Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Artic Butterfly 724

Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 AM
oss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Artic Butterfly 724

Canon 20D

Before

After

Expensive device but I am very happy

The uneven illumination is because it's a picture of the sky.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:59 PM

Missed a few.
Never heard of it...How does it work?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
oss

To be honest it sounds like a joke but it works really well

It's a cheap plastic powered brush, the head is made of special fibers that get statically charged when you spin the brush.

You charge the brush head by spinning it for 5 or 10 seconds in open air, then you bring it to the sensor and wipe once across the sensor. Because it's charged it attracts the dust.

You absolutely do not spin the brush while in contact with the sensor

The result above was after one wipe..!

I bought mine from warehouse express in the UK

The product is made by a company called Visible Dust, here is their website.

http://www.visibledust.com/

BTW that shot is taken at f22 at wider apertures the few remaining spots on the sensor will be pretty invisible.

I adhere to the "Clean Enough" philosophy, I'm not going to get paranoid about it
Old 02-01-2008, 03:57 PM

Looks good.

If the butterfly was 70% cheaper I'd be interested but it is not so I use the copperhill method with locally purchased supplies.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:17 PM
oss

Yes it's too expensive and the build quality of the thing is really shoddy..!

However I do like it, most of the crap on my sensor was introduced by me a couple of years back when I first tried to clean the 20D and this thing removed almost all of it in a couple of seconds.

I got the kit that includes the swabs and liquid formula but the butterly did such a good job that I'm going to give the swabs a miss for now.

I'm trying to work up the courage to try it on the 5D and 1D now although neither are anywhere near as dirty as the 20D was.

[edit]
Just had a look at your http://www.cleaningdigitalcameras.com/ link XHawkeye good link..
Old 02-01-2008, 07:05 PM
bkw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After getting over the first time of using Pec pads and Eclipse solution, I use it all the time and am no longer afraid of cleaning my sensor(s).

photographic solutions sells a warrior kit for the various sensor sizes out there. ~$20USD and it comes with every thing you need to clean your sensor.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:06 AM
oss

That Eclipse solution seems to be recognised as the best wet cleaner there is.

I think I'll get some, but unless my sensors get really bad welded on dirt I'll stick to the artic butterfly for general dusting.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by oss,Feb 2 2008, 04:06 PM
That Eclipse solution seems to be recognised as the best wet cleaner there is.

I think I'll get some, but unless my sensors get really bad welded on dirt I'll stick to the artic butterfly for general dusting.
Worthwhile getting some in. I've got an AB brush and I quite like it. The only down side is unless you are very careful you can pick up some lube from the mirror/shutter assembly and drag it across the sensor. No great hassle - you'll only do it once and a wet swab will easily remove it.

I use Eclipse and SensorSwabs for wet cleaning. Make sure you check which of the eclipse fluids is recommended for the 20d (I think it's the "normal" one)

Peter
Old 02-02-2008, 08:51 AM
oss

Originally Posted by Kiteland,Feb 2 2008, 05:13 PM
The only down side is unless you are very careful you can pick up some lube from the mirror/shutter assembly and drag it across the sensor. No great hassle - you'll only do it once and a wet swab will easily remove it.

I use Eclipse and SensorSwabs for wet cleaning. Make sure you check which of the eclipse fluids is recommended for the 20d (I think it's the "normal" one)

Peter
I have a great deal of mechanical sympathy Peter, barring accidents I should be ok, it is a bit nerve wracking though so thanks for the advice

I need to be able to clean the 1D, 5D, 20D and 10D so I'm going to need every size swab going and I'll need to check which solutions I need for each sensor too

Bleeding complex this cleaning lark
Old 02-04-2008, 04:03 PM

I still see dust after it was cleaned (in the pictures). Why not just use a rocket blower? It usually gets the job done and it's about $10. If that doesn't work then use a lens pen.

Quick Reply: Artic Butterfly 724