Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Anyone shoot w/Pentax?

Old 02-12-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Anyone shoot w/Pentax?

I was curious if anyone shoots with Pentax cameras. I know my Dad does, and he likes it alot. This would be my first DSLR.

Also, what do you guys think about the specs on this model?
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+17313

I also have interest in the Sony alpha 350, and the Nikon D60.
I think this Pentax might be a good one to get, but wanted some opinions.

Trying to do homework before just going and buying a camera.

Thanks In Advance,
Roger
Old 02-12-2009, 03:12 PM

What about the specs on this one also:
http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/detail/PTX+19411

Kinda leaning towards the 1st one I posted, but would like a camera I can grow with for a while. Don't want to find out in the future that I shoulda just spent a couple hundreds bucks more and been happier.

Plus, I'm such a newb to cameras, and the jargon. Trying to educate myself a bit.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been using the Pentax LX system camera (their only pro 35mm film camera) for decades and would't want to change, but when it comes to digital I decided to look elsewhere (in spite of the fact that I already have the full LX system and a nice array of glass).

Ultimately you'll end up spending lots more on glass than the camera body, so go for a system that provides the range and types of lenses and accessories you think you'll need. With digital camera bodies you'll be upgrading every few years anyway, and the old body will be nearly worthless, but good glass is a lifetime inestment. I could be wrong, but I think you have a wider array of superior glass with Sony, but the best lenses come with higher prices than most other cameras, so IMO, it's a tough call. You might also want to take a look at Canon products.

BTW, if you buy a Nikon, you get a sensor that is manufactured by Sony. Probably not really relevant, since the processing is at least as important as the sensor itself.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RED MX5,Feb 12 2009, 07:20 PM
BTW, if you buy a Nikon, you get a sensor that is manufactured by Sony. Probably not really relevant, since the processing is at least as important as the sensor itself.
As far as I know, only a select few Nikons have confirmed to use sony sensors, namely D300, D80 and D40.

Its not that Pentax isn't any good, they just aren't very popular. Now that doesn't mean quality isn't there, it just means that stuff like lenses may be harder to come by. Just something to consider.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:05 PM

[QUOTE=03_AP1,Feb 12 2009, 08:50 PM]As far as I know, only a select few Nikons have confirmed to use sony sensors, namely D300, D80 and D40.

Its not that Pentax isn't any good, they just aren't very popular.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:32 AM

YOu are correct, the D70 does have a Sony sensor. The database I was looking at for my previous info didn't go back to discontinued bodies....had to look elsewhere.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Anyone else?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:54 AM

I have a K10d and love it.

You tend to get more for your money with Pentax gear. Pentax glass is highly regarded as well.

If you are like me and don't plan on going too crazy with this hobby, Pentax is a fine choice. If you think you might want to turn this into a living of some sort you should probably consider Canon or Nikon like everyone. Pentax just doesn't have the glass selection the others have.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:56 PM

i shoot with a Pentax and i'd have to agree with getting a good bang for the buck. the k2000 is pretty slick in an all white form but i'd hold off until photokina when Pentax should be releasing some info about their next flagship body. By then prices on the current flagship k20d should fall or you could get a better deal on the k10d.

for they hobbyist, the k2000 will have your average preset settings. but if you're interested in getting more control, try the two i mentioned above.

pentax makes some fine lenses (31, 43, 77 ltd) but do lack some good glass in the ultra-telephoto range.

one of the nice things about pentax is that any lens ever made for a pentax mount will fit on your dslr with the added bonus of in-body stabilization so you'll get less blurry photos.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Thanks for the info guys!!

Quick Reply: Anyone shoot w/Pentax?