Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Rallycross: Pacific Raceway July 18th

Old 06-23-2004, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rallycross: Pacific Raceway July 18th

Here you go folks! Hopefully some of you might find this interesting...

Since the last Rallycross was a huge success SCCA decided to run it again. I ran the last event and had an incredible time whipping the tail end around the corners! Hopefully some of you will give it a try or at least come out and watch.

Let me know if you have any questions.

What is RallyCross?

RallyCross is an event where the driver's ability to control a vehicle on an unpaved surface is tested. A course is set up on grass or dirt and defined by pylons. Each vehicle takes turns negotiating the course. Speed is kept down to what one would expect on public dirt or gravel roads. Risk to the cars and drivers are minimal. The times for each run are added together and the person with the lowest total wins their class. Adding the times instead of the best time in Solo II is used to mimic RallyCross' big brother, Performance Rally. It also allows the course to be changed during the event if the course begins to rut. Even with no course changes, the times usually vary greatly during the day as the surface changes.

RallyCross is very similar to Solo II in the vehicles that are allowed and in the course workers. Normal street vehicles are allowed with no mandatory modifications. Vehicles must be in good working condition and must have seatbelts. Convertibles and vehicles with a high center of gravity (jacked up pickup trucks, etc.) are excluded. All drivers are asked to take a shift of working the course (picking up pylons that are hit) to keep the event going.

One can expect the car to get a little dirty at a RallyCross. The dirt and grass may catch low air dams. RallyCross does not allow yumps (rally term for a jump). Tire pressure should be run on the high side to keep the tires on the rims.

Membership in the SCCA is not required to participate. A state driver's license is required. Participants under 18 are required to have a special notarized permission slip (a "special note from mom"). Drivers must also wear helmets for their protection.

Here is the link for registration and event logistics:
http://www.nwr-scca.org/rallycross/July_18_2004.htm

Old 06-23-2004, 01:15 PM

Man... sounds like fun. Not sure my Eclipse front and rear bumper will hold. Hummm....
Old 06-23-2004, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eric, obviously you should use the swampbuggy on terrain like this! [Oh, guess not. "Convertables are excluded."]
Old 06-23-2004, 01:47 PM

Yeah... I agree. I could have kick some butt when I use my buggy. Man... this event is attractive.

Anyone going?
Old 06-23-2004, 02:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I may go to watch and take pix. Definately don't have anything to drive in that event.
Old 06-23-2004, 02:44 PM

This is the best way to get the rally experience without hitting trees!

I know Binaur and I will be there... I may even get my Bronco out on course. heh heh

I can't tell you how much of a blast the last event was. It was kind of like the last IRDC event some of us did at Bremerton, and a bunch of us went slipping and sliding over the wet VHT. But, you'll have much more control at this rallycross.

You can put yourself in a four-wheel drift, foot on the throttle, countersteering, more countersteering to whip the car around the opposite direction and set up for the next turn.

When you do it right you get the same feeling as a gymnist sticking a good landing!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by MaxGeek
I may go to watch and take pix. Definately don't have anything to drive in that event.
If we can get a couple cars together we can run dual drivers. Let me know if you want to give it a shot and I can try getting some cars to run.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:26 PM

What do you mean by dual drivers? 2 people in the same car? or 2 people sharing one car?
Old 06-23-2004, 03:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Optikal
If we can get a couple cars together we can run dual drivers. Let me know if you want to give it a shot and I can try getting some cars to run.
Dual drivers, eh? I don't have anything to drive in that event (my CRX wouldn't pass tech, I'm afraid) but it does look like it could be fun.
Old 06-23-2004, 03:36 PM

Do you think my Eclipse will pass the tech? I can raise the car higher if needed.

Quick Reply: Rallycross: Pacific Raceway July 18th