Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

New here! Any good engine rebuild machine shops?

Old 08-08-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool New here! Any good engine rebuild machine shops?

I just picked up a 04 s2000. been wanting one for millions of years, finally got one. I would like to rebuild the engine, but i need to find a shop that can do the machine work on the parts, so that i can put the engine back together. I tried searching the forums, but couldn't really find an answer.
Anything suggestions would be great. Locally in the tacoma, seattle area. thanks in advance!
Old 08-09-2017, 10:01 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

There is a reason for that. These engines have FRM cylinder liners and accommodating pistons. Not the best engine to rebuild in many cases. There is only a 0.25 amount of material you can overbore to before exceeding the FRM tolerance and that's not much, so in many cases its not even possible, especially since these high revving engines can get ovalized bores. One company makes an FRM compatible piston for this engine which is Mahle I believe. Some choose to put in an iron sleeve and forged pistons (mainly high boost guys) but that has its own drawbacks such as looser tolerances needed to allow the two dissimilar metals to expand to proper clearance when up to temp, which means some piston slap when the engine is cold and ultimately that means less longevity over stock. All that said, you still have to find a competent S2000 engine builder that's understand/knows his shit. Personally I'm not familiar with anyone around here myself. Usually the most cost effective and reliable/easy option is to just find a low mile used long block and swap it in.

What's wrong with your current engine/why do you think you need a rebuild?
Old 08-09-2017, 11:29 AM

There is a reason for that. These engines have FRM cylinder liners and accommodating pistons. Not the best engine to rebuild in many cases. There is only a 0.25 amount of material you can overbore to before exceeding the FRM tolerance and that's not much, so in many cases its not even possible, especially since these high revving engines can get ovalized bores. One company makes an FRM compatible piston for this engine which is Mahle I believe. Some choose to put in an iron sleeve and forged pistons (mainly high boost guys) but that has its own drawbacks such as looser tolerances needed to allow the two dissimilar metals to expand to proper clearance when up to temp, which means some piston slap when the engine is cold and ultimately that means less longevity over stock. All that said, you still have to find a competent S2000 engine builder that's understand/knows his shit. Personally I'm not familiar with anyone around here myself. Usually the most cost effective and reliable/easy option is to just find a low mile used long block and swap it in.

What's wrong with your current engine/why do you think you need a rebuild?
Nothing is wrong with the engine now, it has 107,000 miles on it, still runs great, but only was asking because i want it to drive like a brand new engine.
Thanks for the info, seems like building a brand new engine is probably a better choice and to just keep this engine on the side.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 AM

Also any meetups soon?
Old 08-09-2017, 03:12 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by gomboy86
Nothing is wrong with the engine now, it has 107,000 miles on it, still runs great, but only was asking because i want it to drive like a brand new engine.
Thanks for the info, seems like building a brand new engine is probably a better choice and to just keep this engine on the side.
Building any engine is expensive, and especially this one considering what I just laid out. Therefore unless your engine is consuming mass amounts of oil, showing low compression or high leak down numbers, knocking or anything else, save yourself the cash and headaches, its a Honda, it can go 300k+ miles. Just enjoy it. Your nearing its mid life. No sense in jumping the gun on this. Your not going to gain any benefits/performance from your money spent here. Just my .02

As far as regular meets go, our Monday meet in Mill Creek at China city is our only consistent meet goign these days it appears. Not sure if thats in your neighborhood or not. We do have a sticky for it at top of the page with everything else if your interested in checking out. Tuesday meet in Bellevue got shut down a couple years ago and im not sure whats going on with the South meet at this point. I gathered that fizzled out.

Congrats on the car by the way. Good year too!
The following users liked this post:
klapamos (06-09-2019)
Old 08-10-2017, 01:32 PM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts

If it is running well just take care of it and there will be no need to a rebuild like Junky is saying. There is plenty of cars with much higher miles than your that are running strong. Having an engine built for you will cost a lot of money. Just the block and head from inline pro is already in the neighborhood of $6k and still requires a core. And then what? You have a new engine but still a trans, diff and chassis that all have 107k miles on them.

You can always call up one of the big JDM brands and buy an engine from them. But brace yourself for the price (spoiler it is likely more than the cost of a second S2000).
ASM/Toda
Spoon
Old 08-16-2017, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
If it is running well just take care of it and there will be no need to a rebuild like Junky is saying. There is plenty of cars with much higher miles than your that are running strong. Having an engine built for you will cost a lot of money. Just the block and head from inline pro is already in the neighborhood of $6k and still requires a core. And then what? You have a new engine but still a trans, diff and chassis that all have 107k miles on them.

You can always call up one of the big JDM brands and buy an engine from them. But brace yourself for the price (spoiler it is likely more than the cost of a second S2000).
ASM/Toda
Spoon
I plan to build a engine from the ground up, this is a project dream of mine since highschool. now i'm in my 30s and have free cash because i have a well paying job and my wife finally let me start this project. I know how much the engine will cost to build, but i'll build a new engine slowly over time. Not so much about the money, but about the process.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:10 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

If the engine is fine, don't touch it. you will be wasting your time and energy assuming nothing is wrong with it. If the engine has been maintained and not abused, chances are the internals will show virtually no wear.

I would say have the valves adjusted and general maintenance
The following users liked this post:
klapamos (06-14-2020)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by starchland
If the engine is fine, don't touch it. you will be wasting your time and energy assuming nothing is wrong with it. If the engine has been maintained and not abused, chances are the internals will show virtually no wear.

I would say have the valves adjusted and general maintenance
yeah i plan on doing nothing to the actually engine i have. I plan to build a new engine on the side.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:49 PM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by gomboy86
yeah i plan on doing nothing to the actually engine i have. I plan to build a new engine on the side.
good plan. If your tracking, get a baffle pan, oil press/temp gauges.
otherwise these engines last forever assuming they are not overreved or starved of oil