Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Buying my First DSLR and looking for advice Update 11/3

Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 AM
Site Moderator

Received 345 Likes on 300 Posts
Default Buying my First DSLR and looking for advice Update 11/3

Me and the wife are thinking about buying a DSLR for Xmas this year. Probably looking for a more budget beginner setup. I would like to keep it at around $500 but maybe something we can add to later. So my question is what are the most important things to look at on there. It seems like I can get a few different Canon and Nikon kits for this price but I am having a hard time figuring out which would be the better setup. Sony also has some nice looking ones but I hesitate with them since I know Canon and Nikon seem to have the most support in terms of lenses. Anyways if someone could break it down for me I would really appreciate it.

**Update 11/3**
I finally have an update as I was able to go to best buy and there also happened to be a camera expo this weekend near me where I could play with everything and see different lenses and cameras. The expo was the most helpful as I could walk to each table and compare each camera and every vendor had all of the models so I could mess around with the crazy expensive ones and the cheap ones to really get a feel for what I was paying for. Basically what I learned was for some reason I did not care for the canon's at all. They just didn't feel right. I did like Nikon and my favorite that was sort of in the price range was the 5200. They had a good deal on the 5100 with lenses as well. Finally there was the Sony's. No everyone had told me to stick with Canon or Nikon but I wanted to at least look at them and since best buy didn't have them I was happy they were at the convention. I got to play with their line of alpha cameras and ended up really liking the A65. It is on par with the 5200 in price but it is faster and higher megapixels and I actually liked the digital viewfinder. I was very close to buying either the 5200 or the A65 but they didn't take Amex and I felt I was rushing into it because I was at a limited time event. Also with the holidays I figured I should wait.

Then I got home and combed through Amazon adorama for hours. Now that I knew the few models I ultimately wanted I figured I may try and find a good deal. Ultimately through Amazon's warehouse deals I purchased a Sony A65 for $551 and a Tamron 28-200mm lens for $125. Grand total after tax was right under $740. With this I have a good deal but I also know if I find something better in the weeks to come I can always return it thanks to Amazon's return policy. I should have it on weds. We are very excited and thanks for everyone's help. Now to do a lot more reading on how to actually use this thing to its potential!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you what my brother told me when I was choosing between Canon and Nikon.

They are all great cameras. Buy the brand owned by somebody you know who has a lot of lenses. Lenses are where you spend the money. If you can borrow that long telephoto or wide angle that you'll use once a year from your buddy, the camera just became free.

I've had Nikons for a while, my brother has an excellent selection of Nikon lenses. I eventually bought my own, but I had access to his from the day I got the camera.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:31 PM

Im no professional by any means but I think the first question I would ask is what are you most interested in photographing with your camera? If you are looking to take standard pictures with sufficient lighting then I would recommend the Nikon D3100. Its a great beginner DSLR with plenty of preset options, a nice image sensor and easy to navigate menus. I believe one can be had for 300-500 with the Nikon 18-55 kit lens. It lacks a few features I wanted for time lapse and night photography so I upgraded to the D7100. I dont have any experience with Canon or any other manufacturer so I cant say which is better than the other. There are a lot of choices, so I would recommend taking the time to research and compare the different models and chose according to your needs and budget.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

I would not get an entry level DSLR. Spend the money the first time and do it right. Kind of like coil overs, dont get the cheap stuff, save the money and get the stuff you know you will want anyway. As an example, the entry level Nikon DSLR's do not have autofocus motors inside of them. Which means if you want to upgrade to a better lens down the road your options are much more limited and more expensive because a lot of the older and more affordable pro lenses do not have autofocus motors in them. I say get a good solid body right off the bat so your future options are not limited.

I like Nikon. I was open minded and walked into a Bestbuy and picked up a Nikon and picked up a Canon. The Nikon was far more intuitive to me and that is the brand I went with. There is not much between the two, so consider learning curve, and as someone else mentioned what do your friends have.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of reviews and comparisons between specific Nikon DSLR Vs the same level Canon DSLR. It all comes down to taste and what u want to do. Check youtube

I think the Canon EOS 600D is the perfect beginner choice. Also I don't think I will ever need more
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k
I like Nikon. I was open minded and walked into a Bestbuy and picked up a Nikon and picked up a Canon. The Nikon was far more intuitive to me and that is the brand I went with. There is not much between the two, so consider learning curve, and as someone else mentioned what do your friends have.
Advice here is solid. Go into a store and hold them, feel them, try some samples right in the store. Play with the menus and some basic settings. If you have a local photo store, go there, talk to someone about what you like to shoot, want to shoot. What are your goals?

If its standard stuff, there are probably some excellent high end point and shoot options out there with some flexibility and settings to play with.

Remember, when you buy into a DSLR, you buy into a system. The comments about lenses are true, and if you end up with just the kit lens, well, a P/S might be a better choice. Also, when figuring in costs, don't forget all the extras (memory, battery, maybe a tripod, bag, filters, cleaners, etc...). Also, when you bring the DSLR, you're probably bringing some bag for the camera and carrying it. A P/S fits in your pocket. Don't overlook that, particularly for every day shooting vs. specific photo trips.

I don't have the same issue as someone else about a beginner one. For that amount, if you use it for 2 years and decide you want more, you'll know a lot more and have an idea of where to go, what you like and what to look for. If you don't like the DSLR, you sell it, walk away and aren't out that much. The only pitfall as you move up over time (assuming you do) is that not every accessory or lens works with each camera body. Again, that's where a local shop can help you navigate through the product lines. Also, of course, do some comparisons on both companies (and others too) websites and dpreview.com .

You also didn't mention what you like to shoot or intend to shoot. That could be a significant factor, partly in the body choice, but more importantly, what lenses you might need, and the costs of those.

Good Luck, happy shooting!
Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Site Moderator

Well one of the primary things I would be taking picture of would be my car since my old PS seems to be taking worse and worse pictures and that is why I am deciding to finally step up and buy a real camera. the point about buying one you can borrow lenses for is a good one. One of the guys I work with is a camera buff as well and he has a nikon.

Adam I understand your point about buying a good one but one I just don't have the money to drop a grand on this and 2 I want something I can use and learn on without being overwhelmed by a $1000 camera i have no idea how to use. I rather learn on the cheaper one and upgrade later. Also technology is fairly different that car parts in that whatever I buy will be out of date within 3 years where are car parts generally have a much longer life and its not like there is major advances in short amount of time.

Basically I want to be able to take nice pictures of my car or when we go out for a drive as we have some pretty scenic places up here in the Pacfic NW. Also just for vacations and that sort of thing.

Sounds like I need to head to a camera shop and see whats what and wait for the deals to start rolling in for the holidays.

Is there any basic specs I should be looking at? My buddy mentioned wanting a wide ISO range. One of you mentions an autofocus so I will look for that feature as well.

Here are just a few I was eying that are around the price range I am looking at and seem to be decent starting points.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=761198

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-T3i-Digi...GN3D65A461WE65

This ones price makes it tempting but I would likely go for the T3i over it.
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3...GN3D65A461WE65

Nikon
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Digital-...ADN2CDJY9KJX3X

The sony's seem to be priced pretty well but I think lenses and stuff later could be an issue.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SLT-A58K-...J9ADY5XH3HYNX3

Anyways I am going to try and stop by a camera shop near my work this week to talk with them. They also rent out lenses for reasonable prices according to the guy I work with. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Manga_Spawn
Well one of the primary things I would be taking picture of would be my car since my old PS seems to be taking worse and worse pictures and that is why I am deciding to finally step up and buy a real camera. the point about buying one you can borrow lenses for is a good one. One of the guys I work with is a camera buff as well and he has a nikon.

Adam I understand your point about buying a good one but one I just don't have the money to drop a grand on this and 2 I want something I can use and learn on without being overwhelmed by a $1000 camera i have no idea how to use. I rather learn on the cheaper one and upgrade later. Also technology is fairly different that car parts in that whatever I buy will be out of date within 3 years where are car parts generally have a much longer life and its not like there is major advances in short amount of time.
No one said spend $1000. There are deals out there, but it will be hard to not spend $750-$1000 because you will most likely want multiple lenses to cover multiple distances and types of shots. All I am saying is dont go entry level, as you will want to upgrade later and will lose money. Save a little more money and get something better and you wont need to upgrade. There are some awesome deals on adorama.com right now. You can get a refurbished Nikon 7000 for $650 then throw in another lens and a memory card, etc and be around $800 and then you will be set for a VERY long time. Why do it twice? I bought my D90 with 2 lenses and a bunch of extras for $1,000 4 years ago and I dont need to upgrade bodies. Camera technology is not like other technologies out there. They are not quickly evolving and leaving you feeling inadequate. Some of the best cameras out there are still some of the oldest ones!!! Yes every year they create a camera with more pixels and more autofocus points, and a few other bells and whistles but its nothing ground braking. The majority of pro's out there are using older camera bodies and dont upgrade every time a new version comes out. These aren't cell phones with rapid technology advancements. Camera's really dont go out of date. Shit one of the best pro lenses out there was designed in the 1980's and is still widely sold today!!

You can learn on a cheap camera, and on an expensive camera...it really makes no difference. They all do the same things, and do it in pretty much the exact same way. A camera is a camera. You control light with it.

As for car photography, you really dont need to worry about ISO because ISO adds noise. I personally set ISO at 100 and never adjust it. If you shoot in low light situations then you will need a tripod and can adjust shutter speed to allow more light in.

I am basically telling you things that I have read and was told when I researched moving from a decent point and shoot to a DSLR. I am glad I listened to people and went with a D90 at a minimum. I am a do it once and do it right the first time kind of person... I went in thinking all I could afford was a D5000 (afford meaning buy at that exact moment in time) but I held out another month and spent more money and couldn't be happier.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Site Moderator

Ok noted. I will keep looking. I expect there to be some deals coming up.

Hmm costco has some good bundles.

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D3200-DS...100007777.html

http://www.costco.com/Canon-EOS-Rebe...100075344.html

I think the nikon one looks better.
Old 10-29-2013, 03:17 PM

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-T3i-vs-Nikon-D3200

I'd go with the Nikon. You won't be disappointed.

Quick Reply: Buying my First DSLR and looking for advice Update 11/3