Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Need help...how do you take a boot off a car wheel

Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...how do you take a boot off a car wheel

Hey everyone. I have a problem with a parking company in Tacoma. My car was illegally held hostage by a parking control company. They placed a boot on the wheel of my car because I backed my car into the parking space instead of nose in. There was no postings stating that you cannot back your car into the space. There were three other cars that had also backed in and my car was the only one with a boot placed on it. They wanted $95.00 cash in order to free my car. Extortion? Obviously I did not have that kind of cash on hand and even if I had a dollar I would not have paid it to these people. They threatened to have my car impounded after I told them I wasn't going to pay them. I called Tacoma police and there was nothing they could do as I was on private property.
So I took my tire off, put my spare on and took off like a bat out of hell. Now they are going after me. I still have the boot on my wheel and I am trying to find a way to get it off without cutting it. I took pictures of my car and all the signs around and I video taped the whole complex that has no posted signs. I also have tape recorded voicemail and phone conversations with the parking company. These people picked on the wrong person. Does anyone have any ideas or know of any legal routes of getting these scam artists????? HELP!
Old 01-10-2005, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call John Chan..............I hear he is pretty handy with a GRINDER.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:20 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Go get 'em!

There is a guy in London who runs around in a superhero outfit freeing cars from those Denver boots.

http://www.iht.com/articles/112803.html
Old 01-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Wow that sucks! Find an atorney that could use the business and and have them file a lawsuit for you. I'm glad your not letting the sonsabitches you over
Old 01-10-2005, 05:30 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gospeedracer,Jan 10 2005, 05:59 PM
These people picked on the wrong person.
I guess they did! Hilarious story.

I'd say send them a letter (and keep a copy) stating that you are willing to return their boot if they are willing to remove it from your wheel for free.

Those boots are expensive -- they have more to lose. Otherwise they would have to take you to court to get it back.

If they say no, then cut it off.

I'm curious how you managed to remove the wheel. I thought most boots are designed to cover up the lug nuts and make that hard to do. http://www.denverboot.com/
Old 01-10-2005, 05:36 PM

Who gives a shit if you back in? I guess somebody trying to make a quick cheap buck does. I agree with Mike, send a letter and if that doesn't work, do what Nancy suggests and consult an attorney. I don't think there is a way to get it off without the key or cutting it. Regardless, good luck Jill. I'm glad you were clever enough to take the tire off, and record the area for evidence.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The boot only went through the wheel. It did not cover the lug nuts. And they put the boot on the front wheel.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:40 PM

Can you post a picture?
Old 01-10-2005, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by gospeedracer,Jan 10 2005, 06:39 PM
The boot only went through the wheel. It did not cover the lug nuts. And they put the boot on the front wheel.
Well, they were dufuses.
Old 01-10-2005, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by BBY2KS2K,Jan 10 2005, 06:36 PM
I agree with Mike, send a letter and if that doesn't work, do what Nancy suggests and consult an attorney.
Another option is to consult a locksmith. Then just dump the thing out on their doorstep.

Was the boot installed by the parking lot or was it installed by a third-party "parking enforcement service" that the parking lot hired?

Quick Reply: Need help...how do you take a boot off a car wheel