Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

35mm lifestyle

Old 07-15-2014, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35mm lifestyle

I saw there were a few threads from the past few years back, but I was curious if anyone here shot 35mm.

I have an older pentax with a ton of lenses, filters and other accessories that my grandpa left me when he passed away. I never brought them out to California, but I'm thinking why not, I need to take some better pictures anyways. So if you have a film setup what do you have and does anyone have any experience with converting the film to digital at home?
Old 07-15-2014, 12:40 PM

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,421 Posts

My gf has her MFA in Photography, and her emphasis was in traditional processes. We've got 35mm and 120, and I have my own AE-1, and my gf has a Pentax, Rollie, Holga, a few Lomos, a Yashica, a 35mm Stereoscopic, and the newest member to the family is a Polaroid (1965?) Land Camera.

As far as development, I don't do a lot; I'll take it over to the drug store (just vacation photos and herp derp for me). Le gf develops color at a lab in San Francisco, and she now does her B&W development at the house, either using low-odor B&W chemistry or, lately, a caffenol recipe.

We've not done any conversion at home, but I have done some scanning of (old) slides to digital using a standard document scanner. While the color was generally true to the slide, there wasn't enough power to get a good full HD-quality scan to scale or use in digital or re-print.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually was just reading about doing some film to negative conversion at home without a darkroom. Looks like I'm going to pick up a nice negative scanner and give it a shot. Should have everything I need by mid August (picking up the camera when I visit my parents next month). I think it'll be good fun and a little more challenging than shooting with my P/S s95.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:14 AM
Community Organizer

Received 217 Likes on 138 Posts

Hell to the yes! I still shoot with my Nikon F4, F2, and F, but not cars so much. I have a D700 (full frame) as well, but I don't think that counts.

here, now. by Ricky Flores, on Flickr

Kids. by Ricky Flores, on Flickr

ruff ryders. by Ricky Flores, on Flickr

Meiji Shrine. by Ricky Flores, on Flickr