Pacific Northwest S2000 Owners For S2000 Owners in Washington, Idaho, and Alaska

Spokane Raceway: Line Diagram?

Old 09-14-2004, 01:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tedster,Sep 14 2004, 01:43 PM
Interesting about the paving; have they really re-paved the whole track?
When would they have the time? The track has been active since our last visit in March. I figure major work would be performed during the winter or a some sort of lull.

Perhaps Zimmy can confirm or deny.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no way of knowing, and there was nobody there to ask (no corner workers, nobody working the track, save one guy who didn't seem to do much more than collect some bucks and open the fuel station!). But the pavement was in excellent condition, with no marbles, very smooth, it looke fresh, and I had no trouble making Turn 3 at full throttle, so I'm wondering if things have changed since last March. I got the sense that the track isn't utilized as much as it might be....
Old 09-14-2004, 01:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ownership of the track is embroiled in a legal dispute. Short story version is they raised capital a long time ago by selling shares, then claim there has never been any profit to distribute. But they do almost all their business on a cash basis, and the owners subcontract with themselves to provide services at the track during drag races, so the money trail is very confusing.

They also have pulled stunts like negotiating a price for the track for the weekend, then when the racers pull up Fri night they get told the track now costs twice as much, take it or leave it.

Too bad it's not more professionally managed -- it's an interesting track in a region with only a few tracks available.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:54 PM

[QUOTE=jerrypeterson,Sep 14 2004, 01:05 PM]When would they have the time?
Old 09-15-2004, 06:30 AM

Given that the track was damp from about 10AM onward and given that I nver quite figured out Turn 2, my speeds through Turn 3 may have simply been much slower than Jerry's. My datalogs indicate that I was going through there between 115 mph and 120 mph but never higher. Jerry's got a supercharger, and we probably have similar power curves from 5K to the redline. So, his speeds may just be higher through the corner. By mid-afternoon, when I felt more comfortable with the track and my speeds got higher, the car felt very, very light over the crest of Turn 3, but (as I said) I never needed to hook a tire to avoid going track-right on exit. Once the car settled after the crest, the compression provided quite a lot of traction to keep the car from drifting out.
Old 09-15-2004, 06:56 AM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Jer Jer hook a tire Jer Jer
Old 09-15-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had to chime in here.

Turn 1: I'm completely convinced it can be taken flat out at 135+ and still make the turn in for 2. My right foot is not so easily convinced. You try it first.

Turn 2: A really challenging turn. I almost never feel like I got it just right.

Turn 3: Hook a wheel?!? I don't wan't to upset my car at 115+ mid-turn if I don't have to! There's plenty of room to stay tight on exit if you don't blow the turn in. Jerry is just going cone hunting over there. I find the 4-5 shift here right at turn-in to be unsettling. I usually short shift a couple hundred rpm before turn-in.

Turn 4ab: Can't seem to get this one just right either. Logically, if you can go full throttle immediately after turn-in, AND there is no danger of leaving the track on track out, then you should be able to turn in earlier and carry more speed. I spent a full track weekend trying to get this to pan out, but I always felt faster when I went back to the standard (late) turn-in. <shrug>

Turn 5: The braking zone always sneeks up on me as I'm racing to rev-limit in 3rd.

Turn 6: Always gotta back off the throttle before brakeing to avoid swapping paint with a BMW here.

Turn 7: Passing zone.

Turn 8/9/10: Kinda like 2, never feel like I got it just right. I agree with Jerry's comment about trying to get all the way over between 9 and 10. Seems like it should be faster, but is really uncomfortable. So I'm probably faster not doing it. Maybe I'm just carrying too much speed into 9.
Old 09-15-2004, 05:23 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Michael, pinch off exit of 8 (don't track out) to make 9 happen earlier to set up 10. When you get it right it flows and doesn't feel all out of time........... like JerJer .
Old 09-15-2004, 05:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, but it feels sloooow when I do that. Probably make it all up and then some on the front straight though.

- Michael
Old 09-15-2004, 05:49 PM

I don't know anything about 'hooking a tire', but if I don't get all the way to the apex in T3, the car feels very unsettled and squirrelly.

Do you (Michael and Ray) not experience that?

Quick Reply: Spokane Raceway: Line Diagram?