Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

30,000 Mile Service And Price Questions

Old 07-15-2004, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Brake pads are cheap. Example: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=33564
Old 07-15-2004, 11:28 PM

If you get a floor jack, make sure it's low enough to go under the S. Lots of them won't fit under the car. You can get by with two jackstands for all the work mentioned so far. I don't trust a car supported by four jackstands so I try to avoid it and just raise just the front or back.

There are 'click' torque wrenches and beam type. I understand the 'click' type often go out of spec after awhile, I've got the beam type. They also come in different scales.

To bleed hydraulic lines you either need another person or an aid. I've got a vacuum pump, there are some other devices out there too.

Check out the stickies in under the hood like MaxGeek suggested. Unless you live next to the auto parts store, it's not a bad idea to have some extra transportation lined up while you're car's out of service. Ya just never know how a job's going to go.
Old 07-16-2004, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by traber,Jul 15 2004, 07:19 PM
OK... Since I currently own nothing more than a few screwdrivers and a couple of pairs of pliers, what tools will I need to do regular maintenance? Here's what I can think of:

1) Service manual
2) Floor jack
3) Jack stands (4)
4) Torque wrench (do these come in different varieties?)
5) Socket wrench set (Metric, I assume)
6) Combination wrench set (Metric also)

Am I missing something crucial? Any other suggestions?
Traber,

We can go to Sears together and I can show you what basic tools you need. I have a friend who is working at Sears and I can get you 10% off (pretty much save you tax but you have to pay cash)

I can show you how to change brake pad if you need help. We can do it in my garage if you don't have a place.

PM me if you need any help.

Eric.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by traber,Jul 15 2004, 02:22 PM
I just called Honda of Bellevue to get prices for service and here is what I was quoted:
$429 - 30,000 mile service
$148 - front brake pads (parts & labor)
$178 - rear brake pads (parts & labor)
$62 - oil change (Mobil-1 synthetic)

These prices seem a bit excessive to me. Does anyone have any better suggestions for service? I have asked before, but I can't seem to find the thread anymore. Has anyone else had the complete 30,000 mile service at a dealer?
The 30k service is terribly excessive. Perhaps they are doing more than the manual states, however. On the other hand I was never all that thrilled with Honda Auto Center of Bellevue.

I paid a little under $300 for the 30k service (in CA) as spec'd in the book. To that I also added some additional fluid changes that weren't called for. It might have been the diff and tranny or something else, I cannot remember specifically which wasn't called for. However, I dropped the oil change because I had already had that done recently.

Check and see if they are doing more than the recommendation states.
Old 07-16-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by MaxGeek,Jul 15 2004, 05:52 PM
You shouldn't have a problem changing the fluids yourself as long as you can jack the car up. I used the tutorials/guides by xviper and others to do my rear diff and tranny fluids. Oil changes are really simple you should do it yourself Its really quick after I installed fumoto (sp?) drain valve.

I've been doing one thing each weekend. I don't have a helms manual yet. I'll probably pick one up once I need new brakes. I only have 17k miles on my car so far so it will probably be awhile unless I get hardcore autox.
That's good advice to do one thing each weekend. That's how I do a lot of my maintainence--it doesn't all have to be done at once.

Your tool list seems pretty complete for this project, you should be able to get by with one medium sized torque wrench (30-100ftlbs) from Sears, and their aluminum jack seems pretty nice too. harborfrieght.com has some decent priced jacks and wrenches as well, although I prefer Sears/Home Depot for the torque wrench.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:20 PM

Are you sure it is

www.harborfreight.com

I get URL not found. I am looking for a decent jack for lowered car.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:59 PM

You can cheat and use the factory scissor jack to get the car up an inch to fit a common floor jack under the car. Did it last night to install my Single Exhaust. My car was about an inch short in the rear for the floor jack but a little help from the scissor jack and it went easy.
Old 07-16-2004, 03:41 PM

Yeah... this is what I have been doing. However, it is a lot easier to do it without using the factory jack. Just put it underneath and jack it up.
Old 07-16-2004, 04:17 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I made a ramp out of some 2x4s. Drive up on it and then slide the harbor freight jack underneath.

I used to do the scissorjack thing but it took too long and I'm changing wheels all the time for autocrossing - so a few scraps of wood and some screws and now I'm good to go.

Eric -

This is the jack that many of us seem to have...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Disp...temnumber=40105
Old 07-17-2004, 08:55 PM

Thanks a lot Jeff. This is exactly what I am looking for. Luckily they are still on sale.

Quick Reply: 30,000 Mile Service And Price Questions