Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

ALMS at Mosport

Old 08-31-2009, 05:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ALMS at Mosport

Shot with Sony a700/70-200 SSM with 1.4x TC

More to come.....
Old 08-31-2009, 08:50 AM

Couple more....

Old 08-31-2009, 09:05 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Very nice. Hope u got some shots from turn 2 at the crest or just after they hit the bump.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Some nice shots there.

As an aside, seems like some were either heavily saturated or else race teams are using WAY brighter paint colors than I'm used to seeing.
Old 08-31-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by adrs2k,Aug 31 2009, 01:05 PM
Very nice. Hope u got some shots from turn 2 at the crest or just after they hit the bump.
Not possible to get a good shot there w/o access.

The lizard shot is ok, not a fan. Too lose that you clipped the front of the car, but not tight enough to focus on one aspect of it.

This weekend was damn near perfect to try some dramatic stuff with the fog and such. I skipped it the last minute so I can finally work on the creatives that I've been planning for a while, but with the fog and lights, it would've been damn cool to shoot.

Black and white P1, that 5a or b? It's nice, but with more foliage + some wheelspin would've been nicer

Car 91 is oh so close. higher in the right corner and using the rubber laid down as leading line to the viewer seeing some apex kerb in lower left would've been sick. Look at where he's looking and look at the attitude of the car. I know the cars don't climb the kerbs there, but his entire attitude says he's going to attack that corner with a vengence; so you gotta give us something to see WHAT he's attacking. That turn 3 or 10? Angle suggests 3, could be wrong as I've yet to see a shot of a car going thru 10 shot from that angle.

Overall, they're good shots of cars on the track. Would like to see more that tells a story. Right now the story is cars and track; look back at these 6 months from now and see if you can tell they're of a race weekend, or a test session.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:48 PM

Thanks for the comments Borbor. This was my first time track-side with my camera. I will be the first to admit that I have a lot to learn.

B&W P1 is 5a, looking from the little access trail beside turn 4.

91 is turn 3.

I do have story-telling "racing" shots, however i took over 1000....and I'm slowly going thru them

Here is another of 5a, with more foliage...but I'm not exactly sure how to capture wheelspin

Old 08-31-2009, 02:45 PM

Does this shot tell a story?

I call it: "I wonder what #30 is yelling right now??"

Old 08-31-2009, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull 8 to 10 of your stuff from the weekend and see if you can chain a story to it.

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.a...torialproduct=2

then take a look at this set.

The wide angle pits stuff and the podium stuff, forget it. Unless you have a bib, you won't get those, I know that.

The rush of the start, the frantic of the pits (from head on), the shot with the crowd in it, all that adds to the picture for a race weekend. And you can get those at Mosport by parking yourself near that Mill street brewery sign, shoot it at 280mm and then just crop it after. You don't NEED a 500mm lens to shoot those; yes it's nice to have because you crop less, but it's not a need to see those things at this stage.

I must say however, for someone's first time track-side, this is a damn good job. At least the car isn't smack in the middle of the frame for every shot and the tilt isn't excessive.

I'm like you, I still have tons to learn, and my goal everytime I go out is to make something I haven't made before

Keep it up; you're off to a great start (much better start than where I was when I first started doing stuff at the track )
Old 08-31-2009, 03:33 PM

Thanks for that....I wonder who Rick Dole is. I made a point of trying to take a pic of all the pro shooters as a side project to the race.

I don't think its this guy....

My shooting was limited to turns 3 and 5...and then the open starting grid on race day, so I wasn't really able to get the right perspective that you suggest. But I am taking notes, and will remember for next year
Old 08-31-2009, 04:42 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by 03_AP1,Aug 31 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks for that....I wonder who Rick Dole is. I made a point of trying to take a pic of all the pro shooters as a side project to the race.

I don't think its this guy....

My shooting was limited to turns 3 and 5...and then the open starting grid on race day, so I wasn't really able to get the right perspective that you suggest. But I am taking notes, and will remember for next year
Could have been, except pros don't use Nikons.