Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Note: Northwest Track Information 2002

Old 03-27-2002, 10:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is intended to be one stop shopping for S2000-related track and event information for the Northwest region.

I am looking for contributions on additional tracks, schools, club events, reviews, etc. If you have anything to add, please post it to this thread, and I'll edit it into the top post.

Stuff that will be here:
  • Frequently Asked Questions about taking your S2000 to the track
  • names, locations and other details about road-racing tracks in the Northwest where we can participate with our S2000s
  • dates, prices and other details of driver's education and lapping days
  • links to other threads about specific events
  • members' reviews of various tracks and schools

Stuff that won't be here:
  • information about autocross locations and events
  • information about drag racing locations and events
  • information about karting locations and events
  • discussion of who's going to what event

(These would all be good subjects for other threads.)

Upcoming Track Event Listing:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=66333

Track FAQ
The fine print: I'm not a race car driver, mechanic, lawyer or your mother, I'm just a guy who's done a few track days and had a great time; use your own judgement and seek other opinions. Do not sue me.

Q: Is it safe?
A: While nothing is completely safe, especially when it involves cars, there are several reasons why the track is safer place than you would imagine. Everyone is going the same direction, with no cross traffic, hidden driveways, or kids darting out onto the road. Everyone is paying attention to what they're doing, instead of talking on a cell phone, changing radio stations, and reading a map. There are corner workers keeping an eye on all parts of the track, ready to alert you with a flag if there's something you should know about around the next turn. All in all, it's safer to drive fast at the track than on the street.

Q: Are these events really racing?
A: No, no racing is involved at these events! Passing is allowed only when the driver being passed gives a 'point-by' to the driver wishing to pass, and even then only at designated 'passing zones' or more accurately 'let-by zones', usually the straights.

Q: What should I do to my car to prepare it for the track?
A: The S2000 is amazingly well suited to go to the track without any major changes. The one area that you should think about changing before your first track day is the brakes: while they are excellent for street driving, the pads and fluid aren't up to the heat produced by the repeated heavy braking you'll do at the track. Good DOT 4 brake fluid and a set of performance brake pads are all you really need. Search this site or ask other owners for recommendations. At the track, you'll want to take anything loose or removable out of your car: floor mats, sunglasses, the spare tire and tools, basically anything that could move around and either hit you, get in your way, or be a distraction. Plus, a light car is a fast car.

Q: Can you tell me more about brake pads and fluid?
A: The stock brake pads may glaze, wear out, or crumble under heavy track braking. Glazed pads result in reduced stopping ability, requiring increased brake pedal effort; glazing will eventually wear off. You don't want to find out about worn out or crumbled pads! Popluar replacement pads inclulde Porterfield R4 (track only), Porterfield R4-S (track/street), BrakeMan #3 (track/street), and Carbotech Panther Plus (track/barely usable on the street), among others. Several site sponsors sell these pads. The stock brake fluid will boil under moderate to heavy track breaking. Boiling the brake fluid causes air bubbles in the fluid; the air compresses more easily than the fluid, which you feel as a 'mushy' pedal. This reduces your braking ability, especially your ability to control your braking. Popular replacement fluid includes Ate SuperBlue and Motul RBF 600 fluid; the SuperBlue is, believe it or not, colored blue, so you can tell when you've got all the old fluid out. I alternate between the two. In the Seattle area, SpeedWare Motorsports carries both of these fluids and Proflow Design carries the SuperBlue.

Flushing/bleeding brake fluid FAQ:
https://www.s2ki.com/article/articleview/8/1/33/

Q: What else do I need?
A: You'll need a helmet to participate in track events. If you have a decent motorcycle helmet, many track events will allow you to use it. They may require it to have a 'MA90' or newer rating, and of course it should fit you properly and be in good condition. Some events require 'car' helmets, which carry an 'SAxx' rating, where 'xx' is the last two years of the rating standard. My helmet, for example, is a 'SA95' helmet, because it was designed to the 1995 standard for Special Applications. Some of this site's sponsors sell helmets, or you can ask members for local shops.

Q: What about rollbars?
A: Those arches behind the seats in the S2000 are designed to support the car in the unlikely event of a rollover. They, along with the windshield frame, are quite beefy under the plastic trim and are attached to the car's frame. There have been reports of S2000 roll-overs where the occupants were protected by the stock roll hoops. It is possible, however, that you will run into a track event where they are uncomfortable with the S2000 as-is, and may say that they require an aftermarket roll bar or cage. In some cases you may be able to convince them with the above information to allow you anyway. Keep in mind, however, that for events where you will have an instructor in the car with you, that instructor must be willing to risk their head, too... I recommend that you verify with the organizers of any event you are signing up for that they will accept the stock S2000 roll hoops at the time you register.

Q: What about tires?
A: The stock Bridgestone Potenza SO-2s that come on the S2000 are probably the best street tires for a track event, other than their high cost. For your first couple of events, they should be fine. You will see the equivalent of several hundered (or thousand) miles of wear after a day at the track, though!

Q: How do I find out what my lap times are?
A: Disclaimer: Timing could be dangerous, either if it distracts the driver, or if the dirver lets the pursuit of better lap times cloud his or her judgement. It could also potentially cause insurance problems; some policies exclude timed events. Most (probably all) driving schools and many lapping days won't knowingly allow you to use timing, for insurance (and safety) reasons.

That said, here are four methods of timing laps:

1) stopwatch, either strapped down somewhere in the car and operated by the driver (a bit dangerous/distracting), or operated by pit crew (e.g., girlfriend, husband). Subject to significant error. (cost: free if you have a watch with a stopwatch function, otherwise $20-$100.)

2) video tape. Can be fairly accurate if you set up the camera either a) on a tripod where it will catch you crossing a line or b) on an in-car mount if you have a good landmark that you pass in the same position each lap. (cost: free if you have a camcorder and tripod, otherwise $50-$200 for a tripod or in-car mount, $400-$3000 for a camcorder.)

3) Hot Lap timer. Uses an infrared 'flashlight' transmitter shining across the track, an in-car receiver pointed so that it will 'see' the transmitter, and an in-car control/display unit connected to the receiver. The display shows you your most recently completed lap time while you're driving, and displays up to 60 laps' times for later review. Quite accurate if you can get the receiver to see the transmitter reliably. (cost: $185 for the in-car pieces, $65 for the transmitter.)

4) AMB transponder/loop/software. The SpeedVentures events like the Thunderhill days that some of us went to use this setup (they rent the transponders to you for the day). Very accurate, tracks all drivers indivdually, gives cool print outs suitable for gloating. This is what prefessional races use. (cost: if you have to axe, you can't afford it.)

If you hypothetically wanted to know your lap times at a more restrictive event, you could try to use the Hot Lap equipment without them noticing, although many instructors would probably spot it. You could also use the video or stopwatch method without much chance of detection. Whatever you do, try not to talk about lap times or timing within earshot of the event organizers, as they will likely have issues.

If you have any questions that haven't been covered here, please let me know.

Northwest Tracks:

Pacific Raceways (formerly Seattle International Raceway, SIR). 2.25 miles / 9 turns / counter-clockwise
http://www.pacificraceways.com/main.htm

Located just off Highway 18 near Kent and Auburn, Washington.

Pacific Raceways is a very fun and challenging course, with nearly 128 feet of elevation change. There are three places where you can get your S2000 over 100mph: the main straight, the downhill approach to turn 3A, and the back straight. The tree-covered back side looks like a beautiful country highway, if it weren't for the red and white FIA kerbs and corner workers standing by.

Construction Update: As of May 2002, major changes have already taken place in the transformation from SIR to Pacific Raceways. Runoff areas have been enlarged in several turns, with trees and rocks removed and new tire barriers added. Most significantly, turn 9 and the front straight have been reconfigured to keep the road course off of the drag strip. This will be a big improvement in the rain, as the drag strip surface was treacherous when wet. The first half of the straight is now to the right of the old hot pit wall. You return to the original surface via a gap in the wall and "the Kink," a new unnumbered left bend.

Tedster schools a hapless Corvette driver on the back side of Pacific Raceways

In-car video of Tedster doing one lap of Pacific Raceways new configuration with "the Kink":
http://homepage.mac.com/tedpeters/.Movies/...aceways1Lap.mov

Another video from Pacific Raceways. Watch for RT spraying me with water and cones.
http://homepage.mac.com/tedpeters/.Movies/...cewaysExtra.mov

Doug Hayashi's Honda Hall of Fame laptimes for Pacific Raceways/SIR:
http://www.nsxfiles.com/fame_seattle.htm

Lodging near Pacific Raceways:
Comfort Inn
One 16th St NE
Auburn, WA, US
Old 03-27-2002, 10:21 PM

Just reserving this space in case I run out of room in the first post. Hope to add info on Northern California tracks: Laguna Seca, Sears Point, Thunderhill.
Old 03-29-2002, 07:56 AM

Schools at PIR - Cascade Sports Car Club

2002 Driver training - March 30th, August 9th, October 25th

http://www.cascadescc.com/
Old 03-29-2002, 08:13 AM

And for the NASCAR types ....
450hp V8 Monte Carlo's at Yakima, Tri-city, Evergreen, Portland, Spokane
and Magic Valley.
Competitive Edge Racing School. www.racingschool.com

Anybody have info on Karts ??

la
Old 03-29-2002, 09:06 AM

Relson,

thanks for the info on Cascade SCC schools. I've added it to the top post.

Do you know for sure that they will accept the S2000 stock roll hoops? Have you been to one of their schools? If so, would you write a two-sentence review?

lawrence,

thanks for the info on Competitive Edge. I don't believe that they have any programs that would allow us to drive our own S2000s on the track, so I'm not incorporating them into the top post, but your post will serve as reference for anyone looking for that type of track experience.

Keep 'em coming!

Ted
Old 03-29-2002, 09:33 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lawrence
[B]And for the NASCAR types ....
450hp V8 Monte Carlo's
Old 03-29-2002, 11:46 AM

I've been to two events that CSCC has held. I ran my S2000 with stock roll hoops, and used a motorcycle helmet. No one said anything about either, but I didn't ask. I've seen two other S2000's at their events (both with stock roll hoops), and neither had problems.

Also, I believe you can use experience at these events to count toward your ICSCC(?) race license.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tedster
[B]Relson,

thanks for the info on Cascade SCC schools. I've added it to the top post.

Do you know for sure that they will accept the S2000 stock roll hoops? Have you been to one of their schools? If so, would you write a two-sentence review?
Old 03-29-2002, 12:15 PM

Relson,

were the CSCC events that you attended schools or lapping days? More importantly, did you have an instructor in car with you? It makes a difference if it's just your head on the line, or if one of their instructors has to feel comfortable...

I would recommend for any track event that you verify in advance that they will accept the S2000 roll hoops, especially if there will be an instructor riding with you. It would be pretty upsetting if you paid good money, took time off from work, drove a long ways, etc, just to find out that you can't participate.

The IRDC and Team Continental schools that I have taken do count as a first step towards getting an ICSCC racing license, and I assume that the CSCC is the same.
Old 03-29-2002, 12:31 PM

They were "Driver Training" days, and an instructor is required to be in the car at all times. The festival turns are blocked off, so you get the full front straight.

Originally posted by Tedster
Relson,

were the CSCC events that you attended schools or lapping days? More importantly, did you have an instructor in car with you? It makes a difference if it's just your head on the line, or if one of their instructors has to feel comfortable...

I would recommend for any track event that you verify in advance that they will accept the S2000 roll hoops, especially if there will be an instructor riding with you. It would be pretty upsetting if you paid good money, took time off from work, drove a long ways, etc, just to find out that you can't participate.

The IRDC and Team Continental schools that I have taken do count as a first step towards getting an ICSCC racing license, and I assume that the CSCC is the same.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:13 PM

Ive had an iching question regarding the roll hoops. I know everyone is built different, but what is the "maximum" height someone can be before the hoops become uneffective? Im 5'11" but never checked to see if my head went over it or not.

Quick Reply: Note: Northwest Track Information 2002