Photography and Videography Tips, techniques and equipment for taking great photographs and videos. Come here for advice and critique on your photos and videos. To show off your S2000 go to The Gallery

Doing better with food photography!

Old 02-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFRs2000NYC,Feb 7 2011, 04:23 PM
My only recommendation would be slightly less OOF material. You want SOME depth of field, but not too much where you can barely make out the dish.
I hear ya, I've noticed some majorly blurry stuff in my work lately. I, too, feel like I need to dial it back a bit (at times).

thanks for the c.c. !
Old 02-07-2011, 08:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ I pointed that out with my suggestion thus far in this thread.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy
I remember your original thread and I remember giving you pointers. FTR your thread is here. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=818178&hl=

Glad to see your sticking with it. Your pics look good but and I preach caution here be sure you don't get stuck in the macro mode, your pics above are borderline on being shot too tight, also keep in mind drawing the viewer into the shot. The last shot with the sushi those chopsticks leading the frame are really distracting the viewer from the food. The one above that the dessert try a little lower angle highlighting more of the dessert and less of the plate.

The collage shot above that, nicely done

The first 2 well done, and a good example of what I am saying about the dessert shot but just a tad more food in focus would be better. Your doing well keep it up.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy
I remember your original thread and I remember giving you pointers. FTR your thread is here. https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...pic=818178&hl=

Glad to see your sticking with it. Your pics look good but and I preach caution here be sure you don't get stuck in the macro mode, your pics above are borderline on being shot too tight, also keep in mind drawing the viewer into the shot. The last shot with the sushi those chopsticks leading the frame are really distracting the viewer from the food. The one above that the dessert try a little lower angle highlighting more of the dessert and less of the plate.

The collage shot above that, nicely done

The first 2 well done, and a good example of what I am saying about the dessert shot but just a tad more food in focus would be better. Your doing well keep it up.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM

Hey guys -

Some fun news to relate here. About 3 months after I started this thread, I got contacted by a publisher to do a cookbook! From April 1st until July 15th, my girlfriend and I worked tirelessly to make our dream come true. Today (literally - I'm kind of taking a mini break from proofing) - our book gets turned in for the last time, and ships off to go to print tomorrow. The book is 450 pages, with 215 recipes. Over 500 PHOTOS!

The book website is here: www.MakeitPaleo.com Our Amazon.com video is up on that website, which we shot ourselves too!

Thought you guys would get a kick out of it. We started our food blog about a year ago, and 1 year later, we have a 450 pages cookbook! Just goes to show that hard work pays off!
Old 08-20-2011, 05:44 AM

Congratulations! I looked at some of the preview pages, they looked great!
Old 08-20-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks great!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:21 AM
Banned

Tons of improvement, and shallow DoF really does work well on food but I think you still need work on composition.

EDIT: Congrats on the cook book! Feels great to see your work in print, doesn't it?
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I like them a lot as well, but think vividracing.com makes a valid point. For instance in the first photo, what is it a photo of, i.e. what is the name of that dish?

The shallow depth of field draws my attention to that little bit of vegetables in the front. Is the essence of that dish the vegetables or the meat? With the exception of the little bit of meat on the far right, only the vegetables are in focus. Speaking of composition, having the little bit of meat on the far right in focus makes the composition feel off because some of my attention is draw to a region out of the frame.
Old 09-07-2011, 09:10 PM

Those photos up top are almost a year old! Check out some of the newer shots (not from the book, but taken afterward for the blog):

They're not all perfect, but I think they show marked improvement from the photos at the top of this thread!