Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Bought an SB-900 to go along with my SB-600

Old 09-02-2010, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can't beat those strobes for super portability (battery operated). The 900 has more oomph so it is great to have on-camera for less-planned shoots. Can't say I ever needed the 5th AA battery adapter but it was an awesome thought.

But if it was strictly for home use... I use Smith Victor hot lights more for still shots. People are happier to be strobed than hot though so I'd be buying Alien Bees (or his higher-end White Lightnings) if I did a lot of studio portraits. I like the idea of monoblock lights, versus traditional pack lights.

You can get most of the benefit of the 3rd strobe by careful placement of a bounce panel for fill light. I do this because my 2nd strobe is an old SB-24 with a Wein Peanut slave sensor in the PC port. You'll laugh but I use an aluminum foil wrapped 3-ring binder for table-top shots about as often as my Photoflex '5-in-1' reflector.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:18 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I wonder if you would be better served by a lumedyne or similar system? Check craigslist I see deals on there all the time!

I have a lumedyne system with three packs and three heads along with 4 - 580exII's a 580ex and a 550ex along with 5 cp-e3's and 2 st-e2's. This is before I start talking about my studio lighting and all my remote trigger systems. Honestly I'm over flashed and way over spent but that's what happens over the years when you keep buying with no clear direction of what you want or where your going.

Dont let this happen to you, think about what you want to light, study it and buy what you really need.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Sep 2 2010, 06:00 AM
Just curious as to why you are buying so many small strobes instead of something like 2 Alienbees?
I can't speak for JB, but my 4 speedlights cost me a grand total of just over 200 bucks

Can't even get one AB for that price.

when I do have gigs that need proper strobes, I just go rent.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:28 PM
Former Moderator

I went the long route.....

First, I have my 580EXII with 2 Vivitars HVs. After that, I wanted modeling lights so I bought a strobe set from Amazon for $199. Came with stands, softboxes, reflectors, carrying case, the works. Still use it with no problems and great results.

When the time comes, I will get an alienbees package with 2 800s, but for not, the $199 kit works very well for my needs.
Old 09-03-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=JoeyBalls,Sep 2 2010, 12:00 AM] Well, from what I read the 200mm zoom does a good job of really "narrowing" down the are ya want lit, I dunno how to explain it, something like that