Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

D3000 vs. D5000

Old 03-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depending on the track, you'll want 300mm.

There are some cheaper 70-300 zooms out there. Tamron just released a VC version for nikon.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 191 Likes on 118 Posts

Thanks. I am thinking I should jump on that refurbished D90, then sort out some lenses later. Seems its easier to find decently priced, used lenses.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:29 AM

I use a 18-200mm VR lens on my D90 and sometimes wish I had more...I would suggest getting the 70-300mm
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM

remember that the d90 is going to decrease in price as it ages, so jumping on the d90 for $689 is a good deal (i got mine for $700 used from craigslist about 2months ago). i still think the best purchase u can make (lens wise) is the tamron 17-50 2.8 ... it's incredibly sharp for $500 new (u can find it used for $400, thats how much i got mine for). if you can afford it, go with the VC version, u'll appreciate being able to take shots in moderately low lighting w/o needing a tripod.

i dunno what you have planned for lenses, but i have the nikkor 50 1.8 (great lens for creating bokeh, very crisp, and the 1.8 is a beast), the tamron ofcourse, and i'm looking to buy the 55-200vr (but realistically im saving up for the 70-200 2.8)

gl with your huntings and hope u get the d90
cheers
francis
Old 03-10-2010, 08:51 PM

camera bodies come and go but good glass lasts forever.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:14 AM

Received 799 Likes on 442 Posts

Originally Posted by adrs2k,Mar 10 2010, 10:17 AM
Is that a decent price? To me it seems like a good deal. Just honestly not sure if I want to buy something like this used. Thoughts? What lense would you guys reccomend for me? I will be shooting race cars, and landscapes/sunsets mostly right now. I think I need something with a large focal length.

AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens (USA)? I could buy a refurbished D90 body for $689, and the 55-200mm lense for an additional $160 refurbished. I know I will still need a smaller focal length lense as well, but this could be a good way to get started on a budget.

Question though, with my current point and shoot, i have an effective focal length of 31-465mm. One thing I need for shooting cars is more "zoom" at the track. The 55-200mm is probably still not enough though. What would you reccomend? I am not a professional photographer, its just a hobby, so I can't go buying thousand dollar lenses.
My thoughts:

You're going to be looking at a compromise. Everything in photography is (from a purchase standpoint), unless you have unlimited funds. Then, even once you have every possible lens and gadget, its a compromise of what you can carry, unless you have hired staff to carry your gear for you. Then its a compromise of what is happening in the world and what you are ready for. See the picture here?

Chances are the lens you want to use for landscape and scenery will not be suitable for your track shooting. The 18-200 MAY or MAY NOT give you the range you are looking for. The AF MAY or MAY NOT be fast enough for the track.

Unfortunately, the typical combination of something on the short end (17-85, 18-55, 12-24, etc..) + the 70-200 2.8VR and probably a TC for the long/fast end is cost prohibitive for many people.

Your compromise here may be that without those, you'll end up with scenery not as wide as you'd like, and the action shots a bit far away (at least you can crop those to get closer).

GL with your decision. You may want, once you've got a body, rent a lens or two from a local shop to see how they perform and serve the purpose you want them too.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:38 AM

Thank you for your input. This is just a casual hobby for me, but I have been gettting very critical of my cameras performance. I really though jumping to the D5000 would be a big enough step up, that it would be enough. But then realized the D90, for a little bit more money, is much better, and I wont be able to outgrow it.

Good idea on the lense rental. There are a lot of local NASA events here, so I should be able to get a lot of practice shooting cars. Lenses def are a compromise. I did a lot of reading yesterday, and learned a lot more.

I think I will end up buying a body and hopeuflly find a shope that rents lenses.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:47 AM

I love my D5000.

If your not looking to do big external flash setups id just go with the D5000 and a 55-200mm Nikkor Zoom and a 35mm F/1.8 Nikkor

all i own is the D5000 VR Kit. but my dad has the same kit plus those two lenses. love em.

Heres some samples of the D5000 kit with no accessories.(shot in raw and edited in lightroom)

Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 AM

Those are some nice shots!

The D5000 does seem fully capable, and not to mention, fits the budget a lot better. I am just a casual photographer. I take pictures mainly for myself, and just looking for a camera that will do a better job. My standards of exceptable photos has raised, and I struggle with my current setup. I do feel the D90 is overkill, but like that it is "more" camera.

I will never use big external flashes. I just need a camera that is good for shooting cars at speed, and some landscapes.

AHHHH, I can't make up my mind!
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 AM

It's funny I came across this. I have been researching this for the last 3 weeks. This is a gift for my fiancé who wanted to get into photography. I basically ended up with the d5000 due to the fact that it offered more features (some not really needed but there none the less) and has more room to grow and advance with it until a heavier upgrade is needed.

The difference between the two are pretty much the d5000 offers you live view which is good to have here and there for some shots but with any slr camera you should be using the viewfinder. The d5000 also allows you to shoot up to 5minute clips of hd video which is nice to have but again not really needed. If you want hd video I would suggest an hd camcorder, I personally just picked up a sony hdr-cx115/r and love it (again after heavy researching). Can't wait to get some videos up when my S2000 build is finish.

Pretty much the d5000 is similar to d90 since they share the same sensor and pretty much the same guts give or take some advancements. Also I belive the d90 is a full frame camera FX giving you more in the frame. That makes it a great entry level slr for the $700 price mark. Here is a good review on the d5000

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/default...vew=nikon+d5000

Since she was going to need some accessories anyway I picked up her this bundle pack from best buy which does same you some dough and grabs you a 55mm - 200mm VR DX lens.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+D5000DX+...999125700050020

I originally wanted this one but is was backordered at the time.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Nikon+D5000+12...999126700050012

Most likely I will return the one above and pay the extra for this one. The 70mm - 300mm VRII FX lens that comes with this got great reviews for a consumer lens. It also features VRII for better stability and movement reduction. You pretty much getting this lens for about $300 which is a steal for ED glass and VRII. The plus with this lens is also she'll grow into it and again last longer before she upgrades to a more professional lens. Also since the d5000 is a DX camera the current zoom will be crop to I think 430mm which is not big loss since like pretty much a lot of people are using this on a casual level and not high end career level. Also the extra zoom is nice for all kinds of shots. You'll just have to play with the focusing to get the 300mm to work well at the spectrum but at 70mm to 200mm this lens is fanatics when it comes to clarity.

Hope this helps. Again can't believe the timing of someone asking this exact questioned lol.

Mike