Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Are all police using Laser these days?

Old 09-18-2002, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all police using Laser these days?

My family and I just took a trip up to Vancouver, BC this past weekend. I have not actually used a radar detector since moving out here eight years ago, but I decided to use my VERY old one for this mostly I-State drive up north. When I say very old, I mean it. I bought this detector about 16 years ago. It detects X and K only. I went by 2 cops that I definitely know were shooting, however, the detector failed to pick them up. In fact the only time the detector went off was for things other than cop radar.

This leaves me to wonder if most police these days are using laser. I assume KA is not being used much. Anyone with a relatively new detector (or at least one that detects all current bands) care to comment on what band they see police using the most?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rumor mill is that Radar guns tends to promote sterility and the cops can not reproduce, so their wives leaves them, so they grow mustaches as a sign that they are in the same boat with other officers then take it out by maliciously giving out tickets for any violations so that they can pay their alimony on time. Hence, going to laser since it seems to be more accurate and safer for them in the long run due to exposure to radar.

Tan
Old 09-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Around here (Ohio), Ka band is VERY popular. I'd say 80% of the alerts I get nowadays are for Ka band. Laser units are still far more expensive to buy (last I heard) so it's not used as much as radar. Standard X-band seems to be pretty much gone, with K band on the way out.

JonasM
Old 09-18-2002, 01:22 PM

I haven't seen my newish Valentine 1 (in use since February) give a report of LASER that I thought was real yet.

It's made a few false reports of LASER for emergency vehicles going by, and for sudden flashes of sunshine (it must get as used to the cloud cover as the humans do around here.)

Ted
Old 09-18-2002, 01:43 PM

I haven't had any "real" reports of laser on my V1 either. K and Ka make up the bulk of the radar gun alerts in my experience.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:48 PM

Wow, so they are using Ka. I thought that was used primarily for photo radar situations. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-18-2002, 01:57 PM

My V1 gives me readings for police on Ka constantly. It is the only alert than can cause me to instantly mash my brakes if I'm speeding (as opposed to X or K band).

I have also gotten hit with laser in the V1, luckily I wasn't speeding at the time.

MANY of these occurances were in Oregon and Washington on or near I-5 or Hwy 26 / 217.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Laser is not likely to replace radar for most speed measurements. Laser must be aimed outside the car so there is no mobile or bad weather laser use. Look for continued shifting of the radar bands (KA+) and more mobile use.
Old 09-18-2002, 02:08 PM

We definately have laser out here in BC. Usually you will find it with the freeway patrol. My relatively old detector has detected numerous laser hits and I have yet to be pulled over for speeding. I have heard that the S2000 without a front plate is hard to detect with laser (my next door neighbor was a traffic cop, so I'll confirm this with him).
Old 09-18-2002, 03:04 PM

Are radar detectors legal in BC?

Quick Reply: Are all police using Laser these days?