area is pretty big, but if you end up on the Westside, a few of us could definitely help out on location selection.

Are you looking to rent or buy? I can tell you right now, at least the West side, rents are up, and houses are down, so if you are a buyer, you will be able to find some great values, but for rent? not so much.

Also timing. Are you looking to move within the month/year? I currently own a townhouse in Orenco Station Parkway with a 2 car garage that will probably be up for rent in the next few years depending on when my wife and I find our dream house to move into.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with Brian.

More details would help us narrow it down for you David. I am sure you are probably just wanting some suggestions but like Brian said it really depends on where you will be working, rent or buy, etc.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:28 PM

I wish I could tell you guys where I would be working, but, well, yea ...

As far as renting or owning goes I'm open to both. I hear that Portland is actually one of the strongest housing markets in the country right now so I wouldn't be completely opposed to buying.

I'll try and do some more research and get some more info so I can maybe narrow it down a little more.

Thanks for the input!!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:55 PM

If you're looking at buying, read the article on "The Housing Crisis Is Over" in the Wall Street Journal on 5/6/08. And yes, you're right, Portland, Seattle and Charlotte NC are the 3 strongest housing market in the last few months. I can help you if you're looking at buying in Portland or Vancouver with a pre-qual and all, I've been doing mortgages for 27 years in the Pacific NW. But when it comes to rentals, I can point you in the right direction if you're looking in Vancouver, but don't know much about the Portland rental market.

Let me know if you want to look at buying as I have a private website for all homes listed on MLS from Portland to Seattle without you getting spammed. Just PM me and I'll be happy to help.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Hey Amy, we should really to talk soon!

I actually really like the BG area, I like the quiet feel. Kinda like how Hillsboro was 10-15 years ago. Though I do work in Tigard, so travel would be a pain. But my wife and I are currently looking, but not quite in the Market just yet. Trying to save up a decent size down first.