Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

2012 PGP Lapping Days

Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by luder_5555
Oddly, the car is faster with the Saner bar, but I didn't like the way it felt at times. It pushed severely, especially on the lower speed corners. There were also cases where the car just absolutely refused to rotate. For the most part though, the car felt really balanced, so maybe I just need to adjust my driving.
My guess is that the car would be faster without the sanner bar if it is making the car push. You are probably faster with it because you feel confident that the rear is not going to step out so you are getting on the power sooner. Either way 1:14.9 is pretty fast. What tires?
You bring up a good point about mentally being able to get power on sooner and I think to some extent you're right. However, I do still feel like I was physically able to get on it sooner than I could before. Thinking a little harder about it, the pushing seemed to happen if I approached the corner at the wrong angle or speed and tried to correct it. The car would just wash out. There are a couple sections of the course where I really suck (back section, chicane things after T3), and the setup seemed to amplify the suckiness. I'm thinking some driver adjustments, and maybe some small tweaks to the setup (I can play with the damping or the stiffness on the front bar) and I can squeeze more time out. I will say I wish I could test your guess and go back to my stock bar, but the Saner is a bit of a pain to put in because it's so heavy.

As for the tires, they're Hankook R-S3's, 255/45(??)/17's all around. The fronts were getting really cut up on the outer edges from my fenders, so I threw those on the rear for this session.

Your name got brought up while we were having drinks afterwards because WSB brought his MIata out. How's CA going?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:56 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

A slightly pushing car is going to turn faster lap times for most "people" simply because you can find the edge and reel it back in, over and over again, around the entire track, without even thinking about it ........ now you put Fernado Alonso or Sebastian Vettel in the drivers seat and they're going to drive the loose car way faster than the tight one!

Side Note: My car is set up to push ..... a lot sometimes. ..... both Alfy and Jared have driven it so they can attest to the fact
Old 08-12-2011, 01:04 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by lig
As always - serious fun was had by all.

Excellent seeing you guys out there.

My new setup is entertainingly loose.
Dude, you are going to be forever trying to get your car back to as well balanced as it already was ...... you better write down the details of how it was before your old guy brain forgets and you start down the endless journey to get it back to where it already was
Old 08-12-2011, 06:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely good times for all! Shaved 2.5 secs off my best time with my new wheels and tires (17x9 255x40 rs3s all around). Finally in the 15s with a 1:15:5. All that time spent there finally showed some results.
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RT
Originally Posted by lig' timestamp='1313078735' post='20868620
As always - serious fun was had by all.

Excellent seeing you guys out there.

My new setup is entertainingly loose.
Dude, you are going to be forever trying to get your car back to as well balanced as it already was ...... you better write down the details of how it was before your old guy brain forgets and you start down the endless journey to get it back to where it already was

I'm just alignment and better tires away from where it was.

I ordered the RS3 Hankooks with the wheels and they were backordered to the point to where they wouldn't accept the order.

They offered the NT05s as an alternative. I read decent things about that tire and they looked kind of cool so I went for it.

Ooops. IMO the Star Specs are more sticky.
Old 08-12-2011, 09:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's CA going?
Very boring so far. The last track day that I did was the one right before I drove down here. Which for what I was doing over the last year, two months is a LONG time without a track day. I am planning on doing some endurance karting at Cal Speedway with Mike, but of everything in WA I miss PGP the most. I was really nice having a laid-back place close by to go get frustrations out.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by RT
A slightly pushing car is going to turn faster lap times for most "people" simply because you can find the edge and reel it back in, over and over again, around the entire track, without even thinking about it ........ now you put Fernado Alonso or Sebastian Vettel in the drivers seat and they're going to drive the loose car way faster than the tight one!

Side Note: My car is set up to push ..... a lot sometimes. ..... both Alfy and Jared have driven it so they can attest to the fact

Dude, your car was a mystery for me. I couldn't figure it out. It must work though (or you make it work) because you embarrass your FI'd brothers.

I'd say Honda agrees with your statement - they wouldn't have put bigger rear tires and stiffer front springs on the CR if they didn't. Also, I was far more consistent today than I was last time (with the looser car); similar lap times, "over and over again."

Congrats on getting into the 15's Stephen! You must be pretty satisfied, I was pretty stoked when I got there after throwing on all my parts.

All this talk makes me kinda want to get back out there. I thought I was done for the year, but any interest in an early September day?
Old 08-12-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

early sept. I think it falls pretty close to my bday
Old 08-12-2011, 09:52 PM

September schmeptember, I'll be out there Aug 24.
Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 PM

Received 800 Likes on 711 Posts

Juli indicated they'd keep the car days going into the fall/winter as long as the demand is there, and after September they are moving them to Fridays. I need to get a Torsen ASAP.

Quick Reply: 2012 PGP Lapping Days